This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Ecoroute HD Impressions and Suggestions

After having used the Ecoroute for several days I have grown to like it. My first impression was not good after having used the Scangauge and my judgement was in haste.

There are some things that need to be improved. Perhaps in the next firmware releases.

1. Startup screen on the Nuvi needs to remain where it was last. I don't like having to touch the screen four times to get to the mileage screen where I last left the unit.

2. The running fuel average screen needs a red (or yellow) line across the screen showing the overall average.

3. The running average screen needs to be scalable. I don't really need the last two hours of data and would like to have a choice of ranges perhaps in 30 minute increments.

4. More gauges need to be added to the gauge screen. May be difficult because the display of some values on an analog dial may not be useful. Maybe make some of the gauges digital.

5. Make some display fields on the expanded speedometer screen customizable. I would like to add fuel economy to that screen but the screen for now is "what it is". I have found no way to change that.

6. POI's should display over the Ecoroute screens as they do for the maps. Currently the device just beeps but does not tell you why.

7. Have a touch point on the screen that will immediately display the map screen.

8. Conversely on the map screen have a touch point that will return to the prior screen displayed. Currently the back arrow on the map screen always returns to the home screen.

9. Provide an extension for the OBDII port with a left or right exit from the plug. A 6 inch extension would be nice.

The gas mileage on the Nuvi is higher than what my vehicle displays. Also the gas consumption displayed on the Nuvi seems low. I will found out which is corrent the next time I fill up the tank.

But overall, it is a very good start and has a lot of potential.

Comments

• I like your suggestions. I hope Garmin will refine the software and provide many of those suggestions as improvements. If other digital gauges (SGII, for instance) can provide additional info (ala XGauge), I would like to think that the ecoRoute HD can too.

I understand the fuel economy display will calibrate itself as you input more data each time you fill up. I think the SGII does something similar, correct?

Relative to your point 3, you can change the time period displayed. Just want to make sure you know that. Note the 10 minute interval displayed in my screen shot below.

I recently left the 1690 running on the gauge screen after an engine shutdown (I knew I would be away just a few minutes). When I cranked back up, I did the 1 thousand-1 routine and hit 15 seconds before the guages came back to life and showed fresh data. So it sounds like it takes about 15 seconds for the HD device to re-establish connectivity and send new data to the GPS. Just a point of reference. I imagine the SGII data is pretty much instantaneous when you crank up, is that right?

I thought I'd toss in a few screen shots to illustrate some of your points.

Expanded speedometer withOUT ecoRoute HD:

Expanded speedometer WITH ecoRoute HD:

Fuel economy screen:

Sample gauge screen:
  • rayt435 5 Points
    I was also able to get the fuel economy display showing the last 10 minutes. However, notice the text. VIEWING rather than DISPLAYING. What you see is a static display that does not change. The mileage screen seems to stop at the five hour point. I really don't want five hours, I want to be able to specify the amount I want to be on the live display.

Yes, the SGII does get better as you provide more fillup information. I don't know that the Ecoroute does that as I have not seen it in the documentation. I have not had the unit long enough to determine if accuracy improves over time. On my last fillup, first time with the Ecoroute, the Ecoroute indicated I had used 12.5 gallons when I really have used 13.6 gallons. I will have to see how close it is on the next fill up.

In my opinion there needs to be some enhancements in the firmware and hope there will be as time goes by.
  • rayt435 5 Points
    Well I did my first fillup after using the Ecoroute. The GPS said I did 376 miles, my car said I did 372 miles. Close enough. Gas consumption from the Ecoroute was 14.5 gallons, actually put in 14.3 gallons. Close enough I guess.

This is significantly better than the last time I filled up. I suppose the next fillup might be even closer. The minor discrepancy is about inline with the Scanguage differences. In two years of using that device it was only dead-on once with usually a half gallon or less discrepancy.

I would still like a selectable range on the mileage screen. I don't need 5 hours and would prefer much less. I also would like overall mileage to appear on the expanded speedometer screen.

But for a first attempt Ecoroute seems to be OK. Next updates should be interesting I hope.
  • Boyd 1974 Points
    1. Startup screen on the Nuvi needs to remain where it was last. I don't like having to touch the screen four times to get to the mileage screen where I last left the unit.
    I don't use Ecoroute, but FWIW, the new 3700 series Nuvi's finally have this feature. When the unit automatically shuts down (external power is lost), it enters sleep mode. It awakens instantly, and will be in the exact same state as when it shut down. Whatever screen you were viewing will be restored without having to page through any menu's.

AFAIK, this feature is unique to the 3700 series, and at the present time there is no EcoRoute HD compatibility (although it is anticipated).
  • rayt435 5 Points
    Well, the Ecoroute lost the connection between the GPS and the OBDII unit. :evil:

I did nothing special except to shut off the vehicle and let the GPS power down normally. When I restarted the car three hours later the connection was lost. I had to reestablish the connection.

So there are still issues with the unit that need to be resolved.
  • I had that happen once early on, but the HD and the 1690 were still so new to me, I don't know if it lost the connection or if I didn't wait long enough before I began pushing buttons or just what. Since then it's been rock solid.

I have had issues of my BT connection to my phone being lost when I exit the vehicle with the phone on my person. I can't remember if I'm leaving the GPS running or if I let it shut down before I exit the vehicle. IAC, I have to go into the GPS BT settings and select the button for my phone and let it reconnect again.
  • Boyd 1974 Points
    I have to go into the GPS BT settings and select the button for my phone and let it reconnect again.
    I have just started using bluetooth with my phone and Nuvi 3790, and I see the same issue sometimes. Haven't quite figured out the pattern, but choosing the phone again from the Nuvi menu reconnects, as you said.
  • speed13b 81 Points
    Does the 3790T work with ecoroute HD? The PC Mag editors choice review off the Garmin web page says it does...yet I cant get it to work??? Any hep or advice is appreciated!
  • Boyd 1974 Points
    It is not on the list of products that are compatible

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=38354#productTab

Compatible products for this item are:

nüvi® 1260T
    nüvi® 1370T
    nüvi® 1390T
    nüvi® 1490T
    nüvi® 1690

This was discussed elsewhere, and somebody claimed to have been told by Garmin that compatibility would be provided in a future firmware update. But I haven't seen anything official from Garmin
  • speed13b 81 Points
    Well then Garmin needs to remove or edit that review from the website...it's misleading and inaccurate. Hopefully Garmin enables ecoroute HD in all the 3700 series models.
  • rayt435 5 Points
    I am still having problems with the unit failing to connect. For example I leave work and the Ecoroute is not active. I get home and shut everything off as a I normally do. I leave an hour later and the unit connects. Sometimes I have to physically force it to connect, other times it connects on it's own. I change nothing. I have no idea what is causing the issue.

It is rather annoying and is fast approaching irritating.

I did install the new map update to the 1490T last night. This morning my unit no longer beeped when touching the screen and no Ecoroute connection. Grrrr. When I got to work I shut everything down. Waited a minute. Started the car, GPS powers on, I then connect Ecoroute manually. All is well and the touch screen is beeping again. Double GRRR.

So what is going on? As it is now the unit is not reliable. Is it the Ecoroute? Is it the 1490T?
  • That would be pretty frustrating to me too.

Yesterday, I cranked my truck up for the first time in over a week (been gone on vacation) and the HD device connected immediately. I have no idea what sort of issue you're running into.

Does Garmin TS offer any help? Refresh my memory.. did you ever do a hard reset of the GPS?
  • rayt435 5 Points
    Refresh my memory.. did you ever do a hard reset of the GPS?
    Nope. Have never seen the need, that is until you mentioned it.

The issue is not consistent. Sometimes it will connect in exactly the same place it failed to connect the previous day. Leaving work is one example. All I do is start the car, the GPS powers up as it supposed to do. When I get the warning scren I touch OK, touch the map icon, then the speed icon to get the expanded speed display. When I get the old screen I know the Ecoroute has not connected.

I get home and shut off the car with the GPS powering off by itself. Next morning everything is connected.

I do have bluetooth on my phone and car. Maybe that is interfering although it should not.
  • From what I've read, a hard reset can cure many ills. This is likely the first thing Garmin Tech Suport will have you do.

I don't know the specific procedure for your 1490T, but it may be something like this (for 8xx series): (see alternate procedure further below)
    http://www.poi-factory.com/node/26136

Do backup your favs and routes, if that's important to keep. You'll lose any custom settings too.

Have you backed up your 1490T at all? First thing I did when I got my 1690 was to backup *all* the files on the device to my computer. You have to make sure hidden files are visible too. *Then* I updated my firmware and maps.

I also assume you have the latest firmware for the 1490T?

Doing a little Google search work, I came across this procedure which should work for both your 1490T and my 1690. I'd bet this might just cure your issues if your 1490T was working fine before. Interesting that this procedure leaves out the 8xx line.

- Master Reset on the nuvi® 2xx, 2x5, 465, 5xx, 6xx, 7xx or 1xxx:

Note: A master reset will erase all waypoints or favorites and will restore your unit to the default factory settings.

1. Start with the unit OFF and unplugged from power
    2. Touch and hold the lower right corner of the screen with an index finger or the eraser end of a pencil
    3. Continue touching and holding the lower right hand corner of the screen then power the unit ON
    4. Release the power button when the device powers ON
    * You will see a new message: Do you really want to erase all user data?
    5. Remove your finger from the touchscreen when this message displays
    6. Touch Yes

The device will automatically reset. Please follow the on screen prompts on the nüvi and when completed place your device in an area with a clear view of the sky until it acquires satellites.
  • I'm posting suggestions somewhat out of order. Hopefully you'll read all responses before you try them.

Before you try the above, I suggest you first do an update of your software.

TO UPDATE SOFTWARE :

The preferred way to update the Unit Software in a Garmin device is by using WebUpdater.

WebUpdater is a free application that can be downloaded and installed on the computer. It guides through the process of updating the unit software in a Garmin device. WebUpdater can be run at any time to check and install applicable Unit Software updates in a Garmin device.

To download WebUpdater click here.

WebUpdater updates the applicable Garmin device with the most current software version available. After updating the device take it to open sky for 15mins atleast.
  • rayt435 5 Points
    Oh, I am very familiar with resetting the unit. Have had to it several times in the past. Even had one unit that bricked and had to be returned as the reset would not work.

I also use the web updater as I have removed all the unnecessary language files and speed files that I will never use. Just left German and English. MyGarmin replaces those files. Web Updater wants to replace them but I deny it the priviledge.

Waypoints and other such items are not a concern as they are stored in Mappoint.
  • You're in good shape then.

I'll be curious to know if the master reset makes a difference for you.
  • rayt435 5 Points
    I have figured out what the problem is with the connection issues. And it is reproducable.

I start my car and start moving almost immediatley which is before the 1490T has fully initialized. After driving a few hundred feet I finally get the disclaimer screen and touch OK. At that point there is no connection to the EcoRoute.

Now if I sit and wait to move until the unit has fully initialized the connection is fine.

So the problem is the 1490T will not connect to the Ecoroute if the vehicle is in motion. Garmin needs to allow this, or change the startup code to initialize the Ecoroute first before loading the maps. That may solve the issue.

Are you listening Garmin?
  • Boyd 1974 Points
    If you really care, it should be submitted to Garmin support:

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/cache/offonce/us/support/supportcontact
  • I'll have to try that with my 1690 and see if I can reproduce your results.

I did have a glitch yesterday. Cranked up, gauges initially looked good and I drove off. Shortly thereafter, I noticed my instant mpg display was blank. Hmm, no HD connection. Then I had trouble answering a call and noticed my BT wasn't working either.

After I shut down at my next stop and then cranked up, both the HD and BT were working normally again. Wonder if that was related to your discovery? I don't recall how quickly I drove away when I had that issue above.

For good measure, I did a master reset on the 1690 last night. Thought it might be a good idea after upgrading the maps to 2011.20. Hope that's not necessary in the future as I lost my BT, HD connection and all my custom settings (which I expected). I save my current.gpx file and saved my favs and routes.
  • rayt435 5 Points

If you really care, it should be submitted to Garmin support:

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/cache/offonce/us/support/supportcontact
    I would. But submitting a support request to Garmin is even less reliable than the Ecoroute. I get a page saying the page cannot be displayed. It seems that Garmin's theory of intermittent operation also extends to their web operation.

I am really getting annoyed.
  • rayt435 5 Points
    I'll have to try that with my 1690 and see if I can reproduce your results.

I did have a glitch yesterday. Cranked up, gauges initially looked good and I drove off. Shortly thereafter, I noticed my instant mpg display was blank. Hmm, no HD connection. Then I had trouble answering a call and noticed my BT wasn't working either.
    In all cases my BT continues to work between the phone and the car.

After this morning I am not so sure about the timing issue anymore. I waited until the maps started loading with no success. I waited until the maps had finished loading with no success. Next time I need to wait until I get the warning screen and see what happens.

But if this is the case, screw it. I am no going to sit for 2 minutes each time I start my vehicle to wait for Ecoroute to connect. That is a real deal killer. My patience is running thin on a product that is proving to be unreliable.
  • I don't blame you.

After my hard reset yesterday, I jumped in my truck this morning, clicked the 1690 into the powered mount, cranked up the truck and as soon as the 1690 powered up, went through the screens to get to the HD connection and told it to connect. I immediately drove away (without waiting for the connection to be established). In just a few seconds it established the connection (while moving) and all works normally. I had to change the gauge page to show my preferred gauges (as expected), but operation continued without a hitch.

Sorry you're having so much trouble.

Did you ever try the hard reset? I hope you'll at least try that before tossing it in the trash.
  • rayt435 5 Points
    I immediately drove away (without waiting for the connection to be established). In just a few seconds it established the connection (while moving) and all works normally.
    Well, so much for my theory about motion. I have, on more than one occasion, tried resetting the connection twice while moving. In all the cases the 1490T says no connection can be found. I have had to reset the connection while in the driveway waiting to leave. Hence my theory, since proved wrong, about motion.

I have had several cases where there is no connection and I just leave it alone. Next time I am in the vehicle it connects, only to dropped the next time I use the vehicle. Grrr.

I have sent a message to Garmin support. If they tell me to clear my browser cache I will know support is clueless and once worked for Comcast support.
  • I have similar trouble. I'm on my second ecoroute module and still get hit and miss connections. Tried resets, updates etc. Garmin is no help.
  • Makes no sense to me. Mine is rock solid. Have you done the hard reset procedure on your nuvi? Not sure exactly what you mean when you say you've tried resets.
  • The solution is to remove the mlg_history file in the SQL Lite folder under the hidden .System folder. The file contains mileage history and is apparently rebuilt if it does not exist. I may not have the exact names correct but they are close enough to allow anyone to find the offending file.

For Windows 7 and Vista you have to enable the view of hidden and system folders in the NUVI drive when it is connected to the computer.

Removal of this file solves many problems including the loss of all sound from the NUVI. I think there is a problem with a value in the file that causes a storage location overflow destroying another part of memory. A value is getting too large as the file looks OK in SQL Lite. Garmin is not handling a value properly.
  • Is this solution unique to the 1490T or do you know if it applies across the board?

I take it yours has been solid since you deleted the offending file?

I see that file in my sqlite folder:
  • Delete the mlg_history.db file and you should be OK. The file is recreated if it does not exist and that basically creates a new file that the NUVI understands.

Deleting that file solved the Ecoroute connect problem and the no sound problem. I have had to delete the file twice so apparently the problem comes back. Deleting is not a permanent solution as you will probably have to delete the file, again, sometime in the future.

From my experience two problems are related to this file. So Garmin definitely has an issue they need to resolve.
  • rayt435 is correct -- it:

1) solved my voice issues
    2) boot up time was significantly decreased and,
    3) the next time your Nuvi is powered up, the history file is started anew.

How come Garmin cannot fix this issue in a firmware update is beyond me. I just wonder how many warranty returns they took in for such a small glitch.

BTW, the mlg_history file on my unit was 90K lines long, with an entry written every 2 seconds - do the math and that is about 50 hours of record time (just about when I started to have sound issues with my Nuvi). :D
  • I just wonder how many warranty returns they took in for such a small glitch.
    I also wonder. Tech support by email told me the solution. It seems that not all the people at tech support know about the issue. Garmin needs to step it up, fix the issue, and inform their tech support staff of the issue or put it in a knowledge base.

This issue is one of those "stupid" problems that should not be allowed to exist. I believe it is a buffer overflow and today those should not be happening.
  • I still have to wonder if this is specific to the 1490. As you can see, at the time I took the snapshot, my history file was over 6 MB. I have no issues with slow booting, etc. My ecoRoute HD connects within seconds.

By the time I crank up and start backing out of the garage, the 1690 and the ecoRoute HD are both operational.

The 1690 is an order of magnitude faster cranking up than my old SP2610.
  • I still have to wonder if this is specific to the 1490.
    Good question that I cannot answer. Perhaps the memory organization is different for the 1490. The problem may exist in all Ecoroute GPS units but only the 1490 has a memory location that gets corrupted that is important to the operation of the unit. In other units the corruption occurs in a part of memory that is not important.
  • ...This morning my unit no longer beeped when touching the screen and no Ecoroute connection. Grrrr. When I got to work I shut everything down. Waited a minute. Started the car, GPS powers on, I then connect Ecoroute manually. All is well and the touch screen is beeping again. Double GRRR.
    That problem is definitely not limited only to the 1490T. I have had the exact same problem with my 1390T. Whenever I hit the first button after boot up and don't hear a beep, I know that all buttons will be muted and ecoRouteHD connection will fail. Just like you, I have to reboot to make it work again--hopefully Garmin will have this issue resolved soon.

Something I noticed is when I first open the ecoRouteHD gauge display, RPMs are being displayed almost real-time for just over half a second, then the values begin to update at their regular speed. I wish Garmin would increase the refresh rate of the gauge display data so the needles aren't jumping all over the place. Also, it would be great if they allowed users to modify the color scheme(or overall appearance) of the gauges to more closely match the colors of different cars' gauge clusters.

Edit: going to try rayt435's solution when I get home tonight!
  • going to try rayt435's solution when I get home tonight!
    I would wager a peanut and butter sandwich that my solution will also work on your unit.

There is a buffer overflow that is happening I highly suspect. Garmin needs to resolve the issue by either fixing the size of the buffer or putting some code to trap size issues in the data going into the buffer. It is sloppy programming on the part of Garmin.
  • going to try rayt435's solution when I get home tonight!
    I would wager a peanut and butter sandwich that my solution will also work on your unit.

There is a buffer overflow that is happening I highly suspect. Garmin needs to resolve the issue by either fixing the size of the buffer or putting some code to trap size issues in the data going into the buffer. It is sloppy programming on the part of Garmin.
    Tried the fix last night, and so far so good!

• I've been going back and forth with Garmin Tech support since July with some issues with my HD.

We have gotten some of the issues resolved, but I still:

1 - Do not get instant MPG on the fuel economy screen (or anywhere else).

2 - Only get four gauges. MPG, RPM, Intake preasure and voltage.

I have a 2002 Ford F-250 diesel. I fairly certain that more OBDII data is avaliable.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
  • I believe that I have isolated the problem in the mlg_history.db that is causing connection and sound problems. It only seems to occur if you go an extended distance between inputting information on the "At The Pump" screen.

My system was working fine. But on a long trip I skipped inputting the pump information, which in my opinion really only calculates mileage. My opinion is probably not correct.

Anyway, after skipping an update, then doing an update, I am now back at slow map loading screens, one of the indicators of a problem. I deleted the offending file and all is well again.

This again reaffirms my feelings that there is a buffer overflow issue.
  • Actually, the only reason that I bought the ecorouteHD was to see instantaneous MPG as I could on my ScanGuage. In looking at the OB-II list of parameters it looks like (to my surprise) there isn't one for instantaneous MPG so it must be computed by ScanGuage.
    Anyway, it would still be possible for Garmin to do that computation, since it would be such a useful piece of feedback to the ecologically-minded driver, or to allow the time period on the extended speedometer display to be dialed down to a few seconds, which would accomplish the same thing.
  • Just went for a drive and discovered that there is now instantaneous update of mileage in the "Fuel Economy" display. That's nice, but I would still like it to be a gauge in the "Gauge" display so I would have everything in one place and not have to change the display to see it.
  • That would be a good suggestion for an update to the HD firmware.
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    Worth mentioning too that Garmin is releasing another mobile app in February. Called MyMechanic, it uses their Ecoroute HD cable to send your vehicle diagnostics via bluetooth to your compatible android or iOS smartphone.
  • I went here:
    www8.garmin.com/ces/mobileapps.html
    to check on that, but no mention if it works with the iPad.
  • Boyd 1974 Points
    Looks like it will only be for Android devices...
    myMechanic: Auto aficionados can now know their car's specific performance metrics including horsepower, torque, G-force, and more. Available for download from the Android Marketplace beginning in February 2011, myMechanic's information is available when paired via Bluetooth with Garmin's ecoRoute™ HD module.
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    I understood an iOS version was also being made available next month. I certainly could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.
  • Mentioned earlier in this Topic: Future Updates for the EcoRouteHD.

Anyone know HOW to do that? I assume we use the Webupdater program from Garmin for our compatible GPS, and a secondary update will appear after the main (firmware) selection screen (similar to the FM traffic stations and voice updates).

I tried to Register my EcoRoute when I got it, but you can't do that automatically. Garmin Tech Support said I could register the device "if I wanted to" manually on one of their handheld device pages.
  • The update for the Ecoroute is provided by the GPS unit. When I first connected my Ecoroute to the 1490T the 1490T indicated it was sending a firmware update to the Ecoroute. So I am guessing that part of the firmware for the Ecoroute compatible devices also contains Ecoroute device firmware. When a newer version is detected by the GPS device or the Ecoroute the update is forced.
  • I think this method of updating the HD device is pretty much necessary since the ecoRoute HD device is installed more or less semi-permanently.
  • philhu 91 Points
    I find the reconnection rock solid unless my 1695 crashes/reboots.

The ecoRoute does not reconnect until I turn the car and gps off. The 1695 comes back on, just no reconnect to the ecoRoute HD
  • I think I have lost my connection once or twice on my 1690. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I had an ecoRoute HD device disconnect. I think I remember one instance when the 1690 burped (which rarely happens too). And then it fixed itself after I shut down and restarted the car.