This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

XXL 540 M vs. XXL 550 M ----- What's the Difference?

Catbird 0 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
I visited the Tom Tom website, but couldn't find the answer.

Maybe someone here can help.

FWIW, the price for both units listed on the TT website is the same ($189.95).

Comments

• Catbird 0 Points
    Thank you - that's just what I was looking for.

Unless I'm mistaken, it appears that the GPS reviewer prefers the 540 over the 550 because of some user customization features that are absent on the 550.

Right now, what I'm attempting to do is contrast the Garmin 1450 and the TomTom 540 M and see which unit would suit me better.

Another question:
    I read something which made me think that the TomTom's green overhead highway signs on the Lane Assist feature use generic wording rather than the actual words the traveler would see. Is that correct???
  • dhn 336 Points
    My experience with the Reality View on TomTom models /maps with it is that the sign normally does reflect what the true overhead sign shows .. but not always.

And yeah, I am in the camp of those that say that if you are thinking of a TomTom, do NOT get a model with the 'EasyMenu'....
  • Catbird 0 Points
    While experimenting with Navteq.com which Garmin uses, I was disappointed to see very few Junction Views in my areas of usual travel.

Without actually having a TT 540, is there a way for me to see Reality Views for the same area? I don't know what map source TT uses.
  • dhn 336 Points
    TomTom's use maps from TeleAtlas (which TT owns).

You may wish to visit a big box store in your area and try out a 540 on display.............
  • telemike 5 Points
    My experience is that I have seen a JV on my tomtom 90+% of the time on highway interchanges where I need to go. IF there is not an image there is lane guidance shown on the status bar as well.
  • mvl 191 Points
    TomTom's use maps from TeleAtlas (which TT owns).

You may wish to visit a big box store in your area and try out a 540 on display.............
    If you're looking for Junction view frequency, try to find a store demo with more recent maps. The 540 shipped last year, so demo models have old maps, and old maps have less lane guidance. I'd recommend looking at a 350 or 550 demo, as they are preloaded with the Feb 2010 maps.

Regardless of whether you end up buying a 540 or 550, you'll end up with a free upgrade to the latest June 2010 map.
  • Catbird 0 Points
    Well...

Just a little while ago, my search for the best (for me) GPS unit came to an end when I took a chance and ordered a new (not refurb.) TT 540TM from Amazon ($179.99 w/ free shipping).

To be honest, I am still a tad uncertain whether this was the very best choice or if I should have gone with the Garmin Nuvi 1450 which was my original choice.

Comments?
  • dhn 336 Points
    I do not know from Garmin units, only TomToms.

I have 4 different TomTom models available to me (don't ask... :) ) and one of them is the 540 model (I have the World Traveller edition, it includes Western_Europe maps and 4 gb storage, otherwise exactly the same as the 540 TM model).

The 540 is the one I use the most now. I like the 5" screen, the full menu structure and the EasyMount that it comes with.

It is that model I just used for 2 weeks in Europe....

Just make sure the first thing you do when you get it is to make an Explorer, not Home, backup of the unit's contents.

Also, you probably will not find a user guide for your model. However, here is a link to the UK XXL IQ manual, which is essentially the same model as the North American 540:

http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/xxl/refman/TomTom-ONEv5-XLv2-en-GB.pdf
  • Catbird 0 Points
    Thanks for your help.
  • Catbird 0 Points
    ...Just make sure the first thing you do when you get it is to make an Explorer, not Home, backup of the unit's contents...
    I'm not sure what you mean by "Explorer". Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any mention of Explorer on the TT website. Is that something I need to download?
  • dhn 336 Points
    Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer. It's Windows' File Manager.

On a Mac, you'd use Finder.
  • Catbird 0 Points
    Actually, that's what I thought, but hated to ASS-U-ME anything. Thanks.

I have yet another semi-related question -
    I own a couple of older model Garmin Nuvis. Someone here in the Nuvi Forum developed a nice voice text editor program that will allow the user to go into the GPS's voice file and change many of the spoken words and phrases just for entertainment purposes. For example, you can easily change "turn right" to "hang a right", etc., etc. I modified several phrases for fun, such as "Ready to navigate" is now "I'm ready to go. Buckle up and hold onto your cookies!". Is there anything like this for the Tom Tom that you are aware of?
  • dhn 336 Points
    No, Turboccc was not able to make it work for the Loquendo computer voices though I think he was able to get it to function for models with the Vocalizer computer voices.

And I don't know of any equivalent program.......
  • Catbird 0 Points
    Shucks! :(
  • Catbird 0 Points
    ...Just make sure the first thing you do when you get it is to make an Explorer, not Home, backup of the unit's contents...
    I meant to ask earlier - Can you please explain why I shouldn't use Home for my TT unit's backup or suggest a forum thread I should read?
  • cccsdad 0 Points
    The junction view on the Garmin is very limited. I live in Oklahoma and there are no junction views for either Tulsa, or OKC. However on my tomtom there are jct views for pretty much everywhere I go in Oklahoma.

I've owned both units and prefer the Tomtom for it's routing, jct view and the fact that it's traffic alert is much better than the garmins, also no annowing ads.