This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Full Screen

ggin1 0 Points
edited November -1 in Motorola MotoNav
Nice forum. 1st time poster.

I have found a way to view the TN555 in full screen (no left menu bar). First, tap the screen to get the destination prompt. Then, touch any menu item. Then, press the physical "map/menu" button on top of the device -- and voila, you are viewing the map full screen!

Alternately, you can hit "top button", "destination", "top button". This seems easier and quicker with just using your index finger and thumb.

I like this screen better because the blue arrow (car) is in the middle of the screen. The screen feels less crowded and is noticeably bigger (on the TN555). It makes the GPS look more open and in sync with the car.

Unfortunately, once you select an actual menu item, this mode goes away. But, it's nice for the long trips and when you're just roving.

I'm using the latest "60" firmware and the 2009 Q4 map.

Comments

• Welcome to the forum!

I have a 765, and all I have to do to make the menu go away is tap the vertical bar that separates the two screens. Does that not work on the 565?
  • ggin1 0 Points
    Hi ThunderLizard,

In the 555/565, when you tap the bar, the menu goes away, but the bar still remains, showing time remaining and direction of travel. That thin bar makes the blue arrow (car) move to the right of center and the actual map smaller. With my technique, the bar disappears altogether. The blue arrow is centered, and all you see besides the map is the blue header at the top and the translucent "eye", "microphone" and "+ and -" signs.

This might not be such a big deal in the 765, but it makes quite a difference in the 555/565.

By the way, I checked the specs on the physical dimensions of the 765 and it's actually shorter than the 555/565? If that's the case, I can see why someone had suggested that the "top bar" be able to disappear. Of course, that's losing some major information.

I've read quite a bit of this forum and enjoy it a lot. The more I use this Motonav, the more I like it. There are only two things which would make it near perfect -- showing the current street at the bottom and the current speed next to the speed limit. Of course, having actual street speed limits would be nice too.

There are a few other little quirks, but I can live with them:

-- has trouble finding satellites near crowded buildings
    -- occasionally "rotates" when on street corner (as if one were turning)
    -- sometimes pauses when finding an address (usually because I'm slow in entering the address), needs a longer buffer before seek
    -- phone contacts cannot be associated with actual addresses

Other than that, this is a really great GPS. The display is exquisite (that's why I want to see more of it). The other thing I love is the hands free feature. It really works well with my Motorola RAZR V3 (as expected). I also expected that text messages be automatically displayed (and read out loud) as advertised (or implied). But apparently, no one has been able to get that feature to work. Anyway, since I don't text much, it doesn't matter.

ggin1
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    @ggin1 - Thanks for the screen expansion tip. Initially I could not get it to work on the TN765t, but I just wasn't understanding your instructions. Trying again I can get it to work on the 765 using the sequence of - hit "top button", "tap Enter Destination", "hit top button". This method only works if the PND is in the cradle and 12v powered. As you mentioned on a 765 losing the left hand bar is not a big deal, but we all enjoy finding hidden "features". :D

Re: Text messages - I recently switched from a Razr v3 to a hand-me-down v9 and when it synced with the Moto a couple old short text messages came over and the Moto did read them aloud. (They were "wrong number" texts that I got) I don't text at all so don't know how it will behave if I were to receive a text in the real world.

Re: screen display rotating - that is pretty much normal "drift" on most gps units, but some brands are worse than others. Depends on a lot of factors including gps chipset used, and/or signal strength, which can constantly be changing as the satellites continue to move in orbit and you don't. I have never seen any reference with the Moto that WAAS is an option or if we even have that feature.
  • The tn555/565 and the tn765t all use the same chipset, which is the SIRF III. Here`s a little more info on that chip FYI........

• Spyder63 331 Points
    So we have WAAS - just have no control over when it is on or off. Having WAAS enabled consumes more power and quite often does not do much good in terms of position. Oh well.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    The chipset is capable of supporting WAAS... but that doesn't mean it is turned on. Many PNDs that use the SiRFstarIII don't enable WAAS to increase battery life.
  • Very good point.........I was wondering about that too, since the power consumption of the chipset is so very low........
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    The info posted above on SIRFStarIII seems to be a Wiki generic set of specs. But there are at least 4 different SIRFStarIII archetectures available and who knows which one the Moto uses? One of these is rated at Continuous Autonomous operation 46 mW and TricklePower 23 mW.

GSD3tw
    GSC3e/LPx
    GSC3LTf
    GSC3LTif

I'm going out on a limb and guessing that Moto has WAAS turned on evidenced by our 2 hr or less battery duration. And based on my theory that their Dev engineers think WAAS is the greatest thing since the invention of peanut butter. :roll:

Bottom line though to my way of thinking is who cares - we can't change it. :lol:

• Re: screen display rotating - that is pretty much normal "drift" on most gps units, but some brands are worse than others. Depends on a lot of factors including gps chipset used, and/or signal strength, which can constantly be changing as the satellites continue to move in orbit and you don't.
    Hey Spyder, I thought GPS satellites were in geostationary orbit? Always in the same place relative to the earth? If not, how could the GPS tell the difference between it moving or the satellites? Inquiring minds want to know!
  • Hi ThunderLizard,

In the 555/565, when you tap the bar, the menu goes away, but the bar still remains, showing time remaining and direction of travel. That thin bar makes the blue arrow (car) move to the right of center and the actual map smaller. With my technique, the bar disappears altogether. The blue arrow is centered, and all you see besides the map is the blue header at the top and the translucent "eye", "microphone" and "+ and -" signs.

This might not be such a big deal in the 765, but it makes quite a difference in the 555/565.

By the way, I checked the specs on the physical dimensions of the 765 and it's actually shorter than the 555/565? If that's the case, I can see why someone had suggested that the "top bar" be able to disappear. Of course, that's losing some major information.

I've read quite a bit of this forum and enjoy it a lot. The more I use this Motonav, the more I like it. There are only two things which would make it near perfect -- showing the current street at the bottom and the current speed next to the speed limit. Of course, having actual street speed limits would be nice too.

There are a few other little quirks, but I can live with them:

-- has trouble finding satellites near crowded buildings
    -- occasionally "rotates" when on street corner (as if one were turning)
    -- sometimes pauses when finding an address (usually because I'm slow in entering the address), needs a longer buffer before seek
    -- phone contacts cannot be associated with actual addresses

Other than that, this is a really great GPS. The display is exquisite (that's why I want to see more of it). The other thing I love is the hands free feature. It really works well with my Motorola RAZR V3 (as expected). I also expected that text messages be automatically displayed (and read out loud) as advertised (or implied). But apparently, no one has been able to get that feature to work. Anyway, since I don't text much, it doesn't matter.

ggin1
    Good find! The 765 doesn't always show the data, just the thin bar with the "expand" arrow (pretty small). Now I understand what you mean.

Oh...and beware the translucent eye... :shock:

• Re: screen display rotating - that is pretty much normal "drift" on most gps units, but some brands are worse than others. Depends on a lot of factors including gps chipset used, and/or signal strength, which can constantly be changing as the satellites continue to move in orbit and you don't.

Hey Spyder, I thought GPS satellites were in geostationary orbit? Always in the same place relative to the earth? If not, how could the GPS tell the difference between it moving or the satellites? Inquiring minds want to know!

My bad - just learned that only the WAAS and EGNOS sats are geostationary above the equator and provide "correction data".
  • ggin1 0 Points
    Makes sense. It would be nearly impossible for a non-equatorial satellite to be geo-synchronous since the earth rotates around the equator. I believe the satellites use triangulation to find where we are? That would mean that at least three satellites must be locked in. In order for it to give real-time information, the GPS must be a transceiver. I'm just guessing since I'm a newbie to the GPS technology.

ggin1
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Makes sense. It would be nearly impossible for a non-equatorial satellite to be geo-synchronous since the earth rotates around the equator. I believe the satellites use triangulation to find where we are? That would mean that at least three satellites must be locked in. In order for it to give real-time information, the GPS must be a transceiver. I'm just guessing since I'm a newbie to the GPS technology.

ggin1
    Three birds are needed for a basic lock, but minimum of four for full lock/data. There will always be a minimum of four visible anywhere in the world at any given moment. And the gps is not a transceiver, only a signal receiver. A gps does not transmit anything.

And yes, it uses triangulation.

If you haven't already looked for info here are a couple sites to learn more about gps than you probably wanted to know:

http://www.kowoma.de/en/gps/index.htm

http://gpsinformation.net/

http://www.gpspassion.com/hardware/explained.htm
  • Tim 1480 Points
    While the target audience for this video is kids, I've found it to be a pretty good intro to how GPS works at a simple level.