This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Looking at Navigon 2100

MPBsr25 0 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
After looking over some ads for BF, I'm pretty set on getting the Navigon 2100 with Real Traffic (free) for either $99 or $149.

Now, that I've been doing some research, not sure it's really the best for the price.

I'm looking for TTS, Real Traffic, Reality View (nice option). I also noticed that it only has 1.6 million POI's while others have up to 6 million.

Price is good, but I'm willing to go up to $300.

What's the sorry on this and should I even bother with it, or look for a better unit?

Comments

• I would strongly suggest you try to test one out in person before buying. I played around with the 7100 at an electronics store and I'm glad I did. My hands cramped up trying to get the unresponsive screen to react and my patience ran out with how slow it responded.

If you're ok with pre-programming your trip at home when you have time, then you're probably ok, but if you're on the road alot and have to change your plans on the fly, I would defintely pass.

Also, I didn't find the screen as bright as the Garmin's or Magellans.

Too bad as I really wanted the free traffic and Reality traffic features. Hopefully, Navigon will corect the bugs and complaints in future releases.
  • I would strongly suggest you try to test one out in person before buying. I played around with the 7100 at an electronics store and I'm glad I did. My hands cramped up trying to get the unresponsive screen to react and my patience ran out with how slow it responded.

If you're ok with pre-programming your trip at home when you have time, then you're probably ok, but if you're on the road alot and have to change your plans on the fly, I would defintely pass.

Also, I didn't find the screen as bright as the Garmin's or Magellans.

Too bad as I really wanted the free traffic and Reality traffic features. Hopefully, Navigon will corect the bugs and complaints in future releases.
    I'm hearing that Navigon is aware of some problems and should have a software upgrade in Jan 2008.

Thanks
  • Office Depot has it for $149
  • meant to hit url... nice to be able to edit posts!

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?id=597515
  • Picked up a Navigon 2100 tonight for $200 at Radio Shack.

It's on sale Friday-Sat for $149 with free lifetime traffic. Two Radio Shack managers (diff stores), said that if I bring it back Fri or Sat they will refund the diff ($50) and give me the free lifetime traffic.

Even though Staples will (might) have them Friday morning, the extra $50 that I'm paying is well worth the extra sleep and not fighting the crowds
  • i hear staples will have it for $100 on friday
  • i hear staples will have it for $100 on friday
    It's in their BL ads. Unfort, maybe like Radio Shack might not have supplies of them.

In the 2 Radio Shacks I went to on Tuesday there were a total of "1" in stock and the managers didn't expect any more coming in.
  • I bought my Navigon 2100 on BF at Staples for $99.99 just for the Free Lifetime Traffic (which I'm still trying to activate).

It IS a very sharp looking unit and the graphics are outstanding. The text to speech is amazingly good and I hope the traffic is as well.

But it can't hold a candle to the TomTom one LE when it comes to operating features except for traffic. So I figure it makes for a darned cheap traffic adapter for my TomTom LE :lol:

The screen interface is probably its biggest problem but its very limited number of POIs is also a concern. I still need to download and print the manual but I'll be interested in finding out if it can add POIs.
  • :? What the hay is all this lather about POI's? The Navigon 2100 comes with all the major gas stations, MickeeDees, Burger kings, larger grocers and resturants.

Now I use my 2100 for finding routes to client locations in the NY-Boston metro area- with the TMC alerts this unit performs admirably. I could care less how many hair and nail botiques, art museums, or other non-essential POI's thier could be" (gee with the internet I could look up the address and plug it into my favs on the GPS if need be).

MPBsr25 says "it only has 1.6 million POI's while others have up to 6 million." Well I suppose you could buy the Zygat option for $40 if you really need that clutter on your GPS screen.

Lets face reality - how many POI's are needed? The Navigon 2100 has some short comings - only 48 contigious US states, no map upgrades as of yet - but for a unit that sells for under $170 , its a real work horse unit.

I find the screen display plenty bright, and if you plan your route, this unit will take you to your destination and warn you, and/or re-route efficiently around traffic problems.

PS - I don't want to be driving around the driver that needs to be re routing thier destination while whizzing down the freeway at 75 mph. :lol:
  • :? What the hay is all this lather about POI's? The Navigon 2100 comes with all the major gas stations, MickeeDees, Burger kings, larger grocers and resturants.

Now I use my 2100 for finding routes to client locations in the NY-Boston metro area- with the TMC alerts this unit performs admirably. I could care less how many hair and nail botiques, art museums, or other non-essential POI's thier could be" (gee with the internet I could look up the address and plug it into my favs on the GPS if need be).

MPBsr25 says "it only has 1.6 million POI's while others have up to 6 million." Well I suppose you could buy the Zygat option for $40 if you really need that clutter on your GPS screen.

Lets face reality - how many POI's are needed? The Navigon 2100 has some short comings - only 48 contigious US states, no map upgrades as of yet - but for a unit that sells for under $170 , its a real work horse unit.

I find the screen display plenty bright, and if you plan your route, this unit will take you to your destination and warn you, and/or re-route efficiently around traffic problems.

PS - I don't want to be driving around the driver that needs to be re routing thier destination while whizzing down the freeway at 75 mph. :lol:
    You can get the Zagat for $20 off Buy.com if you use a google checkout.

I agree, it's a real workhorse for the price, but could use some tweaking.
  • The Navigon 2100 has some short comings - only 48 contigious US states, no map upgrades as of yet - but for a unit that sells for under $170 , its a real work horse unit.
    But are you planning to take it to Hawaii or Alaska?