Garmin Nuvi 1690 - nüLink Services Icon has a Red X

I have a Garmin 1690 that for some reason the nüLink Services Icon has a Red X next to it.

The Red X won't go away, and obviously I have no Nuvi connected services.

any ideas as to why?

This unit has been registered since Feb 19, 2010, and working, for the most part, since then.

I did venture into the 'secret' screen by pushing the battery icon for 6 or so seconds. On that screen, I see an UP and a DOWN 'button off to the right, along with a button that says "GSM Off"

I'm sure I tapped on that GSM Off once or twice, and I'm guessing that potentially caused my self inflicted pain... but, one would think I should be able to tap on that again, and turn GSM back on?.... so, I've tapped it, I've tap/held it, let it reboot after the tapping the "Exit" button, all resulting in the dreaded Red X next to my "nüLink Services" Icon.

Pushing and holding the nüLink Services Icon gives me a Network Diagnostics Window that says on the first line:

Driver: On, Wait on SIM

All other lines are empty. (there was info on all those lines before I inflicted this pain upon myself...)

Comments

• SergZak 222 Points
    Try hard resetting the unit:

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/14579/x/p1/#96421

If that does not correct the issue, the cellular GSM module may have gone out. On one of my test units, the GSM module simply died after one day of use. In this case, you'll have to contact Garmin support.
  • sjtsnix 0 Points
    Try hard resetting the unit:

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/14579/x/p1/#96421

If that does not correct the issue, the cellular GSM module may have gone out. On one of my test units, the GSM module simply died after one day of use. In this case, you'll have to contact Garmin support.
    Hard Reset --> Successful

Red X --> Still there :(

Guess I'll patiently wait for Garmin to contact me from my email, or give them a call in the morning.....

*SIGH*

thanks for your help
    Stephen
  • sjtsnix 0 Points
    I called Garmin this morning, and was told by Tech Support that nüLink Services are having issues throughout the US.... and that it should be fixed today...

Anyone else out there seeing a nüLink Services Outage? Or was I being told this to get me off the phone?

I was told that Garmin's nüLink services was not the issue, but it was AT&T that was causing the issue.

What are others seeing out there today? (August 4, 2010)

Stephen
  • No issues with nulink on the east coast.
  • sjtsnix 0 Points
    No issues with nulink on the east coast.
    I called again at lunch... and was told there are issues... and 'wait till tomorrow' basically....

I find that pathetic.... I used to work for AT&T Wireless Services... and, if a customer called in and said there cell phone was not getting a signal, I don't think a "Wait until tomorrow" for it to magically fix itself, would of been received well....

so, I'll call again in the AM.... and wait for the next excuse....
  • navxguy 0 Points
    no issue in midwest
  • sjtsnix 0 Points
    On the phone again this morning with Garmin...

What will today's answer be from Tech Support?

Good to know that 1690's are working well elsewhere... :)
  • t923347 214 Points
    Since this appears to be localized, maybe you could hold off letting us know everytime you make a call and just post when your nuLink service is working again :)
  • sjtsnix 0 Points
    Since this appears to be localized, maybe you could hold off letting us know everytime you make a call and just post when your nuLink service is working again :)
    so very sorry to offend you.

Simply Sharing my experience with their Tech Support.

This mornings call resulted in Garmin processing a RMA for exchange

The point of my posts was to outline the potential cluelessness of tech supports diagnostic of my issue.

If my post offends, I apologize once again.

Stephen
  • SergZak 222 Points
    This mornings call resulted in Garmin processing a RMA for exchange
    That was my initial diagnosis since I've been through the issue already...a bad SIM/GSM/cellular module.
  • His issue was confounded by TS reports of nulink system outages. Makes it tough to diagnose the issue in that environment.