This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Can Motonav TN765 do this

mikedbx 0 Points
edited November -1 in Motorola MotoNav
Hi.
I'm going to get a GPS soon. I am retired, the big 70 is on the horizon, and want to travel the back roads of Oklahoma, Arkansas and Missouri without typing in a destination. Will Motonav Tn 765 always show my position even though I've not programed in a destination. I like to explore and would like to see exactly where I am and find a quick way home if needed. If my current position is always shown I could then zoom for a broader view and locate near-by small towns to visit.

Do not need or want phone abilities nor am I interested in traffic updates. I live in a rural area where traffic isn't a problem. I'm not into conversing with machines that can talk back, so voice programing is not important.

Also want to use GPS for weekend yard sales in nearby towns where I'm not familiar with the streets. As I understand, I would be able to enter a dozen or so addresses and be routed to each in a logical manner. The easy to see slide out menu on the left seems to work for me on upcoming way-points as there will be many in a short time.

I've narrowed my selection of a GPS down to two. First choice is the Motonav Tn 765. If it will do what I've listed above I'm sure I will go with it. Second choice is Garmin Nuvi 1450. The Garmin would be less money but the Motonav screen layout and menu features are worth the difference to me.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, Mikedbx

Comments

• Spyder63 331 Points
    Hi.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, Mikedbx
    1. Will Motonav Tn 765 always show my position even though I've not programed in a destination?

Yes - any gps should have that capability.

2. I like to explore and would like to see exactly where I am and find a quick way home if needed.

If you have a Home address set up that becomes as easy as tapping one button on the Enter Destination screen. There is a dedicated Home button.

3. As I understand, I would be able to enter a dozen or so addresses and be routed to each in a logical manner (with the TN765).

Yes - You can rearrange the waypoints/addresses any way you like or tap the Optimize button and it will put them in order by distance, but sometimes you may not agree with what is presented. You need to keep in mind that the order is affected by the final destination chosen. You could have two addresses just a few blocks apart, and one is the final address but it will route you to other addresses before it sends you to the final address just a couple blocks away. A bit of pre-planning before entering the addresses may minimize this.
  • mikedbx 0 Points
    Thank you for the fast answer, Mikedbx
  • Another point to note - if your using the GPS to guide you as you explore (basically, as a moving reference map), I would think that display design could enhance (or take away) from your experience. What I'm referring to is the way the GPS manufacturer represents the area you're in on the display.
    That being said, and having had several types of GPS units (including Garmin), I believe the Motonav 765T gives a more realistic view of your surroundings, accurately displaying bodies of water, park areas, etc. I found this not to be the case with my Garmin. Though the Garmin may display these items, they appear choppy and geometric to me. Just my opinion.

Conversely, the best I've seen was my Navigon 8100T, that presented an image that was most life like...but unfortunately, they bit the dust in the US.

That being said, I cast my vote for the Motonav. Hope you enjoy your retirement! At 70, you most certainly deserve it! ;)
  • mikedbx 0 Points
    Thanx. , So much to learn and not enough time, Mikedbx
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    @Thunderlizard. Did you see this thread in the Navigon forum? Navigon back in the US...sort of
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Another point to note - if your using the GPS to guide you as you explore (basically, as a moving reference map), I would think that display design could enhance (or take away) from your experience. What I'm referring to is the way the GPS manufacturer represents the area you're in on the display.
    That being said, and having had several types of GPS units (including Garmin), I believe the Motonav 765T gives a more realistic view of your surroundings, accurately displaying bodies of water, park areas, etc. I found this not to be the case with my Garmin. Though the Garmin may display these items, they appear choppy and geometric to me. Just my opinion.

Conversely, the best I've seen was my Navigon 8100T, that presented an image that was most life like...but unfortunately, they bit the dust in the US.

That being said, I cast my vote for the Motonav. Hope you enjoy your retirement! At 70, you most certainly deserve it! ;)
    I still use my old Garmin IQue 3600 when flying. It can be set to do straight line navigation so does not lock to a road and it gives the name of every little lake, river, park, town, city etc., and I get a kick out of knowing exactly what I am seeing from 35,000 feet. Not to mention altitude, speed, ETA to destination, which is surprisingly pretty accurate since plane basically fly in a straight line. Quite helpful at night to ID locations below when you don't have a clue or when you are above the clouds. Have not had an opportunity to try the Moto, but I think I will be disappointed as I was with my Navigons and Tom Toms.
  • @Thunderlizard. Did you see this thread in the Navigon forum? Navigon back in the US...sort of
    I did see that. Not sure what to make of it. Still, I'm happy with my Moto, and anxiously await further development/updates to this slick li'l bugger!