This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

New 2200 and 2300 series set

Garmin is on a roll this morning, announcing a new model line of pnd's for the budget-minded, but throwing in some of those high-end features like dual-view landscape or portrait view, trafficTrends, myTrends, lifetime traffic and or maps and dual-continent navigation. The official press release follows:

"Garmin International Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd., the global leader in satellite navigation, today announced two new series of budget-friendly nüvi personal navigation devices. The nüvi 2200 and nüvi 2300 families feature multi-stop route planning, route previews and innovative nüRoute technology with trafficTrends™ and myTrends™ to make the daily commute or vacation travel easier than ever.

“Mixing business with pleasure, the feature-filled 2200 and 2300 products prove there’s a nüvi for every lifestyle and every budget,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin’s vice president of worldwide sales. “At work, at home and on vacation, we’re all trying to do more with less, and these nüvis can help you save time, save money and save gas every day, on every trip.”

For the busy parent or college student focused on multi-tasking and making the most of every minute and dollar, the nüvi 2200 series with a 3.5” touchscreen interface fits easily into a pocket or purse, features easy-to-use multi-stop routing to plan daily errands and activities, and includes Garmin’s ecoRoute fuel-efficient navigation to help drivers conserve fuel and money along the way (www.garmin.com/ecoroute). For those everyday trips, nüvi 2200 models automatically remember your frequent favorite destinations and use myTrends to predict your destination without you needing to activate a route, displaying your travel time and best route. For vacations, nüvi 2200 models’ enhanced pedestrian mode can provide public transit options through optional cityXplorer™ content. Available for many major cities and areas at www.garmin.com, cityXplorer helps you navigate like a local by foot or using a combination of buses, metro and suburban rail systems.

For the jet-set professional heading across town or across the world, nüvi 2300 models feature a widescreen 4.3” touchscreen display that lets users preview multiple routes. Cross-country travelers and commuters alike will appreciate the high-end features of the nüvi 2360LT without the high-end price tag. Wherever their appointments take them, nüvi 2360LT owners can go hands-free with Bluetooth wireless technology and compatible phones, or get efficient routing and realistic arrival times with trafficTrends, which recommends routes using historical data and recurring trends that Garmin has collected about traffic in your area at any given time of day. Many of the new nüvi models even feature free lifetime traffic alerts, denoted by the “LT” in the product name.

The dual orientation of nüvi 2360LT is ideal for use while driving or walking, as it lets users see their preloaded maps and intuitive menus in landscape or portrait modes. And the road ahead comes to life with nüvi 2360LT through 3D terrain and shaded topography that provides unrivaled context and situational awareness. When driving, travelers with nüvi 2360LT and other compatible nüvis can tap into ecoRoute HD, an easy-to-install device that transforms nüvi into a real-time diagnostic computer. This not only provides fuel and mileage reports, but you get more accurate fuel consumption/conservation data by tapping into the vehicle’s diagnostic system.

All of the newly announced models in the 2200 series and 2300 series feature millions of preloaded points of interest and turn-by-turn directions with spoken street names, and certain models feature a speed limit indicator that displays speed limits for most major roads and alerts drivers who are exceeding the limit. Preloaded mapping is also enhanced as North American coverage (2250, 2250LT, 2350, 2350LT and 2360LT) includes Mexico. Coverage of the lower 48 states (2200, 2300) now also includes Hawaii, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, Grand Bahama Island, Nassau and the Cayman Islands. The transatlantic model, nüvi 2370LT, includes detailed mapping for North America and Europe.

To compare features and find the best nüvi for your activities, budget and lifestyle, visit www.garmin.com/ontheroad and use the helpful sort and compare filters. For more about pricing and availability, as well as information about Garmin’s other products and services, go to www.garmin.com, www.garmin.blogs.com and www.garmin.com/pr."

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    Very cool, I was expecting something like this ahead. No doubt it will be the final coffin nail for the 7x5 series. And how much longer do you think the 2x5 will remain in their lineup, considering they have the low end covered with the 1100/1200/1300 already?

I wonder if these new models will have fast CPU's like the 3700's?
  • I think you're probably right Boyd. With new 5" models still to announce, and the 2200/2300 series now official, I'm looking for both the 2x5 and 7x5 devices to be discontinued after this Holiday season. Garmin's got a unique pnd design at the moment and they'd be smart to push it while it's hot.
  • papa 0 Points
    edited September 2010
    certain models feature a speed limit indicator that displays speed limits for most major roads and alerts drivers who are exceeding the limit.
    Which models?
  • I think you're probably right Boyd. With new 5" models still to announce, and the 2200/2300 series now official, I'm looking for both the 2x5 and 7x5 devices to be discontinued after this Holiday season. Garmin's got a unique pnd design at the moment and they'd be smart to push it while it's hot.
    That would be very short-sighted since they have nothing that resembles the 7x5 lineup in the wings. I don't see a Nuvi that has the same feature list as the 765, for instance. The most glaring lack is the missing media player that works in conjunction with the TTS. To me this would be a deal-breaker. As far as I am concerned you can toss out the jpeg viewer, but not the MP3 player!

I realize that I may be part of a dying breed in this regard...
  • There's a couple more model announcements to come. Your MP3 feature may still exist in one of them. No feature list that I've seen yet, so no guarantees.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Papa: just about all current Nuvi models display the speed limit, which turns red when you exceed it. I think the Nuvi 1300 is one of the few that lack this feature.

Product pages are now available for the 2200 series. Here is Garmin's comparison grid.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=134&compareProduct=70212&compareProduct=70214&compareProduct=70221
  • papa 0 Points
    Papa: just about all current Nuvi models display the speed limit, which turns red when you exceed it. I think the Nuvi 1300 is one of the few that lack this feature.
    I'm referring to the models that "alerts drivers who are exceeding the limit".
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    :?: The speed limit indicator turns red when you exceed the limit. That is your "alert".
  • papa 0 Points
    Somehow I thought it was an audible alert.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    See this: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/16444/x/p1/

Unless it could be disabled, that would be a very bad idea. Try driving on the major highways in the Northeast US (among other places). You would endanger your life if you tried to stay within the speed limit instead of moving with the traffic flow.
  • I had a TomTom with an audible alert. You can't adjust the fudge factor, so any little bit over the speed limit triggered an alarm. Worse than that, several of the limits were incorrect. Stretches of I-4 near me are 75, while TomTom thought they were 65. With miles and miles of constant alerts, I decided fairly soon to disable speed warnings.
  • papa 0 Points
    Unless it could be disabled, that would be a very bad idea. Try driving on the major highways in the Northeast US (among other places). You would endanger your life if you tried to stay within the speed limit instead of moving with the traffic flow.
    I saw the link. However, I'm referring to an audible alert when you are exceeding the speed limit by, say...10-20 mph. I'm not talking about going just over the limit. I've found the audible alert quite useful driving on major highways. An option to disable it would be a plus, though.
  • Here's a concise model summary of the 22xx, 23xx series:

The model numbers being announced, along with map coverage:
    • 2200, 2300 – Lower 48 states
    • 2250, 2250LT, 2350, 2350LT and 2360LT – US, Canada and Mexico
    • 2370LT – North America and Europe

The 2360LT will feature Bluetooth, a dual orientation screen, and 3D terrain.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited September 2010
    The 2300 series is now on Garmin's site as well. There are actually some other differences between the models. Garmin's compare function won't let me choose them all, but here are examples of each of the basic feature sets

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=134&compareProduct=70239&compareProduct=69452&compareProduct=70242&compareProduct=70255

To summarize these confusing options, from the bottom up showing which features are added to each model:

2300: basic model with 272x480 TFT landscape view screen, lower 48 maps, and myTrends

2350: ADDS full NA maps, trafficTrends, lane assist and junction view

2360: ADDS dual orientation screen, voice activation, 3d buildings/terrain and bluetooth

2370: ADDS Europe maps but does NOT feature the dual orientation screen.

There are versions that include traffic receivers for everything but the 2300. You have to get the traffic receiver with the 2360 and 2370. All models have a lifetime maps version.

While these mimic the features of the 3700 series very closely, there is one major difference: the screen. They use TFT screens at 272x480, just like all the other widescreen Nuvi's unlike the 3700 with a glass capacitive screen at 800x480. It's great that they are providing landscape/portrait compatability, but I'm not sure there are enough pixels at 272x480 to show all the street names that the 3700 does with its small fonts.

I guess we will have to wait until 4th quarter (when Garmin says they will be available) to find out. Garmin has hardly posted any screenshots - this is the only one I could find and it shows 3d mode which looks pretty much like any Nuvi.

The other big question, of course, is processor speed. Will it use the same CPU and graphics chips as the 3700 or is it actually based on the 1200/1300/1400 platform? I hope it's like the 3700 or the 3d features will really lag.
  • More feature comparisons here, bottom of the page:

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-4-3-Inch-Widescreen-Bluetooth-Navigator/dp/B00407236S/ref=pd_luc_sbs_01_02_t_lht2

Also a few more screen shots. :)
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Aha - there is one thing that I didn't notice before. Only the 2360 has the dual orientation screen mode. What I find really curious is that the 2370 doesn't have this feature according to either Amazon or Garmin's. I wonder if that's just a typo? Why would they omit that one feature on what otherwise appears to be a top of the line model?
  • t923347 432 Points
    Must be a typo as the rest of the screen description indicates they have the same screen.

Interesting that they aren't going to offer Lifetime Map Updates for the 2370. Must figure it's to expensive for them.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Also interesting that they pulled the lifetime map options from the 3700 series. They were there for a few days and Sergey even posted links to them in the Lifetime Maps thread. Then those links died and the models disappeared from Garmin's site. Perhaps they thought that if you could afford the top of the line model, you could also afford to pay full fare for map updates?

Regarding the dual mode screen, I think the LCD panel itself will be the same on all of the 2300 series. But the 2360 will have the accelerometer to sense position and firmware that handles the different orientations.

I guess we will have to wait and see. It's hard to understand Garmin's logic at times. Maybe they did leave this feature off the 2370 to keep the price a little lower by leaving out the accelerometer?
  • papa 0 Points

There are versions that include traffic receivers for everything but the 2300. You have to get the traffic receiver with the 2360 and 2370.
    As far as I can tell, the 2360LMT includes the traffic receiver.
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=87150&ra=true#inTheBoxTab
  • SergZak 340 Points
    One thing I find very prominent on these new units is the size of the Garmin logo...quite large and very visible. Maybe Garmin are making up for the 37xx series where the logo is virtually invisible, placed indiscriminately on the narrow edge band. :lol:
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    As far as I can tell, the 2360LMT includes the traffic receiver.
    Yes that is correct. I'm sorry, my language was ambiguous, let me put it a different way: you cannot buy a version of the 2360 or 2370 without the traffic receiver. So you are forced to get it, even if you don't want it.

This was an annoyance for me when I got the 3790t. I find the FM traffic feature all but useless and don't like the awkward, heavy power cord. I would have liked a 3790 - without the "t". But that doesn't exist. So if you want the other features of the 3790 or 2360, you are forced to buy the receiver. These other features include 3d terrain and buildings on the 3790. But on the 2360 they also include the ability to rotate the screen.
  • Hm, I hate that low resolution. But lifetime traffic/maps is a good deal. Can't take that slow chip either though. Glad there is much more info here than in the "other forum." :arrow: :arrow: :mrgreen:
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Just noticed an odd "set speed limit" option screen on the 22xx's. Anyone get hold of one of these yet and able to explain what it's for?
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I wonder if that lets you change the speed threshold where it warns you? That's a feature several people here have wished for.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    That's what I'm wondering. That's the most likely function IMO.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Not quite, it alllows you to change the speed limit icon if the speed stated is wrong ... :D
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    For reporting to Garmin/Navteq? More community sourcing then. That might backfire with users setting limits 5-10 higher to avoid the overspeed warnings.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Yeah, not sure whether it gets reported back tho ... and even if it does whether Garmin take any notice :D
  • It looks like the 2300s are pushed back into 2011. Garmin site lists them as Q1, and Amazon estimates February.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Hmm, Gator's source must have been wrong. He thought they would be shipping before now. :) I think I read that the 2200 series has been available in the EU for awhile and the 2300 is starting to show up.
  • The 2300 series supposed to be ready in the third quart of 2010, then in the fourth quart of 2010 and now in the first quart of 2011.

Reading newsgroups, the 13xx and 14xx had some problems.

I read in the financial papers that Garmin did not reach their goals in the automotive sector.

Maybe that's why the 2300 are not in the stores.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    22xx and 23xx series available here in UK, and have been for a month or so ...
  • Are the 23xx any good?

I had 2x1490 and 1x1390 in early 2010. I made all the necessary system updates at the Garmin site, + the free map upgrade, but they all retained some problems; freezing, losing the destinations program, unable to recalculate, rebooting, showing only the Garmin logo, simply not working. All three went back for refunds.

At Costco, the 1490lmt are at reduced price.
    Anyone used regulary the 1490 for at least six months without problems? I might give a fourth chance to Garmin for the 1490lmt.

Or:

Is it worth to wait for the 2360? They seems to have more features than the 1490lmt.

Thanks
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    When a new model is first available, it usually sells for list price with no discounts. The 2360 lists for $260 with the traffic receiver, or $300 if you include the lifetime maps subscription. So it's going to cost a lot more than the discount prices we've seen recently on the 1490.

Is it any good? Probably a personal judgement call, but I haven't seen any reviews of this new model yet. Virtually every new model that Garmin introduces will have some issues that take awhile to be resolved with firmware updates. If you were frustrated with bugs on the 1390 and 1490, then I suspect you won't be happy with a new, untried model. It's a little like being a Garmin beta tester. :)
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    . . . except for paying for the privilege. :roll:
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    There's a saying that goes.... "Pioneers usually end up with arrows in their backs." :lol:
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    FWIW, the 23xx's are finally shipping today. Even tho delayed a couple months, $219 for the 2360 is a fair price IMO
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    That is pretty good. It's unusual to see a nuvi being discounted when it first starts shipping. But Amazon says there are only 3 left in stock.

Hmm... looking closer. Those 2360's are not being sold by Amazon themselves, but a company called H and B digital that I've never heard of. Caveat Emptor! :shock:

I think the whole thing might be a little sketchy. Amazon themselves has the 2360LMT for $300, but it says one to two months before it will ship. Even bigger Caveat Emptor now for H and B Digital. That's too much of a price difference....

Oops, sorry, not thinking straight yet today, in the middle of a big snowstorm here. That was the 2460LMT and not 2360. Optics Planet lists the 2360LMT on Amazon for $308 with 3 to 5 week delivery. Amazon themselves list the 2350LMT For $210, in stock. No listing at all for the 2360 from Amazon themselves.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    GPSCity is another seller showing most of the model variations in stock and ready to ship.
  • sviking 141 Points
    I'm still waiting for the 3790T to hit rock bottom pricing. Yes, my Precious...it will happen... :lol:
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    SViking, I saw 3790 refurb's for around $300 the other day. After March I think you may see prices on the new ones come down. :)
  • sviking 141 Points
    SViking, I saw 3790 refurb's for around $300 the other day. After March I think you may see prices on the new ones come down. :)
    Yup... Garmin already got me twice on "must have" new GPS units and I paid dearly for them. Never again. There won't be a third strike! 8)
  • DanB333 80 Points
    Last week, Amazon canceled my order from October for a Nuvi 2360LMT. They said they could not get them.
    Ordered Nuvi3760LMT from Sam's Club Online. Arriving Friday.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Amazon themselves have some of the 23xx models in stock, but not the 2360 apparently. Other retailers at Amazon and elsewhere do have them, which is unusual I guess.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    And a firmware update already rolled out for the 23xx's. :shock:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=5143

Changes made from version 2.30 to 2.40:
    Increased map drawing speed.
    Fixed an issue with incorrect address search results when ß is entered.
    Added Track Up map display option for Pedestrian Navigation.