This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

6000T user report from Garmin old Hand (firmware 1.16)

anthony 0 Points
edited November -1 in Magellan Vehicle Forum
Magellan Roadmate 6000T has a great feature set. I have previously extensively used the Garmin 2620 and 2720 and my first use was the Magellan Hertz never lost.

There is a l lot to like in the Roadmate 6000T. The feature set is very full. For those comparing it, it is something analogous to a Garmin's C550, Streetpilot 2820 (with the addition of a traffic receiver) or Nuvi 360 (with the addition of a traffic receiver) FM traffic only no XM like the 28xx.

Most of you reading along are already aware its a full featured modern AIO (ALL IN ONE GPS) preloaded with Maps of USA and Canada. It Offers Blue tooth connectivity to your phone and built in FM traffic receiver with the first 3 months free and Offers an SD slot for loading MP3s Pics or your POI and the Much vaunted GPS receiver the Sirf III chip set that Garmin only puts in the C5x and Nuvi's but not their flagship streetpilots. For those not aware Sirf III generally locks faster and picks up Sats under more conditions then other receivers that might more often require an external antenna e.g. Heavy tree cover, canyons, tall buildings etc.

There are some aspects of the GUI that I have found that are even superior to Garmin's. I particularly like the split screen Turn info and ½ Screen map. The screen is bright and clear comparable to the much vaunted Streetpilots. Directions are good. Sometimes better , sometimes not then Garmin's. The 6000t works quite well. It offers the Salesperson multi-point routing and optimization feature that is only present on the Garmin 26xx,27xx,28xx, and 72xx Streetpilots. I never cared for this feature on my Streetpilots, finding it occasionally schizoid. But if I were a salesperson, trucker or road warrior I would definitely use it.

The Magellan traffic receiver automatically locates and keeps tuned into FM traffic stations. I can not comment on whether this is true of Garmin's implementation though I was under the impression it might be a manual process.

The Blue tooth connectivity works well (not 100 percent of the time but no blue tooth connectivity is, sometimes a device has to be reset). I am picky I have a Jabra BT800 head set and hate having anything in my ear and just tolerate having that model on my ear. The down side to the 6000t bluetooth is background “hiss” like a tape player of old without dolby noise reduction. I find this quite acceptable but not desirable, of course it only happens while on a call.

Volume... The BT6000 could have greater volume for both directions and phone conversations, but on most roads is quite adequate and even plenty loud on others and competes reasonably well direction volume wise with the Car Stereo not set to ear splitting levels.

Design choices...
On the positive side the 6000T had buttons for every possible function to the point where you have the option of not even using the touch screen, though I like to mix and match. This is an expensive feature and actually puts the Streetpilots to shame not counting the Streetpilots remote control. Downsides, I can not tell you whether it is Windows CE 5 or the 4GB Micro drive or both, that made the 6000 occasionally poky. I never found it to be a problem while getting directions but there is an intermittent palpable delay compared to the older Garmin's. To be fair I have not tried the C550, 360 etc. that have all those extra features and running them all simultaneously.

And this brings me to the heart break/deal breaker, at least for me. I would love to keep this GPS, but I can not conscious a hard drive based GPS. I was able to replace my CF based hard drive in my 2620 with flash ram when it died. Garmin briefly switched their 20s to internal non cf micro hard drives before dropping them in favor of flash ram. Garmin has a small advantage in that their maps and POI only take up around 1.5GB, last I checked (I think they have increased the compression with their NT maps) Magellan maps and POI are closer to 3GB. That said 2 and 4GB and even 8GB flash based music players do not cost that much and I think most customers would gladly pay an extra $50 bucks or so. The 6000 is a great value @ around $500 (It sells for $475 to $599).

Is a hard drive a death knell in a mobile device? No, every laptop, desktop and even music players that have large capacity use them and a drive could last years, even a decade. But it is just a greater unnecessary risk that Magellan should have avoided. One can not avoid, if one needs 20 to 200gb but a 3 to 4GB device, it can be avoided.

O Desk top tools, for those interested. Well there in the box. Basically a POI editor and POI loader, MP3, and Picture loader. For Mac people there is no native software. Same as Garmin (though Garmin promises it someday). GPSbabel works with the Garmin's, not the Roadmates on both pcs and macs. On the Plus side if your not an Intel Mac owner running native windows for the gps, at least Magellan's tools work under virtual PC7. ****Then again because the Nuvi and I believe the C5x series are mountable as a USB mass storage device you can create your own connectivity with out Garmin.

Well thats it...

Comments