This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Map update useless

I downloaded the latest update and it is still not showing some of the roads around my area that have been built in the last few years. Sometimes when I type in an address on a street that has existed for decades it just brings up the street and zip code instead of the exact house number. I can't see any difference after getting the update.

Comments

• Map updates seem to be one of the great mysteries of the universe. Old streets never seem to make it in and it is not unheard of for streets that were on old maps to disappear with new maps. Boggles the mind sometimes.

Boyd is our map expert on here so if he chimes in he will have more definitive answers for you.
  • The map updates are what is provided by Navtec to Garmin. Seems I read that Garmin is about 6 months behind in their maps, so our latest update (2011.20) was released by Navtec at the first of 2010.
    Also, you can report any map errors to Navtec (not sure of the website).

As for addresses, it uses the information from the post office for block and addresses, and many times these are estimates.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I really have no input on City Navigator map updates. Aside from the single free update available on a new unit, I don't bother with them. As someone who used paper maps for most of his life, I just don't have an expectation of every road being on the map.

Actually I find it kind of amusing to read the apparent outrage that some owners experience when a road is missing from the map. This seems to be especially keen if their road isn't on the map. :)
  • Boyd said
    This seems to be especially keen if their road isn't on the map.
    I can understand that but I really don't need the GPS to get home :lol:
  • t923347 432 Points
    I think that was Boyd's point :lol:

It's also bewildering to see these posts over and over again about missing streets yet no mention of reporting them to Navteq or Garmin. Not reporting errors and omissions means your relying on Navteq actually driving down your street at some point or the neighbor next store sending the information in.

To report errors or omissions in the map data you can send the details to:

http://mapreporter.navteq.com/

and/or

https://my.garmin.com/mapErrors/report.faces
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I think the logic goes something like this.... "if my own street isn't on the map, then just imagine how many others must be missing!" :shock:

But getting back to the OP's point... this sort of confirms my own philosophy that map updates aren't worth the cost. Each person needs to decide this for themself. If having the latest and greatest map is worth ~$100 to you, then go for it. Many of us buy a whole new GPS every two or three years and get a new map as part of the bargain.

More likely than not, you won't notice much if anything that has changed incrementally between updates. I will say however, that when I got my free update for the 3790, a new junction view appeared on a route that I regularly drive. In fact, the addition of new lane guidance and junctions might be one of the main advantages to purchasing the lifetime maps.
  • Continuing on that train of thought regarding new junction view appearing, with Garmin the POI info/data is also embedded in the map updates sets, correct? For those that do not get involved with importing custom POI sets that might also be a consideration for updating. Personally I don't update very often either as I do change/buy one or two new PNDs every year or so.
  • alanb 539 Points
    The map not having your own street can be a real annoyance, since your home location is frequently your starting point when you enter a destination. It often snaps your location to a nearby street behind your house rather than the street your street connects to. And that generates some completely incorrect routing. About all you can do is start driving and eventually you will be on a mapped street allowing the nuvi to recalculate a correct route. I have had instances where it seems to want to stick with the originally calculated route (with the helpful "Please drive to highlighted route) even though you are driving on mapped streets. Then it is a real PITA.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I set my home location to my doorstep, and my driveway is a .2 mile long unpaved road that will never (and should never) be mapped. I don't really experience the kinds of problems you describe. But I guess it might be different if you were a few miles down an unmapped road.
  • Continuing on that train of thought regarding new junction view appearing, with Garmin the POI info/data is also embedded in the map updates sets, correct? For those that do not get involved with importing custom POI sets that might also be a consideration for updating. Personally I don't update very often either as I do change/buy one or two new PNDs every year or so.
    What compelled me to update my maps is more of getting the updated embedded POI, updated business names, new restaurants, shopping malls etc. I rely on Garmin on POI as I have never delve into 3rd party POI yet... would appreciate any advice on that.
  • alanb 539 Points
    Custom POI's tend to be theme based by file ... like Rest Areas, Walmarts, Pet Friendly Lodging, etc. My advice for a good place to start your research on custom POI's is POI Factory.
  • Thanks alanb. Would third party POI download be idot proof for people like me? How many ways can I screw up that may render my Nuvi inoperable? Hence, back to the current subject about Garmin Maps downloads - my current reliance on Garmin Map updates for the main purpose to obtain the lastest embedded POI :-)
  • It is not too difficult to load custom POIs from the POI Factory site. You can install them to the SD card and keep your gps clean, if desired. Getting the basic list is not difficult. Getting custom icons adds a little more work, as does adding mp3 or .wav files to get proximity alerts. A good site to learn just about everything you want to know about POIs and Garmin PNDs in general is Gary Hayman's site: Tricks, Tips, Work Arounds, Hints, Secrets and Ideas for the Garmin nüvi GPS (and others)
  • DerekW 132 Points
    Reporting map errors to Navteq.

Just do it for all the errors and omissions in your own area that you are familiar with. You are not doing it for your benefit, but for the strangers visiting your area. You have to hope that other people are helping to clean up the maps in areas that you might visit some time in the future. However be prepared for the "brush off" from Navteq when they reject your request for a mini roundabout (traffic circle) to be shown on the map or some such other feature that is causing an annoyance.

Re commercial POIs are these paid for by the establishments or are they picked up by Navteq as they travel round the world?

If they are paid for by the establishment - how do they know who to contact to get marked as a POI?
  • That's a good question on POI references... There's quite a few "BUSINESSES" in my residential neighborhood that are listed!

I'm wondering if they're getting business records out of the Tax Offices or some-such, because people who work out of their houses might not like being listed as a POI... :)
  • I tried to report a map error once. It took them 2 years to fix it... When I think about reporting other issues, I just remember that I'll have to wait for two years and don't even bother reporting. I just can't plan that far ahead.

Lincoln tunnel in Manhattan is driven by 100 thousand vehicles a day. And still , Garmin can not properly guide you into the tunnel. This just shows how brutally inefficient map updates are.

Error reporting operates like a black hole. You drop your request and never hear from them again. If they wanted, they could issue a ticket, provide ETA and let users track the state of the requests.
    Alternatively, allow community edits as The Competitor have been doing for several years now.

It's not the data quality that is frustrating, it's the lack of any evidence that they are working to make things work. Although, to be fair, POI reporting in new units looks like a first microscopic step in the right direction.
  • This thread illustrates why the lifetime map update service is so important.

It seems to take a lifetime for the maps to be updated.

:roll:
  • t923347 432 Points
    I tried to report a map error once. It took them 2 years to fix it... When I think about reporting other issues, I just remember that I'll have to wait for two years and don't even bother reporting. I just can't plan that far ahead.

Lincoln tunnel in Manhattan is driven by 100 thousand vehicles a day. And still , Garmin can not properly guide you into the tunnel. This just shows how brutally inefficient map updates are.

Error reporting operates like a black hole. You drop your request and never hear from them again. If they wanted, they could issue a ticket, provide ETA and let users track the state of the requests.
    Alternatively, allow community edits as The Competitor have been doing for several years now.

It's not the data quality that is frustrating, it's the lack of any evidence that they are working to make things work. Although, to be fair, POI reporting in new units looks like a first microscopic step in the right direction.

All you need to do is to go to Navteq.com and sign in on the Map Reporter page. Once signed in you will be able to see all of the corrections, omissions, etc. that you have submitted and the status of those submissions by clicking on the My Map Reports tab (upper right of screen).
  • oh, then I'm taking it back. Guess, I was doing it through Garmin and not through Navteq. My bad.
  • It is not too difficult to load custom POIs from the POI Factory site. You can install them to the SD card and keep your gps clean, if desired. Getting the basic list is not difficult. Getting custom icons adds a little more work, as does adding mp3 or .wav files to get proximity alerts. A good site to learn just about everything you want to know about POIs and Garmin PNDs in general is Gary Hayman's site: Tricks, Tips, Work Arounds, Hints, Secrets and Ideas for the Garmin nüvi GPS (and others)
    Thanks Spyder63. Good stuff. BTW, does the "63" in your name stands for your age flipside ie you are 36 years old? just curious
  • Glad you found the info useful. As for "63" - no, not my age (used to be). I own a couple Chevy Corvairs and one is a custom 1963 Spyder (185HP Turbo).