1490T Garmin Display "Loader Loading" and will not
  • If your device is displaying the message Loader Loading during power up, the file that is used to update your device may have become corrupted.
    To fix this problem, please connect your device to your computer. Once connected, your device will show up in "My Computer" as a drive. Then follow the steps listed below to remove the update file from your device:
    1. With the nuvi powered off, press and hold the upper left hand corner of the touchscreen with your finger
    2. Continue to hold the touchscreen while pressing and releasing the power button on the device. The Garmin Logo should display.
    3. Continue to hold the touchscreen while connecting the device to your computer
    4. After 30 seconds the screen should flash white. At this point release the touchscreen. A green progress bar should display on the device. After the progress bar completes (45-60 seconds) the device should go into Mass Storage mode with the picture of a computer tower on the display of the device.
    5. From your computer click the Start Menu
    6. Open 'My Computer'
    7. Right click the Garmin nuvi drive that appears in My Computer
    8. Left click 'Explore'
    9. Input ".system" (without quotations) into the Address bar and press enter.
    10. Locate the file "GUPDATE.GCD", Left click to highlight it, and then delete it
    11. Safely remove your device from your computer using the Safely Remove Hardware program in your computer's system tray.

Allow your device to boot up normally. The device at this point should work normally.

Please run the Webupdater program again to update the device's software.
  • t923347
    If you first connect the Nuvi to your PC before you go through the 11 steps listed, why couldn't you just delete the GUPDATE file during that original connection to the PC?
  • The 1490 is locked in a loop and will not handshake with the PC.
  • t923347
    OK, maybe I'm missing the point but what does "To fix this problem, please connect your device to your computer. Once connected, your device will show up in "My Computer" as a drive. Then follow the steps listed below to remove the update file from your device: " accomplish?

Couldn't someone with this problem just start by going through the 11 steps detailed in your post? I guess what I'm attempting to establish is why you need to connect the GPS to the computer and then unplug it to follow the steps outlined.
  • rayt435
    To fix this problem, please connect your device to your computer.
    3. Continue to hold the touchscreen while connecting the device to your computer.
    I am also confused. You say to connect the device to your computer, then you state from a powered off mode to power up and continue holding the screen while connecting to the computer. If you are already connected to the computer how can you connect again?
  • These instructions came direct from GARMIN TECH SUPPORT and do work. Read them carefully and follow them exlicitely they say.

The procedure worked on my 1490T after everything else failed.
  • Follow the steps in order

1. With the nuvi powered off, press and hold the upper left hand corner of the touchscreen with your finger
    2. Continue to hold the touchscreen while pressing and releasing the power button on the device. The Garmin Logo should display.
    3. Continue to hold the touchscreen while connecting the device to your computer
    4. After 30 seconds the screen should flash white. At this point release the touchscreen. A green progress bar should display on the device. After the progress bar completes (45-60 seconds) the device should go into Mass Storage mode with the picture of a computer tower on the display of the device.
    5. From your computer click the Start Menu
    6. Open 'My Computer'
    7. Right click the Garmin nuvi drive that appears in My Computer
    8. Left click 'Explore'
    9. Input ".system" (without quotations) into the Address bar and press enter.
    10. Locate the file "GUPDATE.GCD", Left click to highlight it, and then delete it
    11. Safely remove your device from your computer using the Safely Remove Hardware program in your computer's system tray.
    Allow your device to boot up normally. The device at this point should work normally. Please run the Webupdater program again to update the device's software.
    Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you for contacting Garmin.
  • I do steps 1 through 4 but when I release the touch screen after the "flash" it just goes back into the reboot loop. Nothing is available on the computer which is connected. I think this is because the Nuvi 1490t doesn't go into mass storage mode. I have several TomToms and older Garmins. None had any problems like this. Frankly, this is absurd! A new Garmin updates itself, breaks itself in the process, AND there is no apparent fix... Is there anything else to try before taking this GPS back to its rightful owners and moving on? I liked the unit before it self-destructed but now have wasted so much time trying to recover it.
  • I've had this "bricked" Garmin for >1 yr now. I was about to toss it when I saw your article. I made it through the first 3 steps and then I saw the screen flash white in step #4 (That was a first!). The progress bar at the bottom starts with just a SLIVER of green. That's where my Garmin freezes up.

It still does not make it available to WebUpdater or as a mass storage device (but during the first 3 steps, I do hear my windows recognizing it "plug in" sound, then losing it "unplug" sound).

Any further suggestions?
  • zaman
    Hi all. I am new to this forum. I am having the same problem. After the update fail i cannot connect my Garmin 1695 to the pc. Is this problem solved yet?
  • Boyd
    Read the thread at the link Popej posted above. It discusses a program that can be used to recover your GPS. It may not be easy though. If that is too much for you, then you could try calling (not e-mailing) Garmin support. Explain that their software has bricked your Nuvi.

They may not be very helpful at fist, but be polite yet insistent. You can ask for a supervisor if needed. Others have gotten their GPS replaced at no charge this way, even though it was out of warranty. We have recent thread here where this happened in fact.

May not work for you, but it's worth a try at least.😃
↑ Top

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!