This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Does the suction mount eventually "die"?

andy957 0 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
Have had the suction mount on my windshield for almost 2 years, with no problems. Never fallen off, moved, bounced, etc. until a week or so ago. Now it will attach to the windshield, feels snug and secure and tight, but if I leave the car overnight, when I open the car in the morning the mount is sitting on my driver's seat or on the floor. It also happens while driving (dangerous).

So do these things have a "lifespan"? Should I get a new one or is there a way to fix this issue?

Thanks.

Comments

• dhn 336 Points
    Andy, it hasn't been that cold in Toronto overnight (geez...what area do you live in that you WOULD leave the unit in the car? :roll: ) but perhaps just cold enough (there was frost a couple of nights, wasn't there?) to make the plastic a bit brittle. And cause it to lose its adhesion.

I would imagine that, over time, all mounts will lose some of the pliability (is there such a word?)
  • Andy, it hasn't been that cold in Toronto overnight (geez...what area do you live in that you WOULD leave the unit in the car? :roll: ) but perhaps just cold enough (there was frost a couple of nights, wasn't there?) to make the plastic a bit brittle. And cause it to lose its adhesion.

I would imagine that, over time, all mounts will lose some of the pliability (is there such a word?)
    Silly person, dhn. :)

No, I didn't leave the unit in the car but I did leave the mount on the windshield for the past 2 years, at least, without it ever budging. Now all of a sudden it won't stay on the windshield for more than 10-15 minutes, even if the 720 is not attached.
  • I would imagine that, over time, all mounts will lose some of the pliability (is there such a word?)
    So is yours still functioning? I think you got your 720 about the same time I did (mid 2007).
  • dhn 336 Points
    This link is for the US site:
    http://www.tomtom.com/en_us/products/accessories/mounts-holders-docks/easyport-mount-kit-for-go/

but it shows an easyport mount which will work on the 720 or 730 (I think that's your model, as I remember). This mount is much superior to the one that came originally with the 7x models.

I rarely use the 720 anymore, Andy..... it does work the rare time I use it, though.
  • I rarely use the 720 anymore, Andy..... it does work the rare time I use it, though.
    What are you using? It's been ages since I've been in the forums here so I'm out of the loop.
  • dhn 336 Points
    My unit of choice these days is a 540 Word Traveller Edition, Andy.
  • mvl 191 Points
    Try using soap and water and clean off the windshield where it will stick. And clean off the suction.

It might help, or the suction may just be too old.
  • Try using soap and water and clean off the windshield where it will stick. And clean off the suction.

Thanks. I'll give that a shot. In the meantime I'm going to see if I can find the one that dhn talks about above, it looks unimposing... trick will be to find it in Canada.
  • This link is for the US site:
    http://www.tomtom.com/en_us/products/accessories/mounts-holders-docks/easyport-mount-kit-for-go/

but it shows an easyport mount which will work on the 720 or 730 (I think that's your model, as I remember). This mount is much superior to the one that came originally with the 7x models.
    Unfortunately, as seems to always be the case, it's unavailable in Canada, dhn. I wento mountguys.com and ordered a "RAM" mount, but it's enormous (got it yesterday) and bulky, I'm afraid it'll cover up too much of my windshield.

Does anyone have any experience with the dash "beanbag" kind of mounts, like this one: http://www.mountguys.com/product_p/tt520-112.htm
  • dhn 336 Points
    The description doesn't match the title or the item in your link, Andy. That said, I've used beanbags before and they've stayed put on the dash, if that's what you are concerned about. In fact, the mount in the picture looks more solid than the one that comes with the 7x models.

What is not 100% clear to me is whether both the beanbag & the mount are included in the price.
  • What is not 100% clear to me is whether both the beanbag & the mount are included in the price.
    They are. I asked.
  • The description doesn't match the title or the item in your link, Andy.
    Does for me.
  • andy957 0 Points
    edited November 2010
    I took some Windex made for auto glass and scrubbed the interior of the windshield as well as the suction cup itself, reattached the mount and VOILA! it's still there after 36 hours....without and with the 720 being mounted. I'll keep tabs on it, but it seems very secure. So for anyone else experiencing this issue, I'd recommend trying this as a first resort.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I didn't see this thread until now, but note we have a thread on How to make GPS Suction Cup Mounts Stick with some good info and good info in many of the replies as well.
  • I didn't see this thread until now, but note we have a thread on How to make GPS Suction Cup Mounts Stick with some good info and good info in many of the replies as well.
    OK I suppose you can remove this thread then.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    No, no need to remove this thread, just passing along additional tips and info.
  • Try using soap and water and clean off the windshield where it will stick. And clean off the suction.

Thanks for your suggestion, mvl. I used Windex Auto Glass cleaner and it did the trick!
  • There is also a nice vent mount available on ebay designed specifically for most of the TT models.
  • Ian16th 181 Points
    I bought the 'Easyport Mount Kit' http://www.tomtom.com/en_za/products/accessories/mounts-holders-docks/easyport-mount-kit-for-go/ it is unnecessarily expensive as a cigarette lighter adapter is packaged with it.

But it has a redeeming factor, it works!

Vastly superior to the standard gooseneck mount that is shipped with unit.