This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Nulink 1690/1695 questions

1. Do either of these models (1690 or 1695) have Enhanced Pedestrian Mode capability?
2. I assume that the screen does not rotate, right?
3. Is their map detail display (cross street names, etc) less detailed, like some of the older models, or more detailed like the 3700 series? I am not asking about screen resolution, but rather about displayed data detail.
4. I need a GPS for both US and Europe, and I know the nulinks US-model won't work in Europe...but it would still have the same POI funcionality of other models, assuming I had loaded the Europe maps, right?
Thanks!

Comments

• Regarding the 1690:

1. Only basic pedestrian mode is included as a standard feature, but optional CityExplorer maps are supported.

2. Screen does not rotate.

3. Map detail is reduced.

4. Nu-Link would not work in Europe, but POIs should work with the proper maps.

Thanks!
  • Glenn,

Thanks for your feedback.
    Regarding my question about Enhanced Pedestrian Mode, I'm wondering if when using City Explorer maps if this unit (either the 1690 or the 1695) has the ability to route via public transit (especially buses/bus stops), or if the unit is only capable of simple walking mode.

Are you pretty sure of the reduced map detail, as compared to early models such as the 255W or the later 3700 series? If so, do cross street names reappear when not in 3D driving mode or other display modes?

Do you often get 'server not available' delays in using the google local info?
    I ask these questions out of ignorance since I'm not yet a GPS owner...

thanks again,
    --Richard
  • I'm wondering if when using City Explorer maps if this unit (either the 1690 or the 1695) has the ability to route via public transit (especially buses/bus stops), or if the unit is only capable of simple walking mode
    I do not have the City Explorer maps, but Garmin claims the enhanced pedestrian mode works with "1200, 1300, 1400 and newer" models, so the 1690/1695 should support it.
    Are you pretty sure of the reduced map detail, as compared to early models such as the 255W or the later 3700 series? If so, do cross street names reappear when not in 3D driving mode or other display modes?
    The level of detail on the 1690 is comparable to the 765, and is significantly lower that what my older 660 shows. Not all cross street names are displayed.
    Do you often get 'server not available' delays in using the google local info?
    Not often in the Los Angeles/Orange County area of southern California, but it does happen in areas where cell phone service is weak.

If you want my opinion, avoid the 1690 like the plague; I seriouly regret my purchase. The firmware is unstable, and I think the processor they used is under-powered for routing in complex map environments. I like the connected services, but not if the primary function (navigating) is compromised. I've returned mine twice, but all three units exhibited the same poor performance.
  • snip

If you want my opinion, avoid the 1690 like the plague; I seriouly regret my purchase. The firmware is unstable, and I think the processor they used is under-powered for routing in complex map environments. I like the connected services, but not if the primary function (navigating) is compromised. I've returned mine twice, but all three units exhibited the same poor performance.
    OTOH, I've found the 1690 to be very reliable and stable in my application running f/w 3.70. I don't like the BT functionality, but then again, I have little experience with BT.

I don't know what defines a complex map environment, but I have yet to find a scenario that overtasks my 1690.

I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

As usual, YMMV.
  • Thanks Speedlever, for your input too.
    I am of course thinking about buying the 1695, which ~might~ be a bit different in terms of firmware, etc...might even be buggy since it's newer.

Regarding the reduced map detail on the 1690, is that just while you're in 3D driving mode...would you see more detailed labeled cross streets in another mode?

Do you regard the reduced detail as a disadvantage, or is it really info you feel you don't need while driving?

Thanks to you both.
    I'm going to decide between the more basic 255W (no enhanced pedestrian mode, but more detail), the 1695 (less cross-street detail, but has google POIs), and the 3700 series (expensive, new, cool, and perhaps buggy) in the next couple of days...hopefully.

--Richard
  • From what I've read, the reduced detail is a feature of the nuvi line in general.

To be honest, I've not played much with 2D so I can't really say what difference there is in detail.

It was quite a change for me coming from the detail on a SP2610. OTOH, the enhanced capabilities of the 1690 was a nice trade. I've adjusted to it.

If you can play with it in a store display, you'll have a better idea if it will satisfy you.

I can post up a couple of pics showing 2d and 3d, but they are not of the same area, so it may be of limited use to you.

2d

3d:
  • SergZak 340 Points
    edited November 2010
    At least you guys with the 169x models still get map-embedded POIs to display on the map. Those of us with the 37xx series don't get map-embedded POIs displayed on the map screen at all...not even in map panning/browse mode. :shock: Maybe another Garmin feature(?)...

At least we get the favorite labels displayed along with it's icon on the moving-map screen (much more useful to myself). Lose a feature, gain a feature.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    If it's of any use I've just got a 1490T and having tried 3D I now always use 2D as there is significantly more detail on the 2D map :D
  • yes that is helpful. thanks!
  • If it's of any use I've just got a 1490T and having tried 3D I now always use 2D as there is significantly more detail on the 2D map :D
    I don't think I've tried nav'ing in 2d yet. I'll give that a try today.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    I've used 2D almost exclusively on every pnd and nav app. Navigon for Android, Garmin 760 and 1695, my TomTom's. 3D may look nice, but 2D gives me more information and detail on the surroundings. And yes, the 1695 has more map detail in 2D rather than 3D. But not as much as my old 760. Not bad tho, certainly usable.
  • Gatorguy,

So, does "more detail in 2D" mean that most cross street names show?

I would think that would be handy, so'z to anticipate when a turn is coming...to confirm what the pnd is telling me.

thanks,
    --Richard
  • SergZak 340 Points
    I've used 2D almost exclusively on every pnd and nav app
    Same here...until the 3790. It's scaled 3D actually gives more info in front of you (where you're going) than the 2D mode does. Streets scale smaller way in the distance but are still readable. I never thought I'd ditch 2D track up but the 3790 has changed my point of view (pun intended).

All other units I own still remain in 2D track up mode.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Gravyharp, it depends a lot on zoom level. At typical city speeds I've seen reasonably good street name display in very limited testing so far. Probably the same as the other 1xxx models. Not as bad as I expected it to be.

The touch screen response has been excellent by the way. No lag whatsoever.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I've used 2D almost exclusively on every pnd and nav app

Same here...until the 3790.
    That is so true. The ability to use portrait screen orientation works perfectly with this also. In 3d mode you see a lot of detail within your immediate vicinity, but you also see the road ahead for a couple miles. So, at a zoom setting of .2 miles, for example, in 3d mode the foreground (bottom) of the screen is like viewing the map at maybe 500 foot zoom. But off in the distance (top of the screen) it's like viewing the map at .8 miles zoom. It's like "track up view on steriods" :)

Gator, on the 1300 series all the small roads drop completely off the screen when you zoom out to .5 miles.I believe the 1400 series is the same. But in general, not very much text of any kind appears on the screen. Very few road labels until you zoom in to 800 feet or closer. Even at this zoom level, the older models had more things with labels.

The older Nuvi's (205, 700, 800 and 805 series) will show the small roads until you zoom out to 1.2 miles - two clicks farther.

On the 3700 series, the little roads also disappear when you reach .5 mile zoom, but there are many more labels - both streets and cities. Here's a 3690 screenshot. I would guess the effective zoom level is either .2 or .3 miles. I don't think any of those streets would be labeled on a 1xx0 Nuvi.

Speedlever's screenshots were taken at 200ft zoom - one click away from the max. 3d view maxes out at 120 ft and the plus button is greyed out. 2d mode will let you zoom in to 120ft. You can see this happening in the 3790 screenshots below.

• gatorguy 326 Points
    Your detail observations are spot on Boyd. :)

• I don't know what defines a complex map environment, but I have yet to find a scenario that overtasks my 1690.

Good to hear that some of the 1690s work properly. I've gone throgh three units and all of them had the same problem. Route calculation from one end of Los Angeles County to the other end (about 80 miles as the crow flies) takes about 10-15 minutes to complete if the Nuvi is displaying a moving map. If I start the route calculation, then navigate to the main screen (a static display), the route calculation completes in about 20 seconds. Although the work-around is not too difficult, it should not be necessary given that I've had five other Garmins that could calculate a route while displaying a moving map. All three 1690s had 2011 maps and my current unit has the latest firmware (v3.70); hard resets made no difference.

The first 1690 I had was a refurb, and Garmin replaced it with another refurb. Naturally, I suspected they were not properly repaired. However, the 3rd one Garmin sent me was new in box, but had the exact same problem. The frustrating thing is that Garmin's only answer was to RMA one faulty unit after another until I gave up. They've issued two firmware "upgrades" to fix numerous other flaws since I reported the problem. Given the number of refurbed 1690s on the market, I suspect others have had major issues with the model.
  • I've seen the same thing reported on the 1695 and the 37xx series too:
    www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?whichpage=9&TOPIC_ID=136329&#970189

FWIW, I don't tap back to the main menu. I just let it do its calc and mine seems to zip along just fine. I believe the issues for the 1695 and 37xx series may have to do with the traffic trends feature which seems to be slowing the route calc down.

If you have some coordinates or addresses, I can plug them into my 1690 and see what calc times I get. Shortest or fastest route?
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I've seen the same thing reported on the 1695 and the 37xx series too
    That is not "the same thing". The 1695 and 3700 have nuRoute which includes trafficTrends and myTrends. It can be turned on and off with the menu's. If I turn it off on my 3790, route calculation is actually very fast. When you turn it on, calculation becomes very slow. But this is clearly due to the fact that a lot more data must be processed. And the calculation times are NOTHING like 10 to 15 minutes! For a 150 mile route using nuRoute, it's more like two minutes perhaps on my 3790. And it also has nothing to do with whether the moving map is being displayed.

But none of this is related to Glenn's issue; the 1690 doesn't have nuRoute.
  • By same thing, I meant go back to the main screen to speed up calcs. Or at least, that's what gatorguy reported in the thread linked above. That seemed to be the common factor regardless if the unit had nuRoute or not.

I'd be curious to plug in Glenn's AB points and see if my 1690 takes that long to calculate the route.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I suppose there could be a relation, but on the 3700 (and presumably the 1695), you can just turn off nuRoute. On the 3790 the makes the calculations very fast. nuRoute is always off on the 1690, because it doesn't exist. :)
  • Yep. I understand that. I was only drawing the distinction on returning to the main screen while the calc was underway... regardless of the nuvi. I was not trying to infer that the 1690 has nuRoute.

No worries.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Not to worry - Garmin just posted a fix to the slow trafficTrends route calculation on their support site a few days ago:
    Question:
    Why Is My Device Calculating Routes Slowly After Installing or Activating TrafficTrends?

Answer:
    When the device uses TrafficTrends information to calculate routes you may find that the overall time of the calculation is slightly longer than normal. The reason for this is because the device has to use more information to create the route initially with historical data. If you want to disable this feature you can do so by doing the following:

1. Touch Tools.
    2. Touch Settings.
    3. Touch My Maps.
    4. Touch the Box next to TrafficTrends to untick the box then hold the back arrow to return to the home screen.

With the box not ticked the device will calculate routes in a faster time not using the TrafficTrends data

Last modified on: 11/02/2010
    :lol:
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    edited November 2010
    Just a couple screenshots from today, showing detail at various zoom levels

At default view (not manually zoomed) for that area/speed, 800 ft., while driving:

And three different zoom level views of another area.
    First at .5 mile:

at .3:

and at 500ft:

Coming from the nuvi760 with it's much better detail settings, I think the number of street names showing on the 1695 will still be OK for my needs. You might also notice that favorites are named on the map, unlike the rest of the 1xxx series.

EDIT: Meant to mention that I do NOT like the manual map scrolling so far. I hope it's an acquired taste.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Just for fun.... here's what it looks like on the 3790. I have scaled these down from the native 800x480 to match the 1695 (which makes them 480x288 as compared to 480x272 on the 1695).

Map detail and street names are pretty comparable - perhaps there are a couple more names visible on the 3790? Landcover is different - notice the green shading in my screenshots. I would say that this comes from the DEM (digital elevation model) data on the 3790. This is stored in the file gmapdem.img, which I assume you don't have on the 1695. The basemaps on all current Nuvi's contain DEM data, but the 3790 has higher resolution data - the file is 1.2GB.

You've got one thing that I don't... zoom scale display in driving mode. That is missing on the 3700 series for some reason. The touchscreen issues you mention sound like the same ones I had on the 1350.

• gatorguy 326 Points
    Thanks Boyd. that's exactly the type of comparisons that help members see the differences between models. I know it probably took some time to match the areas to my screen shots, but it's great to be able to compare apples to apples. :D

BTW, I had changed my map theme from the default, so you may not be able to tell just from my map colors. I'll check whether the 1695 has the same DEM shading as your 3790. Probably not.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Thank for the shots, gator & Boyd. It's good to see map detail coming back to certain units as well as finally once again displaying the favorite name along with the icon (evidenced by gator's "Gator Sign").
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Boyd, the same view, but new theme that more closely matches yours.

• Boyd 1985 Points
    as well as finally once again displaying the favorite name along with the icon (evidenced by gator's "Gator Sign").
    Do your favorites also show the label in the driving screen as well as map browse?

Interesting to see that the 1695 also supports map themes. I was just using the default "Garmin" theme on the 3790.

Regarding map detail, if you look at the driving screen in Gator's 1695 screenshot, I count 4 street names or portions thereof. Looking my example of the same, I count 9 names and partial names. I don't know how significant this is. I think that really driving is different from simulation. When actually driving, all of my Nuvi's show less street names the faster I drive...
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Boyd, how do I find the DEM file? I have hidden files enabled, but for the life of me can't find the map and associated files. See how out of touch I became?
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    :lol: We'll get you up to speed Gator. You need to set two options to see the map files. In addition to hidden files, you also need to DISABLE hiding protected operating system files. You will then see the hidden .system folder with the maps.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Ah thanks!

BTW, yes favorites show in driving mode.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    We have been discussing route calculation times on another site, but it might also be of interest here. Using a simulated route between Boston and Los Angeles on my 3790, the calculation took 44 seconds with trafficTrends enabled vs. 29 seconds with trafficTrends disabled.

You guys are correct that calculation is faster when you hit the back button and display the menu instead of map. Using this trick I got 37 seconds with trafficTrends and 22 seconds without trafficTrends.

Gator's calculation times were longer on the 1695, supporting the notion that the 3700 series hardware is faster, but I will let him post his own results.

This exercise taught me something else. My 3790 couldn't seem to find Los Angeles with Where To > Cities. It found lots of other Los Angeli in Mexico, etc, but not the one in California. I finally gave up and chose it through browsing the map. :evil:
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    And which file am I looking for? No DEM file that I can see.

And I think Los Angeles CA is there. It took me a bit to find it too among the dozens of Los Angeles listings. It's near the end of the list. Another thing noted tho. Tapping it brought up the one above it. I actually had to tap three up to get the California one. That's the only instance of that I've come across so far.

EDIT: But I do find a Roadside Assistance folder. The options there (so far) are all European tho.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Another big like for me personally. Being able to save and categorize favorites. Probably there on the other 1xxx's, but I hadn't owned one in that series prior to now. Searching and saving favorites is fast and straightforward. I now have favorite categories for Businesses, Friends, and Coordinates (off-road locations). Really a big convenience and a nice improvement from my old 760.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    That feature's been around for awhile. Personally I don't like it so much on my 3790, because there's an extra level of menu's to go through everytime you search (Where To > Favorites > Category). :x
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Guess it's a personal preference. I have quite a few favourites and without the ability to categorise them on the 1490 I'd have too many to scroll through to get to the one I want. I'm happy to be able to go through one more menu level as it makes finding them so much easier. Just a shame that there's not something like predictive text to make finding them even easier still.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I have 412 favorites. Scrolling through the list is a pain since they are sorted by distance, so I prefer to search by entering a few letters in the name. On the 3790 that requires you to tap Where To > Favorites > Category > Triple-bars > Spell.

This is sort of a generic problem with the Nuvi, all the menus seem to be nested too deep. This could be easily modified to allow you to press Where To > Favorites > Spell, saving two levels of menu to navigate.

Regarding predictive spelling, my 3790 does that, doesn't your 1490? But I think it only "predicts" based on past searches. So, I can type "Ga" and my favorite "Garage" appears as a button on the text entry screen. But that only happens because I searched for it before.

Another annoying "feature" is auto-complete when it only finds one entry containing the letters that you typed. If you make a typo that matches a couple unique letters in your favorites, it takes you immediately to that favorite. There is no "undo" button for this, you would have to press Back > Category > Triple-bars > Spell and start all over again.

While I really like my 3790, there is no mistaking that the software comes from Garmin and not Apple...
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Boyd, figured it had been around since the 1xxx's were introduced. Told you I'd gotten behind. But I'll work harder to catch up :lol:

BTW. did you notice "Scouts" as one of the data fields? Took me a bit of searching to figure out what that was. Haven't seen one yet, but I haven't been out driving all that much either. I wouldn't expect to see one unless I was on one of the major roads anyway.

"A scout is classed as another individual using a nuvi 1695 who is near you. Scout information gives you an indication of how many other users are ahead of you on the particular segment of road that you are travelling on and how far away the closest one is.

This is useful when using the Real Time Safety Camera feature as when you get alerted of a speed camera you will be able to validate how accurate it is by the amount of scouts that have passed it.
    For example if there are 50 scouts ahead of you, and you get alerted of a mobile camera, it will be fairly likely that there is an actual mobile camera there. However if there was just 1 scout then it may be less likely a camera is there because there are less people reporting it.

To have the scouting information displayed on the device on the navigation screen you will need to touch the data field in the bottom left corner. You can then select data to display you would to select the scout information option and touch Save."
  • That's interesting. Sounds like a takeoff on the ciao service on the 1690. Is that also offered on other nuvis/nulinks?
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    AFAIK, only the 1695, which is also the only nuLink device.
  • 1695 is nulink in name, but as you know, 1690 is also nulink connected. I'm liking what I hear about the 1695.

That Scout function could be very interesting. Is it enabled by default? Ciao is optional and I have left it off to this point.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    There's a couple of other service differences I think. Both Safety Cameras and POI Ratings are listed for the 1695 but not for the 1690. Can you confirm that neither is available to your 1690?
  • Yes, you are correct. Safety camera alerts and advanced weather are not available for the 1690, darn it!

www8.garmin.com/automotive/nuLink_services/

But with all the safety camera POI files, I figure the former is no loss. However I like the advanced weather capability... wish that was available for the 1690. But I'm not sure I want to pay the price... whatever that is.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    On the 1490 if you try to spell out a favourite it only allows you to enter one or two letters and then takes you to EVERY favourite containing those letters so not what I would call predictive text, guess the 3790 is better :D
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    The 1695 does the same as the 37xx. If you've previously searched for a name/city/etc, it "predicts" your entry with a pop up word after a letter or two. You can tap to accept it or continue typing.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Great thing about this forum is all you great experts out there. I learn things that simply aren't in the manual. Having had more of a 'play' with the Favourites in my 1490 after reading Boyd's comments it's far more flexible than I thought, cheers guys :D
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    I had some time late today to pay closer attention to traffic coverage. Comparing to Navteq's stated coverage for this area, it's all of that and a whole lot more. Looking at incidents on my 1695 this evening, there's a wide range of local roads reporting. It looks as tho every major secondary road is included, roads I never saw covered by my TomTom 740. And this is by no means a major metro, approx 30,000 residents in my little city. While I can't comment yet on how accurate the reports are, I can say I'm impressed by the overall range of highways and roads included. This is not your standard Navteq coverage from what I'm seeing.
  • Good news.

The final nail in the coffin for my 740.
    I had some time late today to pay closer attention to traffic coverage. Comparing to Navteq's stated coverage for this area, it's all of that and a whole lot more. Looking at incidents on my 1695 this evening, there's a wide range of local roads reporting. It looks as tho every major secondary road is included, roads I never saw covered by my TomTom 740. And this is by no means a major metro, approx 30,000 residents in my little city. While I can't comment yet on how accurate the reports are, I can say I'm impressed by the overall range of highways and roads included. This is not your standard Navteq coverage from what I'm seeing.
  • Gator have you seen instances where the 1695 is routing you around traffic even on the secondary roads?

My 740 always takes me home the same way on a road they have no traffic coverage on and there are times where that decision is the wrong choice but it can't know that.