Problem with map: You cannot use this map on this device

edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
I got this error on my new XXL540TM after updating to the latest software and maps right out of the box. First hint: try your unit first, second: make a back up thru windows explorer.
This is the fix as told by TomTom support and it worked for me. I think my problem was the security software on my computer, but regardless I still followed all the steps and had a flawless install. Lesson learned.

Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Customer Support. My name is Amanda and we are always happy to help.

I understand that you are receiving an error "Problem with map: You cannot use this map on this device" after using the lifetime map activation code. We understand the frustration this might have caused.

I am here to assist you and will certainly try my best to resolve the issue.
This issue might occur if the certificate file for the map is corrupt or if the map folder itself is corrupt.

1. Please disable the antivirus and firewall software, as it might block/interrupt the download. If you are unsure about the disabling the antivirus / firewall then you can contact the antivirus/firewall vendor for better assistance, since they have the necessary expertise.

2. Also, make sure you are using a wired internet connection and not a wireless connection. Your computer must be directly connected to the modem and not through the router or any other networking devices. It is recommended that the you use a Broadband or DSL/cable/LAN Internet connection for downloading updates, maps or services.

Also, make sure you turn off the screensaver on the computer as it may go into "Sleep" mode. This may disconnect your internet connection and also reset the USB connections to your computer which will interrupt the download/update process.

3. We then suggest you to clear the 'Download' folder from the computer. Please perform following steps listed below:

For Windows:

a. Click 'Start', go to 'My Documents'
b. In 'My Documents' there is going to be a TomTom folder, opened this
c. There should now be a Home folder, open this
d. There will now be a 'Download' folder. Rename this folder to 'Download_OLD'

4. Remove the old map from the device. To do so, here are the steps.

a. Connect the device to the computer
b. Open 'My Computer'
c. Open the TomTom Drive
d. Look for a folder that is labeled as "USA, Canada and Mexico".
e. Cut this folder and paste it on the desktop.

5. You can then use the Update my device feature to download the latest map. The following link will help you with the steps:

http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10541/kw/application and map version

Please reply and let us know the status of the issue. We want you to know that, we will be there for you and we do value you as a customer.

To update your TomTom question (incident) or to reply to this email:
Please log in to your TomTom account using the following link:
http://www.tomtom.com/myTomTom/login.php
-Now Click on 'Support'
-Select 'My Questions History'
-Click on the title of your question then click on 'Update Question'

Thank you for choosing TomTom for your navigation needs. If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. EST Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom, we believe in showing you the way, the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Amanda

Comments

• Glad it worked out for you.

Bottom line was your original download was corrupt.