This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Want GPS that learns route while I drive it

mgauss 182 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
While my wife drives it learns the route that I can follow later.

Comments

• sussamb 787 Points
    And you want to do this because ... ?
  • mgauss 182 Points
    SHe really gets PMS when my GPS wants to go around the world. She makes up routes like she is HAL from 2001. I want a GPS that sees the way we travel. Learns her routes. That way she will stop yelling "LEFT! RIGHT! RIGHT! WILL YOU EVER LEARN??" She sounds like the mother in Dr. Evil's movie. :shock:
  • Boyd 1960 Points
    Such a thing doesn't really exist... yet. Garmin is sort of moving in this direction with "myTrends" which is supposed to learn your driving habits. I got very inconsistent results with it myself and have turned it off.

In theory, this is how it works. You create "favorites" for the places that you go the most often. The Nuvi then calculates whatever route it wants to get you there. Now when you actually drive, you go however you like. After awhile it is supposed to "catch on" and modify its own route to match your preference. It is even supposed to fine tune this based on the week day and time.

I saw a couple examples of this, but it wasn't completely repeatable. Another feature is that when you leave the house and head towards (for example) the restaurant you go to every Thursday, it will figure out where you're headed and ask if you'd like to go there.

Then (to continue Garmin's fantasy :lol: ), the traffic receiver notices there's an accident along the way and modifies the route to get you around it.

This all sounds great, and offers a lot of potential, but IMO it's still a work in progress. But you could try for yourself - any Nuvi model that supports "myTrends" has this feature. The entry level is the 2200 series with the 2300 series adding more features and a bigger screen. Neither of these has hit the shelves yet, but are coming soon. The only currently available models with myTrends are the 3700 series and the 1695.
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    Boyd, Amazon is showing the 22xx nuvi's as shipping now. 2300 series is probably a month away.
  • mgauss 182 Points
    This mode is like passive aggressive. I don't want the device to start learning my preferred route "over a few weeks." I need it recorded the first time. That is the training time. The "over a few weeks" is exasperating. How does one know it is doing anything?
  • Boyd 1960 Points
    The simple answer is: I don't think it really works. Or at least, not yet.

Beyond that, there just isn't any product I'm aware of that does what you want. Maybe a wife upgrade would be a more practical option. :lol: (just kidding of course!)
  • mgauss 182 Points
    Downgrade to no wife. Sounds nice and quiet.
  • So if she knows where she is going, why does she need a GPS?

You can always get a unit that allows you to download trips and it will follow those directions.
  • mgauss 182 Points
    news.motionx.com/category/motionx-gps-drive/
  • Tim 1472 Points
    I have that app-- but have never seen that feature in it. Where is it?
  • mgauss 182 Points
    http://gps.motionx.com/iphone/overview/

101 TRACKS!
    Save up to 101 tracks.
    See your track in real-time with Track Up or North Up, then follow it later if you want to retrace your path.
    Post your tracks to Facebook or Twitter, or email them to share using Google Maps and Google Earth.
  • Tim 1472 Points
    That simply a tracklog recorder... it doesn't do what you asked for, specifically it won't give you turn by turn (driving) directions while retracing a tracklog. It is more of a "breadcrums" feature for outdoor activities like hiking.
  • Boyd 1960 Points
    All of the Nuvi's already show your track. Not the same as the gps "learning" your route, because you have to watch the screen and follow the trail. It doesn't tell you where to turn or anything.
  • mgauss 182 Points
    Today my wife took me on the most amazing route. We went where no taxi has ever gone. No way a GPS would have figured out that route. Best time in traffic would have been 35 minutes, this was 4 minutes. I need a GPS with learn a route!!
  • mgauss 182 Points
    Still waiting! Need GPS that learns a route!
  • Boyd 1960 Points
    edited December 2018
    LOL, let us know if you've found one when you visit us again in 2026. :)
  • alanb 530 Points
    Well, at least Boyd is optimistic that this forum will still be here in 2026! ;)
  • Boyd 1960 Points
    edited December 2018
    Even more optimistic to assume that I will still be here in 2026. :))
  • Boyd said:

Even more optimistic to assume that I will still be here in 2026. :))

Ditto
  • mgauss 182 Points
    Spoke with a Garmin rep and he said no such thing.
  • mgauss 182 Points
    I still have a Dash GPS. From 12 years ago about. I kind of remember it had a learn feature.
  • Boyd 1960 Points
    Don't see any mention of that feature here. http://www.gpsreview.net/dash-express/
  • Tim 1472 Points
    The Dash would "learn" your routes, along with everyone else's. So it wouldn't work in the scenario described above unless you were the only user in the area... which was a great possibility at the time and would still be so today if there service was still live.