The 'Mark Viewed' options have been temporarily disabled due to a performance issue.

Do any GPS units offer video-output?

sofakng 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
Are there any GPS units that have video output so I can see the GPS display on my in-dash DVD player?

I'm aware of the Garmin G53 "Black Box" unit but does anything else exist? Are there any portable units that simply have a video output?

Comments

• gatorguy 191 Points
    I can't think of any Personal Navigation Devices (PND's) that have video out. The one possibility might be the Cydle models, but I don't know much at all about them. You might try reposting your question in that forum section.
  • I thought I remembered this discussion somewhere............

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/18106/x/p1/;highlight=video
  • Boyd 1302 Points
    You could run Garmin mobilePC on a netbook with an optional display. That's about the only other option I can think of...
  • HTC Athena PDA based mobile phone (its a brick of a phone but great for mobile internet) this has a composite video output or standard computer monitor style output with an accessory lead. Have a look on E-bay as these can be purchased at little cost, the Athena probably has a larger display than most automotive products though.

Then you need some Nav software to run from its internal 8 or 16GB of memory - Mike
  • HTC Athena PDA based mobile phone (its a brick of a phone but great for mobile internet) this has a composite video output or standard computer monitor style output with an accessory lead. Have a look on E-bay as these can be purchased at little cost, the Athena probably has a larger display than most automotive products though.

Then you need some Nav software to run from its internal 8 or 16GB of memory - Mike
    I forgot, I have video out on my Nokia phone with GPS as well. I don't have the cables, monitor and such to test at the moment but maybe someone else with video out on their phone can chime in.
  • Boyd 1302 Points
    True - never thought of that option. The iPhone can also use a video output cable, so you could use that with the Navigon or TomTom app.

However, there's a bit of a problem with all these. It's only going to send the video, so it will be "you can look but don't touch". You would still have to use the touchscreen on the device itself.

The difference with a device like the Garmin "black box" is that it uses a remote control for input and not a touchscreen.
  • I hear ya Boyd. I surmised from the original post that they just wanted a plain PND with a video out which to me means they wanted to view a larger screen but would use the PND for touch input. A GPS phone is probably the easiest solution and possibly the cheapest as well. :)