This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Anyone bought a Navigon - Pocket LOOX N100?my 1st gps

netrate 0 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
I am looking at getting my first GPS - the Navigon - Pocket LOOX
N100. The price is right and from what I have read, there seems to be
a lot going for it in a small package. My main concern is the size -
it is a little small for viewing, but aside from that, has anyone had
any experiences with this unit?

Also, what are some of the things I should look out for when buying a
GPS? What I mean is, are there things that don't always come with the
unit that will be ADD-ONS that cost a lot of money?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• My price range is 150-200, so I am hoping to get something during the BF rush.

Also, I need it for directions - I get lost all the time, even in my own city - and I do a lot of road trips in the winter and summer months. Thanks
  • I know nothing about that Navigon unit but I have seen a great sounding deal at Staples for the Navigon 2100T with free lifetime traffic for $99.99. Check Navigon's web site for details as those two units aren't reviewed on these web pages. If traffic is important to you, this may be the one to get.

I will tell you that Navigon units often have some screen sensitivity issues and sometimes you have to push a couple times to get an instruction to take plus the icons are small and hard to select.

If traffic is not important to you, you might want to consider a TomTom One unit for around $150 or less. Other than the TT One 3rd Edition, TomTom units offer Itinerary planning with multiple destinations. And all TomTom units offer Mapshare which allows users to share updated POIs and road closures and blockages.
  • Thank you for the response.

I am a little confused now.
    I want something that has an SD card right? I need maps for Canada and the USA. I would like something that has both Voice directions. I was told to look for Text to Voice, but I am unsure what that means. You say Traffic for $99? I am not sure what that means? Does it track how busy the highways are? Traffic is important to me, but more important is getting to my destination and having the ability to get multiple ways of getting there. Maybe this is too much for a sub $200 unit,. but I am unsure - what do you think? Do the units you mentions (TT one 3rd edition) have what I am looking for?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    The SD card makes it easier to add additional maps later on for areas not originally covered by your device. The majority of people never use it.

Text to speech devices will say "turn left on Maple Avenue" while other devices with voice prompting will say "turn left in 500 feet". Generally if you are in bigger cities with tight streets text to speech is handy, otherwise many people can do fine without it and the non text to speech voices sound better.
  • Does the TomTom One 3rd Ed. offer traffic? Is this something that is either they do or they don't?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    The 3rd Edition can be connected to a traffic receiver. It is about $130 and that includes a 12 month subscription.
  • Well, it looks like the Navigon 2100T is the one for me if they have any left by the time I hit the stores Friday night (which is doubtful).
    Thanks for your input.