How to perform a hard reset on your Nuvi

Boyd 1332 Points
From Garmin's knowledge base
Question:
How do I perform a master reset on my nuvi 30, 40, 50, 200, 205, 465, 500, 600, 700, 705 or 1000 series device?

Answer:
To perform a Master Reset on the nuvi 200, 205, 465, 500, 600, 700, 705, 1100, 1200, 1300, 1400 or 1600 series device:

Note: A master reset will erase all waypoints or Favorites and will restore your unit to the default factory settings. If you would like to back up your Favorites to your computer, you can find instructions to do so here.

• Start with the unit OFF and unplugged from power

• Touch and hold the lower right corner of the screen with an index finger or the eraser end of a pencil

• Continue touching and holding the lower right hand corner of the screen then power the unit ON

• Release the power button when the device powers ON

• You will see a new message: Do you really want to erase all user data?
Remove your finger from the touchscreen when this message displays

• Touch Yes (If text language is not in English, this is the button on the right )

The device will automatically reset. Follow the on screen prompts then place your device in an area with a clear view of the sky until it acquires satellites.

Link Referenced In This Article:

http://iqc.garmin.com/eCustomer/KODSelfService/request.do?create=kb:garmin&view()=c%7B51c35d50-3dbf-11df-e655-000000000000%7D

Last modified on: 11/08/2011

Comments

• t923347 208 Points
    The procedure for the 37xx is slightly different:

nuvi 37xx series hard reset:

Insure the Nuvi is powered off and not just in 'sleep' mode

- Power on the unit
    - When the Garmin copyright screen is displayed, press & hold the bottom-right corner of the screen
    - Release the screen when "Do you really want to erase all user data?" appears
    -Tap "Yes"

Note you can also delete all user data through the Diagnostic Screens (after pressing the speed indicator on the map screen, press the speedometer for 5+ seconds). Tap "Clear all User Data" which is the first item listed on the Diagnostics Page.

Mod note - SergZak adds the following:

After pressing the speed indicator on the map screen, press the compass heading indicator letter within the speedometer dial for 5+ seconds). Tap "Clear all User Data" which is the first item listed on the Diagnostics Page.
  • Boyd 1332 Points
    And for those of you with a Nuvi 295w
    Question:
    How do I perform a master reset on my nuvi 295W?

Answer:
    To perform a master reset on the nuvi 295W:

1. Touch Settings from the scrolling menu on the main menu screen
    2. Touch the menu button (three horizontal lines icon)
    3. Touch Master Clear
    4. Touch Yes when asked "Restore all settings to factory defaults and remove all user data?"

The device will restore the settings and then reset itself. Follow the on screen prompts and then place your device in an area with a clear view of the sky until it acquires satellites.

Note: A master reset will erase all your saved Favorites and Routes, as well as any photos and contacts.

Last modified on: 07/27/2010
  • gatorguy 191 Points
    And oddly, either the standard or 37xx reset method works with the 1695.
  • Boyd 1332 Points
    Note: resetting your Nuvi will erase all your favorites. Here are Garmin's instructions for backing them up.

Question: How do I backup my favorites on my nuvi or zumo device?

Answer:

In order to backup your favorites from your Garmin device you will need to follow the steps below:

Instructions for a PC:

1. Connect your Garmin device to your computer using a data transfer USB cable.
    2. Double-click on My Computer or Computer.
    3. Right-click on the Garmin device drive and select Open.
    4. Locate and double-click the GPX Folder. (On some devices you may need to open the Garmin Folder first then the GPX Folder)
    5. Right-click and copy the Current.gpx file.
    6. Locate your computer's Desktop.
    7. Right-click and select Paste to save the Current.gpx file onto your Desktop.

To send the file back to the GPS, please follow the steps below:

1. Right-click on the Current.gpx file on your Desktop and select Rename.
    2. Name the file Current1.gpx and then press Enter.
    3. Right-click on the Current1.gpx file and select Copy.
    4. Connect your device to your computer.
    5. Double-click on My Computer or Computer.
    6. Right-click on the Garmin device drive and select Open.
    7. Locate and double-click the GPX Folder. (On some devices you may need to open the Garmin Folder first then open the GPX Folder)
    8. Right-click and select Paste.
    9. Disconnect your device from your computer and allow it to boot up.

Your favorites will now be restored on your device.

Instructions for a Mac:

1. Connect the Garmin device to the Mac using a data transfer USB cable.
    2. Double-click on the Garmin device when you see it mounted to the Desktop.
    3. Locate and double-click the GPX Folder. (On some devices you may need to open the Garmin Folder first then open the GPX Folder)
    4. Right-click and copy the Current.gpx file.
    5. Right-click on your Mac's Desktop and select Paste to save the Current.gpx file onto the Desktop.

To send the file back to the GPS please follow the steps below:

1. Right-click on Current.gpx file on your Desktop and select Get Info.
    2. Under Name & Extension, rename the file Current1.gpx and press Enter.
    3. Right-click on the Current1.gpx file and select Copy.
    4. With Garmin device connected to the Mac, double-click on the Garmin Drive.
    5. Locate and double-click the GPX Folder. (On some devices you may need to open the Garmin Folder first then open the GPX Folder)
    6. Right-click and paste the Current1.gpx file into the GPX folder on your Garmin device.

Your favorites will now be restored on your device.

Last modified on: 12/16/2010
  • Boyd 1332 Points
    The 800 and 805 series also have a special procedure for the Master Reset:

Support
    Frequently Asked Questions

How do I perform a master reset my nuvi 800 or 805 series device?

11/30/2010

To perform a master reset on a nuvi 800 or 805 series device, please follow the steps below:

*Note: A master reset will erase all waypoints or Favorites and will restore your unit to the default factory settings. Use the link below to find out how to back up your Favorites.

https://buy.garmin.com/support/productSupport/kanaCase.faces?case=51c35d50-3dbf-11df-e655-000000000000

1. Remove battery from nuvi
    2. Place battery back into nuvi
    3. Touch-and-hold the bottom right corner of the touch screen when a progress bar appears
    4. Release the screen when "Do you really want to erase all user data?" appears
    5. Touch "Yes"

The device will now be reset.
  • Boyd 1332 Points
    Here's an interesting insight into what happens to your favorites when you do a hard reset.
    After performing a hard reset on my 3790 this morning I noticed something that you may want to add to the locked hard reset sticky thread.

As you know we always caution folks that doing a hard reset will delete all user data including your favorites and advise them to take a copy of the current.gpx file so that they can recover their favorites etc after the reset. What I found this morning was that this is not actually 100% accurate.

I have all of my favorites in categories which I created in Mapsource and then transferred to the Nuvi. If I add a new favorite on the 3790, by default it goes into one of the generic categories (address, co-ordinates, etc.) and I have to edit the saved entry to place it into one of my specific categories.

When I did the hard reset this morning I found that all the favorites that I had in my categories WHERE NOT LOST and the only ones that disappeared were the ones in the generic categories. Of course I could retrieve those by renaming my saved current.gpx to temp.gpx and sending it back to the Nuvi.

So it appears that if you have gone to the effort of categorizing your favorites, they will not be lost after a hard reset.
  • Lilla 0 Points
    Garmin: How do I backup my saved addresses or Favorites on my nuvi, zumo, dezl or nuLink! series device? https://buy.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.htm?caseId=%7b51c35d50-3dbf-11df-e655-000000000000%7d

Tip1. After restoring your favorites, it is important to delete the backup file (current1.gpx, temp.gpx, anyname.gpx) from your device. Keeping the backup file on your device causes confusion/weirdness when you edit favorites. Upon restarting you will find that favorites you deleted have reappeared, and favorites you changed now appear twice (the original entry and the one with your changes will both be there). This happens because the nuvi loads both current.gpx and current1.gpx on startup. In addition, it causes a similar confusion/weirdness to your saved routes when when you edit them. FYI, current.gpx contains routes and tracks, in addition to favorites.

Tip 2. After restoring your favorites, remember to import your saved routes (assuming you use this feature). Not all models support saving routes, but my nuvi 1490T does.

Tip 3. Posted by Boyd on the forum: Current.gpx isn't just waypoints (favorites). It also contains your tracks, your active route, and any saved routes (if your device supports them). If there are routes in the file, you should be able to import them. None of the Nuvi series can import tracklogs.
  • Boyd 1332 Points
    To perform a master reset on nuvi 2407, 2408, 2507, 2508, 2707 or 2708 series device, hold the device horizontally and follow the steps below:

Note: A master reset will erase all favorites and will restore your device to the default factory settings. If you would like to back up your favorites you can find the instructions to do so here https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={51c35d50-3dbf-11df-e655-000000000000}
    Tip/Lilla. Alternative (recommended). Backup and Restore your favorites manually by following the instruction provided by Boyd in the thread "How to perform common tasks" > "How to perform a hard reset".

1. Start with the device turned off and unplugged from power. To verify the device is powered off and not in standby mode, press and hold down the power button until prompted to turn off the device.
    2. Power on the device.
    3. When the first copyright screen appears press and hold the lower right hand corner of the display portion of the touchscreen.
    4. Remove your finger from the touchscreen when "Erase all user data?" appears.
    5. Touch Yes. If the text language is not in English, this is the button on the right.

The device will now be reset. Follow the on-screen prompts then place the device in an area with a clear view of the sky until it acquires satellites.

Although the master reset will erase all saved favorites, any loaded custom points of interest will remain intact on the device.

Last modified on: 04/04/2013

FYI, the instruction above is from Garmin at this link...
    https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={19d92df0-6f4b-11e2-65d0-000000000000}
  • Boyd 1332 Points
    Just realised that sticky doesn't include your model, so here is the procedure (with thanks to t923347):

To perform a master reset on a nuvi 2405 or 2505 series device:

Note: A master reset will erase all favorites and will restore your device to the default factory settings. If you would like to back up your favorites you can find instructions to do so at http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/21511/x/p1/

Start with the device turned off and unplugged from power
    Press and hold the lower right hand corner of the touchscreen
    Power the nuvi on
    Remove your finger when a message appears that says "Erase all user data?"
    Touch Yes
    The device will now be reset. Follow the on-screen prompts then place the device in an area with a clear view of the sky until it acquires satellites.

The nuvi 2405 and 2505 series can also be reset using a special screen on the device. To master reset using this second method:

Turn the nuvi on
    Touch View Map
    Touch the speed field
    Touch and hold your finger on the center of the speedometer until the screen changes (about six seconds)
    Touch Clear all user data
    Touch Yes to confirm

Although the master reset will erase all saved favorites, any loaded custom points of interest will remain intact on the device.
This discussion has been closed.
↑ Top