This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Motorola MotoNav TN765T Skin

SciFi2010 0 Points
edited November -1 in Motorola MotoNav
Motorola MotoNav TN765T Skin

TN765

How to install

http://rapidshare.com/files/436935327/DATA.zip

h-t-t-p-:-/-/-r-a-p-i-d-s-h-a-r-e-.-c-o-m/files/436935327/DATA.zip

download data.zip, (remove all - from the link)
connect device to PC,
copy data.zip to MotoNav folder
(You don't have to remove the original data.gro)

Additions to the main screen

current date and time,
ETA,
direction to the destination,
toll road avoidance status,
routing algorithm (Quickest/Fastest, Short, Mostly Highways),
if vehicle different from “Car”, it is shown with red exclamation mark,
mute/un-mute status,

Direction arrows (for example, to destination, to POI)

if speed < 5 mph then geographic direction (North, Northeast...)
if speed >=5 mph then direction based on car heading.

New shortcuts:

click on time/date to change volume level or mute,
click on toll road avoidance status to change it.

Version 12/18/2010:

1. The error with changing vehicle type after reset is fixed.
2. There will be red text "Vehicle" if vehicle different than car.
3. Lower volume of the welcome sound when the unit starts/reboots.
4. Improved ETA. (some GUI problems fixed)
5. This is how the unit behaves when you type address or POI name: Interactive address/POI search is OFF.
I experienced keyboard problems when the unit was searching for addresses/POIs while I was typing (missing or double keystrokes). Now, the user has to tap the new Search button to start the search. I think it works better than before.
It can be turn ON/OFF in Settings/System/Buttons
6. There is a couple of new options in the main menu.
7. End of Trip: I changed the sequence of fields. Now, you can easily see trip distance and time.

Version 1/5/2011:

1. Current street/address on the main screen
2. Return to a vehicle icon from 1st version instead of the red vehicle text.
3. Original software has a problem with saving vehicle type. A small code was added to fix it.
4. Minor stability/usability improvements

h-t-t-p-:-/-/-r-a-p-i-d-s-h-a-r-e-.-c-o-m/files/440970044/DATA.zip

Version 1/7/2011:
1. Tap the bottom blue bar in the middle to switch between:
a) Current street address ( C: ),
b) Next street ( N: ),
c) Current speed ( S: ),
d) Blank.

2. Geographic coordinates in the Map Explore mode.
Unfortunately, there is no way to find a place based on coordinates. This is the best I could get.

3. Originally, coordinates were overlapped by the button on the Dashboard. Now, they are clear and 6 digits after decimal point.

h-t-t-p-:-/-/-r-a-p-i-d-s-h-a-r-e-.-c-o-m-/files/441288847/DATA.zip_version_1-7-2011
(remove version no from file name)

Version 1/8/2011:

Voice Recognition icon was hidden in the previous version. Now, it is visible again.

Data.zip (remove version text from name) is located at ftp.echofoxx.com

Comments

• Spyder63 231 Points
    This skin does work as described. The new info shows up at the bottom of the map screen embeded in a light blue status bar.

• dhave 0 Points
    Wow, SciFi2010, that is so cool. Thanks. Is this your creation? What other wonders can you work?

I guess speed limits are a function of the maps, but if there's any way to make speed limits display for roads other than interstates, that'd be great.

I really like the current time and ETA. Plus, you did a good job of making the mod unobtrusive.
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    Problem (bug?) with Motonav "SciFi Skin" -

I experimented with changing the Travel Mode (vehicle type) (Settings > Navigation) to see how the icons were displayed on the main map screen. It works as described to a point. Normally my default vehicle is Automobile and after the experiment that is how I reset it. BUT I now find that after shutting down my TN765 to the "off" mode (essentially a soft reset) by holding the power button to the left for the required 8-10 seconds when the unit restarts the default vehicle always goes back to Bicycle. This does not happen if the PND is powered down to the Sleep mode with a quick slide of the power button. Even if I change my default vehicle to say, Taxi, power down (8-10 sec) when it powers back up it is again set to Bicycle. (Maybe this is a Chinese developed skin???)

Is this happening to anyone else?
  • SciFi2010 0 Points
    edited December 2010
    Version 12/18/2010

1. The error with changing vehicle type after reset is fixed.

2. There will be red text "Vehicle" if vehicle different than car.

3. Lower volume of the welcome sound when the unit starts/reboots.

4. Improved ETA. (some GUI problems fixed)

5. This is how the unit behaves when you type address or POI name: Interactive address/POI search is OFF.
    I experienced keyboard problems when the unit was searching for addresses/POIs while I was typing (missing or double keystrokes). Now, the user has to tap the new Search button to start the search. I think it works better than before.
    It can be turn ON/OFF in Settings/System/Buttons

6. There is a couple of new options in the main menu.

7. End of Trip: I changed the sequence of fields. Now, you can easily see trip distance and time.

-h-t-t-p-:-/-/-r-a-p-i-d-s-h-a-r-e-.-c-o-m-/files/438236621/DATA.zip
  • dhave 0 Points
    I'm looking forward to it. Thanks.
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    @SciFi2010 - Thanks also for your attention to detail. I am re-posting your info in the Motonav forum at https://supportforums.motorola.com/ and guys over there are excited. Here is a re-post from Thunderlizard

I'm really diggin this! I hope the SciFi dude takes it even further and allows color customization, speed warning customization, etc, etc. He may, single handedly, keep this device alive! Go Sci-Fi dude!!

Getting Current Speed on the main map is one feature I think everyone would like to see - not to mention about fifty others. :P Item #5 on your list will be interesting to try.
  • Thank SciFi2010!

Will # 5 be configurable or will it be all or nothing?
  • dhave 0 Points
    Another homerun, SciFi2010. You're really helping a lot of us have a more positive attitude toward our little TN765t's.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to future innovations.
  • I am greatly impressed SciFi, but I have a few questions.

1) The new music icon says to connect the 3.5mm plug. Where does it plug into? The mount or the unit itself somehow?

2)Under customizable buttons setting,a new choice labeled either "Interactive search" or "Button Search" is added. What does it do? I cannot see it doing anything.

I think I am finding a problem. On a route I take frequently, I am now getting a "Special permit required" message. I checked, and it is still using a car as the mode of transportation. A glitch maybe?

I just bought this gps, and now after adding your little mod, it is the best gps I have ever used. Thanks for your clever work.
  • Hi,

I am glad you all enjoy my skin/mod.

1. Music: I don't know what it does. Maybe, there will be a special iPod cable to connect iPod to the cradle. I don't know.

2. The interactive search is about how the unit searches addresses and POIs. Select Interactive/Button Search and type your address/POI. You will see the difference.

3. Permit roads: I doubt I broke it. Set it the way you want it, reboot the unit, and check if the setting stays.

S.
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    It could be the music/iPod reference is related to the Motonav software available for Motorola smartphones? Why would anyone want to play their MP3s thru the tinny-tiny PND speaker without having an FM transmitter?

EDIT/Update: Forgot about the "never made it to market" TA-105 car integration kit so most likely a vestige of that device. This is a connector cable that came with it to hook up to iPods.

And here is the exact window we now see with this skin:

I was seeing some inconsistencies with regard to the vehicle icon, but it seems to have straightened itself out. I don't think I like the red text VEHICLE showing up if not in "car" mode. Any chance to get the original icons back with the exclamation point or just outline the icons in red?

Have you done any experimenting with using the mSD slot? Any chance it could be utilized for placement of the DATA.zip file so simply removing an SD card would restore the PND to normal operation? (Similar to MioPocket approach)
  • Spyder (you know he gets around a bit!) mentioned in the Moto forum that the creator of the new skin was her, so I had to pop on over.

I wanted to say "Thank You!" to you, SciFi dude, for infusing some life back into this device!
    I believe that, given the areas of appeal for the MotoNav, users of this device, by nature, like to remain at the forefront of features and function. (some call it "cutting edge of technology"). Otherwise, we'd have bought the same-old safe, tried and true GPS that's been out there for a while. (In that regard, many of us are former Navigon folks, so there's the parallel.)
    That being said, when Moto cut us off in July, and the unit began to go stale, that led to a lot of unhappy MotoNav users (myself included). The fact that you have picked up the ball and are now producing the most dramatic changes/improvements since the unit came out, is awesome. (and some say there is no Santa Claus!!)
    I'm not sure what your motivation is, and if you're like many of us, it may simply be because you can! (love to tweek!), but again, you have my eternal thanks for your time and effort.
    Now, if you can figure out a way to get us Clear Channel traffic, I'd do backflips! (And I'd gladly pay for it too!;) )

Keep doing what you do, and know that there are a lot of Moto folks who are much happier because of it! A Blessed Christmas to you and yours!
  • Anyone have a mirror? Rapidshare is saying a 10 download limit has been reached. Thanks!
  • send me a pm with your email and I'll email the file to you! :D
  • Unfortunately I don't have enough posts to send a PM... I'll just send you my junk email addy: j t a t e 8 2 @ h o t m a i l . c o m. Thanks!
  • Man I'm sorry but the file is 11 MB. Both my Outlook and my web mail have a 10 MB file limit!

It just won't go. Sorry!

• 2)Under customizable buttons setting,a new choice labeled either "Interactive search" or "Button Search" is added. What does it do? I cannot see it doing anything.

If you select "Interactive" the device will search as you type (may be faster, may be slower, depending on the length of the name you are searching!).

If you select "Button", the device will not search the database until you press "Search". (on the bottom row.)

Good mod! I'm not sure how I will use it, but knowing my "Type A" self, I'll probably choose "Button" (...you will search when I TELL you to search! ;) Ha!)...it's a control thing...sorry...
  • Unfortunately I don't have enough posts to send a PM... I'll just send you my junk email addy: j t a t e 8 2 @ h o t m a i l . c o m. Thanks!

Check your email now. Tried something different (supplied by Spyder).
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    Let me know if it worked that way.
  • Thanks, working great now. I was about to comment that I'm also getting the "special permit required" message but then I remembered I'm on a military base so that's actually true :P
  • Hello SciFi,

AWESOME job on the skin, can you add "current street" to the skin while in navigation mode? I'm sure that's a feature many ppl have been wanting on the GPS. Thanks!!
  • dhave 0 Points
    Thanks, working great now. I was about to comment that I'm also getting the "special permit required" message but then I remembered I'm on a military base so that's actually true :P
    Yeah, that's a feature, not a bug. I got this today when I entered a destination in a swank, gated subdivision.
  • 1. I will add the current street (actually street address) in the next release.
    2. I would appreciate if someone could find a better download location for the skin, and perhaps, a few screen-shots.
    3. I read this and other forums frequently, but I cannot always respond on time. sorry.

4. BTW, I like the End of Trip left panel now. It gives me trip distance and time.

For next release,

1. Current street.
    2. I will see if it is possible to call left panel screens/windows directly. I mean to be able to click Traffic, Aerial View, Turn-by-Turn, or Dashboard with one tap, instead of current several left or right taps.
    3. I don't like sorted Recent Trips. I like most recent on the top. I will see if I can turn off sorting.
    4. Favorites: I don't like to go through the regular GoTo/Map/Options screen when I select a favorite location. I very well know where my favorites are. When I select a favorite, I like to immediately jump to navigation.

S.
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    The other big feature request is for current speed to show while navigating. (and more speed limit signs on secondary roads, but that is probably beyond the scope of of this endeavor).
  • Spyder63 231 Points

2. I would appreciate if someone could find a better download location for the skin, and perhaps, a few screen-shots.

Take a look at WikiSpaces - http://www.wikispaces.com/content/pricing

A free account should do all you need/want.

Turboccc uses it for all the Garmin utilities he has developed.
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    Just sitting here thinking about other possible improvements/enhancements and is there any way to make the Elapsed Time data (Trip Info in Multi-View) resettable so it more accurately indicates the start of a trip? Right now once you calculate a route the clock starts running and I would like to be able to reset it to 0:00 at the time of my choosing, which generally will be the actual moment I put the car or truck in gear and start rolling.
  • 1. I will add the current street (actually street address) in the next release.
    3. I read this and other forums frequently, but I cannot always respond on time. sorry.

4. BTW, I like the End of Trip left panel now. It gives me trip distance and time.

For next release,

1. Current street.
    2. I will see if it is possible to call left panel screens/windows directly. I mean to be able to click Traffic, Aerial View, Turn-by-Turn, or Dashboard with one tap, instead of current several left or right taps.
    3. I don't like sorted Recent Trips. I like most recent on the top. I will see if I can turn off sorting.
    4. Favorites: I don't like to go through the regular GoTo/Map/Options screen when I select a favorite location. I very well know where my favorites are. When I select a favorite, I like to immediately jump to navigation.

S.
    These are awesome additions and I'm sure the rest of the Motonav community will be as anxious as i am to see them!

Something to note, however, on the favorites: I rearranged my menu buttons so that Favorites shows up when you touch the screen for Enter destination Mode. You can also program your customizable button (hardware) to bring it up. That being said, if what you're suggesting is difficult, don't get hung up on it. Just bring the "current street"! ;)

Thanks for all you do! With these types of contributions, it won't be long before you have your own "swishy thingy" above your avatar! :lol:
  • Now, if you can figure out a way to get us Clear Channel traffic, I'd do backflips! (And I'd gladly pay for it too!;) )
    I'm planning to buy this GPS (waiting for Maps/update) and have been following this for some time.

NNG products (I have not looked at the .exe for TN765T)...but IGO8 and Primo all carry ClearChannel subscription code imbedded. It currently is $50 for a lifetime subscription and can be purchased through IGO8 US gps providers.

I've not played with the TN765T to know if the subscription script is functional/TMC...but it looks like it is in the data.zip. Once entered, it creates cctmc.dat file in the save folder....this allows the .exe to dycrpt the clearchannel TMC data. Now there may be other functionality that has been disabled...but it also may be possible already.
  • Spyder63 231 Points

These are awesome additions and I'm sure the rest of the Motonav community will be as anxious as i am to see them!

Something to note, however, on the favorites: I rearranged my menu buttons so that Favorites shows up when you touch the screen for Enter destination Mode. You can also program your customizable button (hardware) to bring it up. That being said, if what you're suggesting is difficult, don't get hung up on it. Just bring the "current street"! ;)

Thanks for all you do! With these types of contributions, it won't be long before you have your own "swishy thingy" above your avatar! :lol:
    I wrote the exact same suggestion and then deleted it as I figured SciFi knew about the two options mentioned and that his idea would certainly be more efficient. Hope he can get it to work.

(Not sure he will get a "swishy thing" - not this Christmas anyway. :) )

I know we are starting to pump him with suggestions, but I have the feeling he is just doing it his way and we will have to live with what we get. We have all complained at one time or another that they (the big guys) have yet to make the perfect gps and skin enhancements is going to play out the same way. After watching the development of skins for other PNDs this kind of project can consume one's life and he probably has already has one he would rather not give up. :wink:

• These are awesome additions and I'm sure the rest of the Motonav community will be as anxious as i am to see them!

I wrote the exact same suggestion and then deleted it as I figured SciFi knew about the two options mentioned and that his idea would certainly be more efficient. Hope he can get it to work.

I know we are starting to pump him with suggestions, but I have the feeling he is just doing it his way and we will have to live with what we get. We have all complained at one time or another that they (the big guys) have yet to make the perfect gps and skin enhancements is going to play out the same way. After watching the development of skins for other PNDs this kind of project can consume one's life and he probably has already has one he would rather not give up. :wink:
    Amen. And for whatever SciFi does, (or has already done) he has my gratitude. I'll take whatever he wants to deliver! (and will not "look the Gift Horse in the mouth"! ;) ) :)
  • Now, if you can figure out a way to get us Clear Channel traffic, I'd do backflips! (And I'd gladly pay for it too!;) )

I'm planning to buy this GPS (waiting for Maps/update) and have been following this for some time.

NNG products (I have not looked at the .exe for TN765T)...but IGO8 and Primo all carry ClearChannel subscription code imbedded. It currently is $50 for a lifetime subscription and can be purchased through IGO8 US gps providers.

I've not played with the TN765T to know if the subscription script is functional/TMC...but it looks like it is in the data.zip. Once entered, it creates cctmc.dat file in the save folder....this allows the .exe to dycrpt the clearchannel TMC data. Now there may be other functionality that has been disabled...but it also may be possible already.
    If the functionality is as you say it is, then that would be a most welcome addition for me. I've posted several forums on the virtues of Clear Channel vs. the others, and as a business traveler, I would LOVE to see a way to implement it. Mind you. I'm not looking for something free, I would gladly pay for a subscription if it were available. So, I say, if you can do it, run with it!! :D
  • +1 on the clear channel traffic. They have service in my area but the navteq service has nothing. If I had known that beforehand, I would have seriously reconsidered getting this unit

• (Not sure he will get a "swishy thing" - not this Christmas anyway. :) )

Really??

Hmmmm. That being the case, Tim and the other mods may be getting a visit from the ghosts of Past, Present, and Future! :lol:

Considering that SciFi has provided the MOST SIGNIFICANT improvement in the MotoNav since it's introduction, I say...GIVE HIM A SWISHY!!! (said with a tonal inflection remeniscent of Varuca Salt... :lol: )
  • dhave 0 Points
    I'll take anything SciFi2010 comes up with. He seems to have good instincts about what works and what doesn't work. It looks as if he's working at getting as much functionality as possible.

So cool.
  • I'll take anything SciFi2010 comes up with. He seems to have good instincts about what works and what doesn't work. It looks as if he's working at getting as much functionality as possible.

So cool.
    And, judging from a previous post, you'd probably like to see "waterproof" also added to the list?? :wink: Ha!
  • dhave 0 Points
    And, judging from a previous post, you'd probably like to see "waterproof" also added to the list?? :wink: Ha!
    Oh, yes. That's something I had forgotten about. This would be helpful for cyclists and pedestrians as well as for people like my son who jump into rivers with a GPS in their pocket.

Of course, the boy's father dropped a Blackberry in the toilet, so it must run in the family. 8)
  • And, judging from a previous post, you'd probably like to see "waterproof" also added to the list?? :wink: Ha!

Oh, yes. That's something I had forgotten about. This would be helpful for cyclists and pedestrians as well as for people like my son who jump into rivers with a GPS in their pocket.

Of course, the boy's father dropped a Blackberry in the toilet, so it must run in the family. 8)
    Probably time to ditch the Blackberry for some good Android lovin' anyway!
  • dhave 0 Points
    No, I'm loyal to Blackberry. Not a lot of frills, but it's a tough little phone. Mine hits the floor every few days and still looks brand-new.
  • Spyder63 231 Points

Really??

Hmmmm. That being the case, Tim and the other mods may be getting a visit from the ghosts of Past, Present, and Future! :lol:

Considering that SciFi has provided the MOST SIGNIFICANT improvement in the MotoNav since it's introduction, I say...GIVE HIM A SWISHY!!! (said with a tonal inflection remeniscent of Varuca Salt... :lol: )
    I suppose you could start a petition. :roll:
  • Spyder63 231 Points

Oh, yes. That's something I had forgotten about. This would be helpful for cyclists and pedestrians as well as for people like my son who jump into rivers with a GPS in their pocket. 8)
    Isn't that why they invented zip-lock baggies? :roll:

• (Not sure he will get a "swishy thing" - not this Christmas anyway. :) )

Really??

I suppose you could start a petition. :roll:
    ...as an act of kindness and servitude...you could donate your swishy thingy? :P
  • dhave 0 Points
    Oh, yes. That's something I had forgotten about. This would be helpful for cyclists and pedestrians as well as for people like my son who jump into rivers with a GPS in their pocket. 8)

Isn't that why they invented zip-lock baggies? :roll:
    They don't make 'em big enough for a six-foot-tall kid.
  • Spyder63 231 Points

...as an act of kindness and servitude...you could donate your swishy thingy? :P

Nope! If you're not the lead dog the scenery never changes! :roll:
  • hi all, can someone email this file to me? I am having problems downloading it from rapidshare. thanks. email is d-j-u-n-i-c-@-y-a-h-o-o.-c-o-m
  • dhave 0 Points
    hi all, can someone email this file to me? I am having problems downloading it from [no links to file sharing services]. thanks. email is d-j-u-n-i-c-@-y-a-h-o-o.-c-o-m
    check you inbox. i might have succeeded. let me know if so.
  • Dhave, thanks got it. now how do i get it to sync? i have a pc and i moved the file into moto nav folder but how do i get the toolbox to pick it up and install? many thanks again.
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    You have done all that needs to be done.

Per SciFi's instructions:

download data.zip
    connect device to PC,
    copy data.zip to MotoNav folder

You do not need to Unzip. Let it be.

If it does not seem to be working do a soft reset with the button on the bottom of your unit. Then you should see an image similar to posted earlier. In the Main Menu you will see several new buttons.

It is pretty much a PhD install. :wink:

Edit/Update: The above assumes you have a TN765T as we do not know if it works with any other models and you placed the data.zip file inside the Motonav folder on the PND.
  • hey all really appreciate this skin! but i can't get download it due to a download limit. Does anyone mind emailing it to me? my email is teamjoltmotion(at)gmail.com thanks in advance!
  • I made a mistake initially moving the data.zip file into motonav folder on my comp thinking it'll sync the unit once i open the toolbox. Then i realized what i needed to do is put the data.zip onto the motonav folder on the unit.

thanks again. this is awesome.
  • There seem to a lot of options out there. Can someone post the latest skin to one of these http://www.google.com/search?q=free+file+hosting

Thanks.