This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Motorola MotoNav TN765T Skin

Comments

• Hi, Im new to the forum, I have read the string on this skin mod, I would appreaciate a copy as well Sir, e-mail rgoellner@xplornet.com
  • Hi SciFi, any thing we can do about the AI computer voice who can't pronounce english words, and/or has no clue what an abreviation such as CR (county road) is, her translation is CREED or CREEK, also it seems the GPS often shows un named road that I will be turning on, but seems to know the name when Im on it?
    thanks for any help and programing
    rgoellner
  • Hi SciFi, any thing we can do about the AI computer voice who can't pronounce english words, and/or has no clue what an abreviation such as CR (county road) is, her translation is CREED or CREEK, also it seems the GPS often shows un named road that I will be turning on, but seems to know the name when Im on it?
    thanks for any help and programing
    rgoellner
    I haven't tested this yet, so I'm not sure if it works but I remember back when I used IGO on my phone I could change the pronunciations of words via a text file. I remember when looking through the files of the motonav a few days ago that it looked like there was a similar such file, with pronunciations and abbreviation info.
  • Hi Scifi
    I'm not sure if all other TN765T users get the same thing, when I miss a street or routing command, the AI sais @#$%$@$%% calculation, for the life of me I can't make out the first word lol.

If it is not too much trouble I would love a copy of your skin mod, I love the wide screen 765t, the first thing I thought of was a real time clock on the map view, I would appreciate it immensly Sir
    my e-mail rgoellner@xplornet.com
  • Hi Guys,

I will work on new versions, but can someone upload the skin to a place with unlimited download, PLEASE?
    A few screens-shots would be nice as well.

Marry Christmas!!! Happy New Year!!!

S.
  • Dont' know what the rest of you think, but instead of map updates we have to pay for, wouldn't it be nice to have real time map share like tom tom. they use NAVTEQ maps yet it can be altered right from the GPS itself. so we as a users correct and upgrade the maps continuously when you plug your PDN into the PC the results are uploaded to tomtom and verified before it is shared with the rest of the users, Motorola being such a giant in the comunnication world should offer this to it's consumers, especially for a $300 plus high end PND.
    just my two cents, and wish for future software upgrade for the 765t
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    Hi Guys,

I will work on new versions, but can someone upload the skin to a place with unlimited download, PLEASE?

S.
    You don't feel it would be in your best interest to look into my earlier suggestion? You would be in control and could post new versions as appropriate or when you felt like it, screenshots of your choice, etc.

Take a look at WikiSpaces - http://www.wikispaces.com/content/pricing

A free account should do all you need/want.

Turboccc uses it for all the Garmin utilities he has developed.
  • dhave 0 Points
    Hi Guys,

S.

You don't feel it would be in your best interest to look into my earlier suggestion? You would be in control and could post new versions as appropriate or when you felt like it, screenshots of your choice, etc.

Take a look at WikiSpaces - http://www.wikispaces.com/content/pricing

A free account should do all you need/want.

Turboccc uses it for all the Garmin utilities he has developed.
    Looks like there's a 10Mb per file limit on the free accounts. SciFi's data.zip comes in at around 11Mb, doesn't it?
  • Thunderlizard, could you please send me the skin, at rgoellner@xplornet.com thanks in advance
  • If someone sends the latest one to ariherman --- at ---- gmail I'll do my best to try and find a free way to share it online.
  • dhave 0 Points
    If someone sends the latest one to ariherman --- at ---- gmail I'll do my best to try and find a free way to share it online.
    Assuming gmail's servers do their job, a copy of SciFi2010's 18dec2010 data.zip file should be in your inbox.

This is SciFi's latest release, unless I missed something.

Let me know if you get it.
  • I uploaded to Rapidshare with my premium account so it should be unlimited downloads. Here's the link [link to file sharing service removed.]
  • Can i get this file, the link is not working. Thanks
  • Can someone send the file to my gmail account ; echofoxx1@gmail.com
  • Thanks for the file dhave

Here is the link http://www.m-e-d-i-a-f-i-r-e.com/?dnbq9lsqvs268cb just remove the dashes

(lemme know if it works)
  • Thanks for the file dhave

Here is the link http://www.[no links to file sharing services].com/?dnbq9lsqvs268cb just remove the dashes

(lemme know if it works)

The link got chopped off. i can host it on my site, just email the file to echofoxx@gmail.com
  • echofoxx 0 Points
    edited December 2010
    ="SciFi2010" Hi Guys,

S.
    You can post your updates to this FTP below. you can use this just email me at echofoxx1@gmail.com for the password. or test me @757-726-7056

* FTP Username: gps@echofoxx.com
    * Password: ********
    * FTP Server: ftp.echofoxx.com
    * FTP Server Port: 21
    * Quota: 300 MB
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    @SciFi - I sent you a PM regarding hosting your skin development files. May all be moot now though since echofoxx offered his solution.
  • Oh, SciFi Dude, where art thou? :)
  • Anyone try this with a 5xx unit?
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    Not that we have seen posted. Should not hurt anything to try it on a 555/565. Screen size could be an issue and sys.txt file may point the skin to "vantage" as opposed to "astra", which is 4.3 inch units.
  • Not that we have seen posted. Should not hurt anything to try it on a 555/565. Screen size could be an issue and sys.txt file may point the skin to "vantage" as opposed to "astra", which is 4.3 inch units.
    This data.zip will not work with 555/565. It contains 854x358 resolution only (765)...to run on 4.3" the resolution folder from 565 will have to be added to data.zip....If someone was to post one...I'm sure it could be added to allow updates for multiple platforms....you'd just have to adjust sys.txt to assign resolution folder for your specific unit.
  • hello everyone new to the group very interesting site. on the skin that dude made i have it but not sure how to use it, i copyed the zip into motonav folder but didny unzip the file not sure if you are suppose to unzip or not.
    after putting the zip in the folder it showed up on the gps but small and in a solid blue box . anyhelp on what i did wrong.

thanks Jack
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    Which model are you trying the skin with.? See Bluetooth's post re 5xx models.

Also you do not unzip the file as noted in several earlier posts.
  • The data.zip is for 765 only. Make sure to run motoextras and backup your gps first. Exit from Motoextras and disconnect from usb. Re-connect usb...your computer should recognize the gps as a drive unit and you can explore the content of flashdisk (drive E: flashdisk on my computer, F: sd drive on my computer) Locate Motonav folder.on the gps Delete the data.gro and copy the data.zip from this post to the Motonav folder on the GPS. Disconnect and you should see the updates. If you have problems....you always have a backup.
  • Also, The "Astra" and "Vantage" settings in the data.zip define the branded POI sets along with Regional Settings (language...) for the country and unit model 500 or 700 series. They are set up for US, UK, Canada, EU.
  • thanks for a quick responce. the model is TN765T
    you said Delete the data.gro i didnt delete anything maybe thats the problem.

i did just as you said but still looks the same i will try and post a picture tomorrow night
    THANK YOU
  • i did just as you said but still looks the same i will try and post a picture tomorrow night
    THANK YOU
    It should look the same...you'll only notice slight changes as outlined above.
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    thanks for a quick responce. the model is TN765T
    you said Delete the data.gro i didnt delete anything maybe thats the problem.

i did just as you said but still looks the same i will try and post a picture tomorrow night
    THANK YOU

I did not originally delete DATA.gro on my TN765 and the skin works just fine. Just to be safe, and have a way to "go back" easily now I simply renamed DATA.gro to DATA_ORIG.gro and all is still working A-OK on my PND.

IMHO something else is not right on your PND. Perhaps you have a bad zip file and should try to re-download and try again?

EDIT/UPDATE - I just noticed that I continue to have a re-occurring problem in that my default vehicle (automobile) gets changed to a different "vehicle" after the unit has been turned off for a period of time. The main map page does not show the red VEHICLE alert that it has changed. I see the change when a route is calculated and I notice the the route options icon is a different . Is this happening to anybody else?
  • I noticed this happen to me when I go into options after a route has been calculated, and I change the fastest, shortest, or mostly highway option, when returning to map view, a red letter "VEHICLE" appears on the bottem left corner of the screen, checking back in navigation from the main menu, the Automobile is unchecked, as are all boxes, rechecking the automobile seems to correct the issue
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    Thanks for the confirmation that is just ain't me! :)

SciFi will hopefully address this situation as he felt he had it fixed in V2. It can certainly catch people unaware and set up a route that is totally bogus. Can you imagine it calculating a route from NYC to LA and you don't realize you are in Pedestrian mode? :lol: :lol:

Currently mine reverts to Emergency vehicle mode for whatever reason on the route Option page and yet my default vehicle is still Automobile/Car. Very random and intermittent, but time the unit is OFF seems to be a factor.
  • Hi,

1. I wonder if the error is because of the mod/skin or
    is it an old MotoNav error that is apparent now because of the mod/skin functionality?

2. On my device, after I select "Car" it stays this way. I have turned the device on and off a few times, rebooted a few times, and it was always returning to "Car".

3. I will be able to test it next week. Perhaps, there are specific scenarios that lead to the error.

S.
  • I noticed yesterday that my unit was set to "Taxi" and there was no red notifier, however, once I switched it back to car it seems to have stayed that way.
    I never saw any instructions from SciFi dude about deleting the data.gro file and I have not done so. Everything seems to be working just fine.

I am curious - what's the routing difference between car and taxi? I have car set to "fastest" which I would assume a taxi would want too?

Hey! I got a "swishy-thingy"!! Quick - somebody take my picture! Ha! This is better than a government bail out! And they say there's no Santa Claus!

(Thanks mods...if I die tomorrow, I'll die a happy man! I now know that I am a legitimate GPS poster! No, not "poster-child"...POSTER! :) )
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    You earned your "squishy-thing" with some pretty good advice to forum members. We appreciate it too! Were you able to see your "Welcome"?
  • No. I just saw the "swishy". No "club" forum either.

But thanks for your consideration and the "badge". I've gotten so much good info and advice from this forum, it's been my desire to give something back. Hopefully I've helped some folks the way others have helped me. :)
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    We'll take care of that. :)
  • Thanks for the confirmation that is just ain't me! :)

SciFi will hopefully address this situation as he felt he had it fixed in V2. It can certainly catch people unaware and set up a route that is totally bogus. Can you imagine it calculating a route from NYC to LA and you don't realize you are in Pedestrian mode? :lol: :lol:

Currently mine reverts to Emergency vehicle mode for whatever reason on the route Option page and yet my default vehicle is still Automobile/Car. Very random and intermittent, but time the unit is OFF seems to be a factor.
    Well, I checked mine again a little while ago and, lo! and behold...it was set to Taxi again! I also noticed that I cannot turn off the voice prompts either. I've done a reset a-la pin button on the bottom, but had no affect.

Did anyone else have to delete the Data.gro file? I have not but will do it if it will fix the problem.
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    So far I just renamed my data.gro. Next step will be to delete it.

I just tried a different scenario:

Put Moto in sleep mode. (aka normal Off)

Turned it back on in 15 seconds.

Default vehicle was back to Emergency. I went straight to Settings > Navigation and it was there.

I did not create a route as I had been doing. I set the gps down and at some point the red Vehicle warning did appear on the map page.
  • Awesome, awesome, awesome!! SciFi you are the man!
  • The reason I said to delete the data.gro is because the data.zip and data.gro are the same thing. The data.gro is just an encrypted data.zip. That means you won't have 2 of them in the working directory of the program. It may or may not cause problems...I'd error on the side of safety and remove one to eliminate possible contamination if problems come up. It will make it easier to isolate the cause of problems as changes are made. Hope this helps.
  • dhave 0 Points
    The reason I said to delete the data.gro is because the data.zip and data.gro are the same thing. The data.gro is just an encrypted data.zip. That means you won't have 2 of them in the working directory of the program. It may or may not cause problems...I'd error on the side of safety and remove one to eliminate possible contamination if problems come up. It will make it easier to isolate the cause of problems as changes are made. Hope this helps.
    @blueTOOTH: Your suggestion made a lot of sense, so I moved data.gro to my laptop's hard drive. New problem: I'm pretty sure that, without data.gro in place on the PND, it won't be recognized by Motoextras Toolbox. I haven't done multiple tests yet, but after many unsuccessful attempts to get Toolbox to recognize my device without data.gro in place, I decided to copy it back to the device and ... voilà. The device was recognized immediately.
  • Interesting assessment Dhave. This morning, I checked my device, and it was once again in Taxi mode. Not sure what's up with that.

Oh, and I can't turn off the Gin-lady either. So there I am, in the way to work in my "taxi", listening to a lady who sounds like she's had too much gin and smoked too many cigarettes! What a way to end the year! :lol:
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    In my case I am reverting to Emergency mode and should be thankful since I was stuck in bicycle mode for a couple days. No idea why it changed.

Later today I can check out dhave's discovery with missing data.gro vs. just renaming the file and access to Moto Toolbox. Have company the next several days so not a lot of time to play.

BTW for poops and giggles I changed the .gro file extension to .zip to see if the files could be extracted and no go.

@blueTOOTH - did you edit your posts regarding unlocking the TN765 and remove some of your pertinent comments and screen shots? Enquiring minds want to know. If so, why? The Big Guys watching over us do not see a problem with the info presented.
  • Over on the Moto forum, mlittleton downloaded and installed the iGo R3 and reports that it works great so far! I'll be watching this one pretty closely.

As I've stated on the Moto blog, I would certainly prefer to stick with Motorola updates, but given that there haven't been any for 6 months, I may be forced to look elsewhere. Additionally, I can only assume that this is a paid download, and do not endorse any pirating whatsoever.
  • hope to hear more on that update soon!!

:D
  • Ok so the iGo R3 maps do not work. I replaced the .fbl and when I try to put in a POI it says there are no roads available so I went back to stock maps. The skin works great however!
  • Ok I'm being told on the motonav forums that I have to use the entire map set at once and that will work. I was just trying to update the Georgia map and nothing else. I'm updating all now and will report back once I've had a chance to thoroughly test them. Crossing fingers.....
  • dhave 0 Points
    edited December 2010
    post deleted by poster (waste of space!)
  • No love on the iGO 8 R3 maps. Had to go back to stock.