This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Motorola MotoNav TN765T Skin

Comments

• Spyder63 331 Points
    Good Lord, what is an "initialisation" error? My spell checker doesn't know. :lol: Must be Old English. :wink:
  • dhave 0 Points
    That screenshot is déjà vu from Windows 95.
  • Yes, I did edit the posts because I didn't want it reposted on the MFG site. Primo 1.1 is OEM software and running it on the 765 is not consistant with the owners agreement. It was just a test to see how it would perform....actually very good results (I was able to stretch the resolution file to run full screen, but a custom resolution file would be needed to make it look right). So, if Moto decides to drop support...it was a reason to keep my machine for the long run. I'll repost some more results later in that thread.

As for adding internet posted maps...It won't work. Maps are coded to the machine/software that is using it. The people who are using them have modified their software to overlook the licensing required. That's why it's not working with the 765. Again....I'm trying to stay on the right side...still hoping we'll get a map update in Jan.

Also, you don't need your gps to connect to motoextras....copy the contents of one of your backups to a sd. plug it in your usb...it should see it as your gps as connected.
  • dhave 0 Points
    @blueTOOTH and SciFi2010: The work you two have been doing makes it a lot easier for me to hang on to my beloved TN765t rather than send it back in a few more days. Thanks very much.
  • Makes sense. Still love the skin updates. I don't have much hope that moto will post any further updates for this thing. They have no reason to really. Keep us posted on anything new!
  • Spyder63 331 Points

Also, you don't need your gps to connect to motoextras....copy the contents of one of your backups to a sd. plug it in your usb...it should see it as your gps as connected.
    Thanks for the update. Navigon works the same way....I'll give it a try. Good to know. :D
  • If you think about it, the maps would HAVE to be coded to the device, otherwise you would be able to share updates for the same device from person to person. There would be a whole forum of map sharers and that whole market would be toast!

the only thing I could see working would be if someone developed their own map (don't know how...) and decided to release it for free. But since the mapping folks copyright their work, no matter how you slice it, it would not be legal! :shock:
  • I am not 100% sure about any of the below, but this is what I found so far:

It seems to me that the Vehicle Type Error (car is replaced with taxi, emergency, bicycle...) is caused by the navigation software (iGo/Nav'n'Go).

The Vehicle Type is stored permanently when the unit is connected to PC, and it is difficult to change it back when the unit is disconnected.

A sample scenario that causes the error:
    1. Set vehicle type to "Taxi"
    2. Connect to PC (try with and without active route)
    3. After you disconnect from PC, you will have problems changing the vehicle type to "Car". "Taxi" will return after device stand-by or in other circumstances.

How to fix:
    1. Set vehicle type to "Car"
    2. Connect to PC (try with and without active route)

(Perhaps, the Vehicle Type can be saved permanently by turning the device OFF through the function that pops up when the unit is disconnected from external power, but I didn't test it.)

It seems to me that there is a software routine that saves device status. It can be triggered by the software (PC connection) but it is not triggered by the hardware (reset, standby).

S.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Thanks for the update. I will test as soon as I can, but others may get it done before I do.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I am not 100% sure about any of the below, but this is what I found so far:

How to fix:

Solution #1

2. Connect to PC - without an active route.
    3. Disconnect from PC in an orderly fashion.

This solution does not work.
    I created a short route to a Favorite and went into System settings and the vehicle had changed back to "Emergency". The red Vehicle alert showed up on the map page. Stopped the route and went to Settings and the vehicle had changed back to "Car". Set up the same route and vehicle remained set to "Car". Canceled route again. Went to Settings. Vehicle remains as "Car". Set up a new route to Favorite again - different Favorite. Default setting remains as "Car". Left route active. Shut down PND into Sleep mode. Restarted PND after 1 minute. Map screen showed route was being recalculated. Went to Setting and default vehicle was once again set to "Emergency".
    I am not 100% sure about any of the below, but this is what I found so far:

How to fix:

Solution #2

2. Connect to PC - with an active route.
    3. Disconnect from PC in an orderly fashion.

This solution seemed to work.
    After disconnect from PC and 1 minute sleep mode shut down - with a route active.

Went to Settings and default vehicle was still set to "Car". Canceled current route. Checked settings - default vehicle remained "Car". Set up a new route from Favorites. Default settings remained as "Car". Canceled route. Default vehicle remained as "Car". Shut down PND to sleep mode for 1 minute. Checked Settings and default vehicle remains as "Car". Created a new route from different Favorite. Checked Settings - default vehicle remains as "Car". So far, so good. This may be the solution, albeit a temporary one. Time will tell.

I have not changed the default vehicle mode to any other mode to see what happens after Solution #2 was done. Maybe later.

OK - No Joy in Mudville. Had been doing all the above testing on battery power. Shut down PND and reconnected cradle to 12v. Turned power back on in less than one minute. Default vehicle was back to "Emergency". Only solution at this point is to remove the DATA.zip IMHO. Film at Eleven......
    (Perhaps, the Vehicle Type can be saved permanently by turning the device OFF through the function that pops up when the unit is disconnected from external power.)

This does not work.
  • Some more research: I said earlier that ClearChannel might be an option as it is with other NNG products...no such luck with the motonav. There is no code for it in the .exe. So unless there is an update...ha ha we're stuck with Navteq for TMC.
  • My experience:
    I had switched the vehicle type to "Taxi" for testing 2 days ago. I was connecting and disconnecting from PC. After that, every once a while "Taxi" was returning as the Vehicle Type.

In the past, I've problems with "Emergency", "Bicycle" and now "Taxi"... My unit has been restoring the vehicle type that I've been using for testing.

Yesterday, I switched to "Car", connected and disconnected from PC, and I don't have any Vehicle Type related problems since then.

S.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Turned my TN765 "off" (sleep mode) last night, in the cradle and connected to 12v power all night long. Turned it on and default vehicle was "Emergency". At least the red Vehicle alert was on the map screen this time. That alert seems to come and go,

So, IMHO this problem seems to qualify for the status of "Another great mystery of the Universe.: :lol: :lol:

But, in the spirit of "what's around the bend" I have changed my default vehicle to Taxi and will go through the PC connect-disconnect process once again. :cry:

@SciFi - Did this problem emerge after you (I assume you are doing the mods to this skin) changed the wrong vehicle alert to the red text "Vehicle" on the map screen from originally showing the vehicle icons? Is that change a factor?

What file(s) is/are being modified? How do your read the pertinent files?
  • After reading the post, I too tried the "connect to PC" method but to no avail. Once I put the unit in the cradle, used it, then let it shut of, when I restarted I was back to Taxi. *DOH!* :shock:

I'm not really sure what impact this will have on navigation, as I would assume the taxi would want the fastest route as well, but who knows.

Like Spyder said...on of the great mysteries!

(I think the code that is changing this is coming from the grassy knoll...)
  • Spyder63 331 Points

(I think the code that is changing this is coming from the grassy knoll...)

Yeah, that day sure took the fun out of my 18th birthday! :cry:
  • The method to permanently save "Car" as Vehicle Type is:

1. Select "Car" as Vehicle Type

2. Try as many combination as you can: Turn the unit On/Off, have active route, no route

3. Connect to PC.

4. If it doesn't work, return to Step#1, try a different combination.
  • The method to permanently save "Car" as Vehicle Type is:

1. Select "Car" as Vehicle Type

2. Try as many combination as you can: Turn the unit On/Off, have active route, no route

3. Connect to PC.

4. If it doesn't work, return to Step#1, try a different combination.

:lol: :lol:

This is great! Ha!

SciFi Dude, Love ya for the skin! You're Brilliant! ("who's on first??").

I know I'm poking fun, but I really have tried everything I can think of, and it still returns to "Taxi". It just seems to love "Taxi" mode. There's no red indicator when it does, either.

Please don't take me the wrong - I'm not complaining at all. Just giving feedback. As I said, I love the skin! :)
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Permutation Formula

A formula for the number of possible permutations of k objects from a set of n. This is usually written nPk .

Formula:

Life is just too short to tackle this project!!
  • (wait 5-10 seconds between steps)

I. Procedure to check default Vehicle Type

1. Turn off external power.
    2. There will be a pop-up screen asking to continue, pedestrian, or power off.
    3. Enter Pedestrian mode

4. Turn on external power
    5. The GPS unit will restore the default vehicle type (car, taxi, bicycle...)

II. How to set/change Vehicle Type.
    0. Turn ON external power.
    1. Create any route.
    2. Set desired Vehicle Type.
    3. Change Route Method
    4. Change Avoidance.

5. At this point, you can restore Route Method and Avoidance.
    6. Use the above Vehicle Type Check procedure to test the results.
  • SciFi - the skin looks cool. I would like to try it, but none of the links seem to be working. Could someone e-mail it to me (oxygenone @ gmail.com) or post a new link?

Thanks!
  • SciFi - the skin looks cool. I would like to try it, but none of the links seem to be working. Could someone e-mail it to me (oxygenone @ gmail.com) or post a new link?

Thanks!
    Try this:

http://www.echofoxx.com/gps/DATA.zip

And welcome to the forum, 1st time poster! :D
  • Permutation Formula

A formula for the number of possible permutations of k objects from a set of n. This is usually written nPk .

Formula:

Life is just too short to tackle this project!!
    Wow! haven't seen the permutation formula for over 30 years! (and no, I didn't miss it, either! Factorials are such a pain in the a$$! :lol: )

I had to laugh at the solution to the vehicle problem. Kinda like a mobius strip! (ya just keep goin' round and round, and end up back where you started!)

"...I know whatcher thinkin'...'If I had only taken the BLUE pill!' " ...and down the rabbit hole we go!

Thanks!

Try this:

The website's account has been 'suspended' :cry:

Thanks!

Try this:

The website's account has been 'suspended' :cry:
    Drats and double drats! :x Maybe one of those enterprising folks like blueTOOTH will set up another upload link. Someone mentioned teh site where TurboCCC posts his language file mod...maybe that's a thought?

It's unfortunate, but the file is so large that most email clients won't let it through. It's already zipped, so there's not much you can do for emailing that I know of. :cry:

• It's unfortunate, but the file is so large that most email clients won't let it through. It's already zipped, so there's not much you can do for emailing that I know of. :cry:
    Thats easy, all of those file sharing sites that are blocked by this forum can still be emailed :wink:

• It's unfortunate, but the file is so large that most email clients won't let it through. It's already zipped, so there's not much you can do for emailing that I know of. :cry:

Thats easy, all of those file sharing sites that are blocked by this forum can still be emailed :wink:
    I'm not sure what yo mean about being blocked. Though, as a rule, the mods don't normally let us post site links (to link directly from here) people usually code them out and you should be able to copy and paste (after a little modification).

As mentioned, TurboCCC posts non-functioning links (that you copy and past) to his free software for editing voices.

Try taking the posted address and cleaning it up a bit, then pasting it into your browser. Unless I'm missing something, should work? :shock: (Tim, et al, any comment?)
  • Please, copy it to a place with unlimited downloads.

Version 1/5/2011:

1. Current street/address on the main screen
    2. Return to a vehicle icon from 1st version instead of the red vehicle text.
    3. Original software has a problem with saving vehicle type. A small code was added to fix it.
    4. Minor stability/usability improvements

http://rapidshare.com/files/440970044/DATA.zip
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Try taking the posted address and cleaning it up a bit, then pasting it into your browser. Unless I'm missing something, should work? :shock: (Tim, et al, any comment?)
    Generally speaking, just because you figure out a clever way around the blocks doesn't make it okay to do. We block (and will edit) links to file sharing services because the majority of the time they are used here are from people looking to share commercial maps... which is theft and we won't tolerate it here.

If the file is legit, doesn't have any copyright issues, etc then instead of linking out to a file sharing service we'd be happy to host the file here, in most cases. We've got plenty of bandwidth for such things.
  • Try taking the posted address and cleaning it up a bit, then pasting it into your browser. Unless I'm missing something, should work? :shock: (Tim, et al, any comment?)

Generally speaking, just because you figure out a clever way around the blocks doesn't make it okay to do. We block (and will edit) links to file sharing services because the majority of the time they are used here are from people looking to share commercial maps... which is theft and we won't tolerate it here.

If the file is legit, doesn't have any copyright issues, etc then instead of linking out to a file sharing service we'd be happy to host the file here, in most cases. We've got plenty of bandwidth for such things.
    Thanks Tim, for clarifying. I thought the non-linking was for other reasons to do with the site, not just pirating (won't condone that in any way).
  • If Tim is willing to post a skin. Maybe we could create a branding.zip to install the modifications. (this should be legit and allow us to post/host right here) I'll try to make one tonight and see if the .exe will allow it.
  • Tim i swilling to post this skin. All that needs to happen is SciFi Dude needs to contact him and get him the file.

That would sure save a lot of trouble for everyone who's run up against the "download limit exceeded" scenario. I encourage posting it here. This is such a popular site, there will be maximum exposure and maximum accessibility here.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Thanks SciFi for new version. :D :D

1. Current street/address on the main screen
    Could be a nice addition - time will tell. This was a feature early Garmin Street Pilots had and is missed by many.

2. Return to a vehicle icon from 1st version instead of the red vehicle text.

Thanks - I like this version mo bettter.

3. Original software has a problem with saving vehicle type. A small code was added to fix it.

Initial testing seems to bear out your solution. It's fixed!!

4. Minor stability/usability improvements.

Care to tell us in what areas we can look for these improvements? :D

My Wish List: Current Speed on Main map screen. That's it.
  • echofoxx.com/gps/DATA.zip back up and running now. Sorry about that. :)
  • Tim 1480 Points
    echofoxx.com/gps/DATA.zip back up and running now. Sorry about that. :)
    Is that the latest version or the older one?
  • After downloading and installing, I learned the hard way...it's the previous version.

I should have known - file size was identical. I noticed this but thought that maybe it was just a coincidence. (WRONG! :shock: )

I believe Spyder has the latest version. Maybe he can share the link with you.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Gentleman- Unfortunately I can't send or upload it as I am now on the road and all I have is my iPad. If it still can be DL'd it was on the site that shares rapidly. :roll:
  • i have the new version and will upload shortly
  • i have the new version and will upload shortly
    Updated , Now the latest DATA.zip file
  • I don't think it took. The file is 11.6 mb, same as the old one. The latest is 11.9 mb (12189 kb/1024).

Can you try again? (going on a road trip tomorrow and I'd love to test this!)
  • SJ 0 Points
    Thanks to SciFi2010 for making this most excellent software mod available. Impressive!
  • I don't think it took. The file is 11.6 mb, same as the old one. The latest is 11.9 mb (12189 kb/1024).

Can you try again? (going on a road trip tomorrow and I'd love to test this!)
    This is the version I got from the link posted at rapid share site. Is there another location?
    Can someone upload to Ftp.echofoxx.com/gps
    User:gps
    Pass:gps
  • Thanks for trying Brother!
  • The new file comes in as DATA (1) 1/5/2011. I deleted the old file installed the new one in its place and renamed it DATA. The size was 11,904kb
    11.6MB (12,189,410 bytes) . You may have the correct file.

Thanks for the skin SciFi2010. Great Additions ...
  • The new file comes in as DATA (1) 1/5/2011. I deleted the old file installed the new one in its place and renamed it DATA. The size was 11,904kb
    11.6MB (12,189,410 bytes) . You may have the correct file.

Thanks for the skin SciFi2010. Great Additions ...
    I'll give it a shot. When I downloaded it the second time, it came in as the same file. The one I installed didn't change a thing, which is why I thought I had the same file.

Thanks a bunch and Welcome 1st time poster! :D
  • Version 1/7/2011:
    1. Tap the bottom blue bar in the middle to switch between:
    a) Current street address ( C: ),
    b) Next street ( N: ),
    c) Current speed ( S: ),
    d) Blank.

2. Geographic coordinates in the Map Explore mode.
    Unfortunately, there is no way to find a place based on coordinates. This is the best I could get.

3. Originally, coordinates were overlapped by the button on the Dashboard. Now, they are clear and 6 digits after decimal point.

http://rapidshare.com/files/441288847/DATA.zip_version_1-7-2011
    (remove version no from file name)
  • Link no longer exists. I hope someone else will post it?
  • Well, I did a file compare with a nifty little tool that I found here: (it's free)

http://www.prestosoft.com/edp_examdiff.asp#download

(note: you have to go into options and treat the files as text to make it work).

and they are, indeed, quite different. In fact, when I checked further, though the size is listed as 11.6 MB, the size in bytes is quite different. They only show the same in MB format due to rounding. My bad!

I'll try this and report back later with my findings. I'll have a good opportunity to run it through it's paces around noon today.
  • A couple of screen shots (crude - I know, taken with my phone!) showing Current Street on the bottom of the nav screen, just below the vehicle icon:

As mentioned, they're not good shots - sun coming through the windshield really washed them out, but you can clearly see the current street name just below the vehicle icon. Normally, it will include the actual address as well (i.e. 1429 South Main Street), with the house numbers changing as you go. Also note the directional arrow in the bottom shot, clearly indicating physical direction of destination relative to current position.

Haven't tried the Current Speed yet - not as important to me as Current street.

Pretty slick! Nice work, SciFi Dude!

(Keep the updates coming! :D )

• Generally speaking, just because you figure out a clever way around the blocks doesn't make it okay to do. We block (and will edit) links to file sharing services because the majority of the time they are used here are from people looking to share commercial maps... which is theft and we won't tolerate it here.

Tim,
    What does it take to have this site host this file, as you have offered? Right now, the file link is posted, then you or another Admin removes the link. How can we go about having a place on this site for SciFi to host his files so we can all use them?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I've offered to host so long as the original provider of the file (a) says it doesn't contain any copyrighted materials and (b) asks me to host it. So far neither of those have happened.