This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Motorola MotoNav TN765T Skin

Comments

• ... Strange things tend to happen in towns named Roswell. :shock:
    Ha! My thoughts exactly!

Hey RAMRODSR - thanks for posting the link. I've got to drive to Charleston tomorrow, so I can really run her through her paces. I'll report back as soon as wi-fi permits! :wink:
  • Yes on the Data.zip rename it DATA and Rename the one you are using now to what ever the zip was originally, that way you can go back to it when you want something different again. Sorry Guys for the late response. I am not at home. Around 8:00 pm Central here and will not be back home until probably 9:00 pm. or later. Email me and I will send the info for those who might want to poke around the files a bit......and Spyder I will post pics of one I changed that might fit your wants...or needs. I will answer the emails after I return home this evening...

Ramrodsr 8)
  • Let me know what you think.......
    Love the Font size upgrade for the ageing google's lol, the Speed off on its own is also a great idea, it's just too close to the bottom bar in this widescreen format, if you moved the speed all the way to the top right and increased the font to same size as ETA that would look good, while opening up the bottle neck effect at the center of the 765T,
    just my thought, hope you do it lol :wink:
  • dhave 0 Points
    I like RAMRODSR's changes, too. I'll try them for a few days and see how it goes. I'm a little concerned about the slightly decreased vertical screen area smack in the middle of the display. But the prominently placed current speed and enlarged fonts are good changes, so I'll have to field test for a bit.

One way the bottom blue strip could be tidied up some is to omit the date. I don't think that's essential.

Thanks, guys, for the great work on these mods. It really enhances the value of the TN765t.
  • RAMRODSR 41 Points
    edited January 2011
    MORE SKINS

Less information in bottom bar per request.

Blue bar for easy reading.

Light green bar for better map visibility.

Your choice.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BxLFSMPz25ohNzIwMDJlNTMtZTVkMi00NmM5LWI3NDMtZjMwZjU5NmI2OTY0&hl=en&authkey=CNev9v0H

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BxLFSMPz25ohNzI5MzljMDYtOTRlNC00ZjIyLTk2ZTEtZTllYzA0NjE2ZDYy&hl=en&authkey=CJ29_ZoN

Note: Some Addresses may extend beyond the bar..............

SORRY ABOUT THAT THE LINKS SHOULD WORK NOW....
    Ramrodsr 8) :shock: :lol:
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    RamRod - your links are not working for me. Are we missing the authorization codes?

Also, on your two examples I see you have a long, long route calculated. The distances are the same yet the ETAs are a bit different. Is this a difference in routing modes? Also, what exactly is the ETA figure showing?

Edit: Never mind. I see that ETA is arrival time and the difference is due to different "start" times. Is AM/PM being truncated on ETA?
  • dhave 0 Points
    MORE SKINS

Less information in bottom bar per request.

Blue bar for easy reading.

Light green bar for better map visibility.

Your choice.
    Thank you very much, RAMRODSR. I really like the lighter bar at the bottom and the less cluttered text area, too. You and SciFi2010 are my heroes.
  • Hello everyone! HE's BAAAAAAck (not that anyone cares).

Arach (read: Spyder) wrote me asking where i've been. actually i've been busy and since (at the time) this site was slowing down, i just sort of "forgot".

i apologize diffusly!! look at what's happened. Man! the events are just happening and happening.

I've tried to catch up on things but it's overwhelming for an old man like mayself. i have the jist of it though.

guess we don't yet know where "M" is going. hopefully someone will fill the void.

but..........

This guy Sci Fi. Man what a geek! ----GOOD GEEK----. i can't wait for my update to finish. i think i've figured out that the data.zip file, once placed in the MOTONAV folder on the device (not computer if i read it correctly) will open automatically. i d/l'd the 5.? version. hopefully it will load.

it's great to be back and see this activity.

we have the greatest GPS on the market (or did) to date i think.

with affection:

My Camel!!!
  • No install needed. Just place the data.zip as is in the root folder, disconnect and boot up.
  • and i gots me 5 queries

1: how'd these two geniuses KNOW how to do this?
    2: what's the most recent known working verison?
    3: MAKE THE DUMB BLUE TRIANGLE A PORSCHE (or Nova, or Model T or ????)
    4: didn't someone mention the lack of need for the time?
    5: why is the top blue bar so opaque? wouldn't it look better if it looked like your bottom bar-transparent green? why Blue? oh dem engineers.

i've put my most recent one (5.1) on both our devices. now we have matching "things" again. oh, how exciting life is again!

thanks, you smart guys. WE ALL OWE YOU!

My Camel
  • For number 3, I was exploring the files a while back and found that the triangles are .bmp files and vary based on color scheme. Next time I have it hooked up, I can find the exact location of the files. It should just be a matter of replacing the files with new ones of same dimensions and file names.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    edited January 2011
    For number 3, I was exploring the files a while back and found that the triangles are .bmp files and vary based on color scheme. Next time I have it hooked up, I can find the exact location of the files. It should just be a matter of replacing the files with new ones of same dimensions and file names.
    that would be wonderful if you could figure that one out.

Here's what I want

My Camel
  • Also, on your two examples I see you have a long, long route calculated. The distances are the same yet the ETAs are a bit different. Is this a difference in routing modes? Also, what exactly is the ETA figure showing?

Edit: Never mind. I see that ETA is arrival time and the difference is due to different "start" times. Is AM/PM being truncated on ETA?

LOL..... I had a route going to Anchorage Alaska to use for spacing the information within the bar. Same trip used for both photos just taken a couple of hours apart. Estimated Time of Arrival has not been showing AM/PM on any of the DATA Skins that SciFi originally posted. IMHO it just uses up more space and is not needed, especially when using the larger easy to read from a distance font. I like not having to use my reading glasses to see it. Thanks again to SciFi for getting this Ball Rolling. Who knows where this may take us if more users start to Tinker with the files...

Ramrodsr 8)
  • i hve both programmed with 5.1. one keeps the car and the other continues to jump back to taxi. unfortunately it's my wife's. that'll just confuddle her when she trys to go on one of her business trips. it will take her the quickest/shortest way, when she wants to go via an interstate.

anyone have a solution yet?

el dos humper

OH!!! the address idea is a real keeper. i was originally thinking just the road name but the address is really a smart move. exexpexically when you want to know if you're on the west, east, north or souph (southern slang) side of da street. but....but....how do it know odd or even if accuracy is less than the width of the street? real people want to know!!

My Camel
  • i hve both programmed with 5.1. one keeps the car and the other continues to jump back to taxi. unfortunately it's my wife's. that'll just confuddle her when she trys to go on one of her business trips. it will take her the quickest/shortest way, when she wants to go via an interstate.

Do you have backups of your unit? If so try this.

I had the problem with mine. Try going to Motorola Toolbox. I formatted my gps . Wiped the drive clean. Then went to the toolbox and restored the original backup. After that restored the 2 updates and the map update. Follow the instructions after each update it instructs you to disconnect the usb cable to allow a restart. After all updates reload the DATA zip. Mine has not had the problem since.

Ramrodsr
  • @ RAMRODSR
    I would still like to see the Speed in the top right corner just ahead of the battery,signal,bluetooth the same font size as the NI-35 Im a expidited service trucker, and speed is important to me running loads between US and Canada
    I am impressed, and appeciative of yours and SciFi's work please don't stop improving our cool TN765T's
    thanks in advance
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    edited January 2011
    i hve both programmed with 5.1. one keeps the car and the other continues to jump back to taxi. unfortunately it's my wife's. that'll just confuddle her when she trys to go on one of her business trips. it will take her the quickest/shortest way, when she wants to go via an interstate.

Do you have backups of your unit? If so try this.

I had the problem with mine. Try going to Motorola Toolbox. I formatted my gps . Wiped the drive clean. Then went to the toolbox and restored the original backup. After that restored the 2 updates and the map update. Follow the instructions after each update it instructs you to disconnect the usb cable to allow a restart. After all updates reload the DATA zip. Mine has not had the problem since.

Ramrodsr

I got my "taxi" problem solved by simply re-installing the current updates with Motoextras. I also did a couple other things like take the gps out of the cradle and let it shutdown automatically. During the same exercise I also selected each and every type of vehicle and stopped on Car prior to doing the online update. I think I also drank a 12 oz. can of a Coca Cola mixed with 3 oz. of Hershey chocolate syrup while standing on one foot and facing due West at 11:59 pm EST. I don't know which action actually did it, but I did not do any formatting and restoring FWIW.
    :roll: :shock:

On a related point - before I could get MotoExtras to recognize my tethered TN765 I had to put DATA.GRO file back on the gps along with DATA.zip to make it all happen. (And I would not have had this problem had I remembered that chaimav discovered this way back on DEC 30th)
  • @ RAMRODSR
    I would still like to see the Speed in the top right corner just ahead of the battery,signal,bluetooth the same font size as the NI-35 Im a expidited service trucker, and speed is important to me running loads between US and Canada
    I am impressed, and appeciative of yours and SciFi's work please don't stop improving our cool TN765T's
    thanks in advance
    I have actually had the speed in that position on mine before but not in the larger font. I will play with it and see what happens I think it was ok as long as you had the unit full screen, but other items seemed to interfere if you opened up the dashboard screen on the left. The font stacked on top of each other. If that is not a problem it can be done.

Ramrodsr
  • Spyder63 331 Points

LOL..... I had a route going to Anchorage Alaska to use for spacing the information within the bar. Same trip used for both photos just taken a couple of hours apart. Estimated Time of Arrival has not been showing AM/PM on any of the DATA Skins that SciFi originally posted. IMHO it just uses up more space and is not needed, especially when using the larger easy to read from a distance font. I like not having to use my reading glasses to see it. Thanks again to SciFi for getting this Ball Rolling. Who knows where this may take us if more users start to Tinker with the files...

Ramrodsr 8)
    I agree that mo bigger text is better for us old farts. An ETA on a long multi-day trip like going to Anchorage is pretty useless since one does not even know what date you will arrive, but without an AM/PM designator some will be confused if that is an arrival time or number of hours and minutes to the final destination. The AM/PM designator is shown on the Trip Info page for Estimated Arrival so moot problem, but adding it to the main map may be too much to implement and I can understand that.

If I can figure it out I would put the AM/PM as a smaller font so as to take up a little less screen space. As always, IMHO. :)
  • dhave 0 Points
    @RAMRODSR: I'm liking v. 5.1 (lighter colored bottom bar) pretty well. I think that, on top of SciFi's work, you're getting things pretty close to just right, for my tastes, anyway.

I hadn't realized how useful the current speed would be. Thanks for working it out so we could see that at the same time as the current street, which is also very useful.

Since my very fancy car does have a built-in speedometer (sorry to brag), I figured having current speed displayed on my GPS would be redundant. Instead, it makes it so I don't have to divide my time between the road, the GPS and the car's speedometer.

If you go to the trouble, I might like to try a skin with rgoellner's suggestion for current speed placement.

I can live without AM/PM for ETA, although my sense of symmetry wants it there. I figured you had a good reason for omitting it. I *do* like the current time, though, for the same reason as I appreciate the current speed. If I can get all my essential info from my GPS, I can keep my eyes on the road more.

Great work, RAMRODSR and SciFi2010! Why don't you let me transfer a few million into your Swiss bank accounts? Or is our gratitude reward enough ...?
  • For number 3, I was exploring the files a while back and found that the triangles are .bmp files and vary based on color scheme. Next time I have it hooked up, I can find the exact location of the files. It should just be a matter of replacing the files with new ones of same dimensions and file names.

that would be wonderful if you could figure that one out.

Here's what I want

(oops. looks like imbedding an image don't workie, GI!)

My Camel
    The files are located @ \Motonav\CONTENT\CAR\MOTO_CAR.ZIP
    Happy tweaking. Please post results
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    edited January 2011
    Camel - you should have bought a Garmin. Check out all these "vehicles" you could have, not to mention what is in the official Garmin Garage. :shock:
    http://vehiclesforgarminnuvi.com/

That site has a tutorial on placing your own car on your gps. Might be food for thought for the Moto. It is a series of free apps to get it done, but not an easy PhD process.
  • Camel - you should have bought a Garmin. Check out all these "vehicles" you could have, not to mention what is in the official Garmin Garage.
    http://vehiclesforgarminnuvi.com/
    L....M....A....O....
    @ RAMRODSR
    I checked out your latest mod, in the blue bar colour, when in wide screen all is good but when you open the dashboard the blue top bar slides to the right, leaving the road and number in the center, not fond of that, just a note to you sir, love your efforts
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Once you change map colors - from Vibrant, to smooth, to Minimal, not to mention night mode, the bottom bar color changes accordingly. I installed v5.1 with the green lower bar.
  • I just field tested the version with the blue bar, and I can't seem to get the street name to come up on the bottom. It's just a blank blue bar above the bottom bar. I tried a soft reset but no luck. Any ideas?

Note: I'm gonna try the translucent green bar version and see how that works. I'll keep y'all posted.
  • @ ThunderLizard
    just like SciFi's version get rid of the dashboard to open full screen and tap on bottem bar till you see current street, Next and speed are blanks in this version
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    If you are sitting still/stationary it may not show up. Need to get moving. :arrow: On mine the current street comes and goes depending on signal drift. Did that with V4.0 as well, but I am currently using v5.1, but don't think that is a factor.
  • @ ThunderLizard
    just like SciFi's version get rid of the dashboard to open full screen and tap on bottem bar till you see current street, Next and speed are blanks in this version
    Dashboard wasn't an issue, (I leave it closed, as a general rule) but i never thought of the missing Next and speed. I should have tapped! (good call!)

I loaded 5.1 and it seems fine.

(Nice work RAMRODSR).

Now all we need are some vehicle mods (like Camel suggested!) and we'll be all set! Oh, and also a map update, of course... :cry:
  • Camel - you should have bought a Garmin.
    We've had that discussion. we settled on this 765 for a reason.
    And this is what Camel wants.....
    How the .... did you do that?

my camel
  • VERSION (5) AND (5.1)

The screen taps should not be an issue. The one for speed, current street and next street were turned off for Version (5) and (5.1). However the left side tap time and you bring up the screen for the VOLUME LEVEL and tap mileage to destination on the right and you bing up the screen for AVOIDANCES as Implemented by SciFi. AS Spyder stated sometime you have to be moving or on the street for the Current Street to work. Mine does not show up on the screen when I am in my house. Also when you open the dashboard and go to the smaller screen the blue bar slides to the right and the current street slides back to the center of the map screen. I did'nt worry about it I figured most users would use it full screen anyway. It is tough to get things perfect, but look at how many versions we now have to play with. I am working on another one. Thanks to all for the input.

Ramrodsr
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    And this is what Camel wants.....

How the .... did you do that?

my camel

You made the mistake of placing the web site URL inside the tags. You need to get the link location for the image itself. In this case it was http://www.motorator.com/uploads/blog_images/0000/0772/FFR_Hot_Rod_Fenders_1.jpg. One clue is that it ends in ".jpg" So, when you see an image you want to post (and I would suggest that people do not go overboard in posting images) you simply right-click on the image and from the drop down list that appears select "Copy image location". That puts the link on your clipboard. Back here in the forum select the Img tag, paste the link location of the image, select the close tag and it should work.

BTW I am going to go back to the hot rod image and replace the current one with a smaller version. I didn't go far enough down that page on the site to see the other ones.
  • Hey Spyder - did you notice that in the second pic (without the running boards) they moved the headlights down on the grill? (sneaky!)

BTW - when I tested version 5, it was on my way to dinner. I used map mode and nav mode - no street name. 5.1 seems fine. Must have been some sort of glitch. No problem, 5.1 will do for me. :)
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Can't think of any explanation for your plight. Ever since SciFi implemented that feature it has worked for me. As I sit here in the house the drift is currently showing me my address, although it is not my address due to incorrect map data. I have 10 year old Garmins that had that feature and I always liked it for what it was. I would think a Pizza Hut delivery person would really like it although as we all know it is almost never totally accurate.

As for hot rod - esthetically the headlights move was good. I keep telling myself to just go buy a Tupperware car kit and just get rid of all my old classics. One of these days. :roll:
  • thanks for the note, Arac. i guess i dint cut and paste the entire link. put it in my original post and it worked fine. appreciate it. silly me!

i reduced the jpg and turned it 90 degrees. i put it in the zip folder on the 765 but it didn't like it. i still have a triangle. am i missing something?

any thunks?

i'll take one of your classics. cant afford my own. you can put your business info on the side and i'll drive it around Atlanta. good advertising and i get to drive my classic.

another cute icon might be a motorcycle in lieu of the stupid, crappy, undesireable triangle. oh, did i mention i don't like the triangle?

has anyone tried to figure out how to make the voices speak street names. i think Samantha is gay (albeit she has a southern twang). i'd prefer one of the guys (no comments please), since my lower frequency hearing is now better than my highs. at my age i guess i am lucky to be able to hear though.

My Camel (a 2 hump kinda guy)
  • thanks for the note, Arac. i guess i dint cut and paste the entire link. put it in my original post and it worked fine. appreciate it. silly me!

i reduced the jpg and turned it 90 degrees. i put it in the zip folder on the 765 but it didn't like it. i still have a triangle. am i missing something?

any thunks?

I have not tried it yet, but here is what I assume you will need to do.
    -change the resolution to match the triangle
    -Change the .jpg to bitmap (.bmp) with your favorite image editor (the standard paint software that comes with windows can do this)
    -change the filename to match the one of the triangle and replace the file (i recomend saving a backup)
  • ahhhhhhhhhhh. maybe i forgot to change to bmp. it was 2 am and i was half awake (pessimist??).

i'll look. btw i did change the size. it's 85x115 pixels i think.

thanks!!

My Camel
  • i lied. i had converted to bmp.
    i redid it and same result. no car, just the stupid triangle.
    i tried reloading the upgrade files and no satisfaction.

so back to square 1 -- oops -- triange 1

My (stupid) Camel
  • Sorry to jump on the band wagon so late, but I just got one of these. I'm so frustrated that it doesn't show the current street I'm as I really need to know all the time. I don't care about upcoming streets... (Who at moto thought this was good and why couldn't they have allowed for the current street, like all the other gps companies??)

Anyway, I tried the version 7 skin, or whichever was the latest on echofoxx's site. But once I've loaded the data.zip file, my gps won't boot up. It loads about 80% on the load bar, then just keeps resetting.

I'm on a iMac Intel dual core. Does that make a difference. When I eject the gps from my computer, it tells me it can't recognize the drive I'm trying to load, even though I already placed the data.zip onto the device. And of course, Motorola says they don't support Apple. Thanks, Moto! We Mac people are people too.

You all are effing geniuses for creating this stuff and I really want to get this skin loaded and running. Can anyone help?
  • dhobi 0 Points
    Hey Guys

just joined. I downloaded latest from SCFI and from RMD..(5.1) but 5.1 seems like win RAR file have to unzip but SCFI file justlike original DATA.GRO file any help...
  • I've tried changing the arrow. The "arrow" file is located motonav/content/car. You will see two zip folders "moto_car" and "moto_ped" If you extract you will see the model files (3d). I've tried adding primo 3d car info, but no success yet. Once we do get it working...we should be able to add a car changer to the skin.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    edited January 2011
    ahhhhhhhhhhh. maybe i forgot to change to bmp. it was 2 am and i was half awake (pessimist??).

i'll look. btw i did change the size. it's 85x115 pixels i think.

thanks!!

My Camel
    EDIT: I should have paid more attention to Blutooth's post. He is on the right track so disregard most of my thoughts...... :oops:

And where are you placing this new "vehicle"? If you are running one of the skins I would think it needs to go in the proper place/file, re-saved, re-zipped. Also there are different color vehicle bmp files and possibly even same image in different locations and they all have to match?????
    As I said in my earlier post the Garmin method on the referenced vehicle site is quite drawn out and somewhat complicated. Maybe go download the VfGn101.zip and read the pdf instructions. Not that this method will work with the Moto, but may give you some direction.
  • i've tried to no avail. 'course i don't know what i'm doing so..........

One of you smart guys out there figure it out. that's what you're being paid for!

My Camel
  • after all this, my direction is to the bottle (single malt, please).

My Hiccup Camel
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    And I suppose your "check is in the mail"?? :roll: :roll:
  • and you would question? my reputation is.................hmmmmmm.......

My poor Camel
  • Hey Mr. jbizzle. wish i could help but i can't help myself let alone a Mac'er from LA. I respect you because you have 2 strikes against you going in to this :lol: 1=Mac 2=LA

My (ex Anaheimanian and ex mac user) Camel
  • Hey Mr. jbizzle. wish i could help but i can't help myself let alone a Mac'er from LA. I respect you because you have 2 strikes against you going in to this :lol: 1=Mac 2=LA

My (ex Anaheimanian and ex mac user) Camel
    HA! I will always be a mac guy, but I do hate LA! Just a nasty old dirty place...

Planning on moving either to the northwest or upper east coast in a few years, can't stand the LA smell!
  • Thanks, Moto! We Mac people are people too
    Acually no! mac user's are not considered poeple too lol
  • Thanks, Moto! We Mac people are people too

Acually no! mac user's are not considered poeple too lol
    coming from the Canadian.... :shock: :D j/k, Canadians are people, too...
  • Sorry to jump on the band wagon so late, but I just got one of these. I'm so frustrated that it doesn't show the current street I'm as I really need to know all the time. I don't care about upcoming streets... (Who at moto thought this was good and why couldn't they have allowed for the current street, like all the other gps companies??)

Anyway, I tried the version 7 skin, or whichever was the latest on echofoxx's site. But once I've loaded the data.zip file, my gps won't boot up. It loads about 80% on the load bar, then just keeps resetting.

I'm on a iMac Intel dual core. Does that make a difference. When I eject the gps from my computer, it tells me it can't recognize the drive I'm trying to load, even though I already placed the data.zip onto the device. And of course, Motorola says they don't support Apple. Thanks, Moto! We Mac people are people too.

You all are effing geniuses for creating this stuff and I really want to get this skin loaded and running. Can anyone help?
    First, Welcome to the forum!

On the plight with the Mac, I too had a reboot issue on one of the skin-loads. I ended up deleting the file, and reloading it and that took care of it for me (though I was on a Windows XP Pro PC, not a Mac). Be sure you place the file in the Motonav folder and not one of the sub-folders. Also, there's no need to delete the Data.GRO file - it just gets overwritten at boot (I believe).

Finally, you may want to check the web for compatibility issues with USB protocol and the Mac (not sure about this one) and maybe a patch or an emulator that will give you full Windows-type USB support. Besides that, once you attach the device, you can actually defrag the thing, and this has improved performance for me (i.e. faster boot, no lockups, faster search). I know it's flash memory, but hey, less pointers to fragments equals more stability and better speed in my book!

Here's a link to a site with a free program that works on Windows, but again, not sure about the Mac.

Good luck and keep us posted! And, again, Welcome aboard.