This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Motorola MotoNav TN765T Skin

Comments

• Hey Guys

just joined. I downloaded latest from SCFI and from RMD..(5.1) but 5.1 seems like win RAR file have to unzip but SCFI file justlike original DATA.GRO file any help...
    Welcome to the Forum! (Dhobi? like from Harry Potter?? :D )

To answer your question, you don't need to unzip the file. Just rename it to "data" and leave the extension as is. Then replace the same file (data) that's in your Motonav folder on your device. Be sure to back up the old file and save it somewhere in case you want the device back the way it was! (dataold, etc.).

Be sure to put the zip file in the Motonav folder, no higher, no lower. Also, no need to mess with the Data.gro file, as it seems to be overwritten based upon the Data.zip file at boot.

Finally, be sure to software "eject" the device (click on the notification area, then click on the USB icon, then select "eject") and allow it to reboot.

That should do it for you!

Welcome aboard!
  • Well, still in Charleston (heading out after finishing my scone at Panera :wink: ) and having used 5.1 all day, I'm really liking it. Current street is clear (great job on the font, RAMRODSR) and I love the ETA and "Distance to" on the bottom.

I know there are some that like a less "populated" screen, but not me. Give me all the pertinent info I need at a glance and I'm happy! And actually, I really don't need the route profile, (since I never change it) so if that would free up some space on the bottom, feel free to remove!

Regardless, I know RAMRODSR is working on another skin as we speak (I think he's really Geeking out on this...which I'm diggin'! Ha!) so I'll be looking forward to what that reveals! Also, if anyone is successful with the vehicle icon,that would be fun!

I'm pretty excited about the life that all this modding has breathed into this device, as noted by just the posting activity! Now, all we need is a map update. I believe that's coming and I believe it will be from the NaviExtras folks.... 8) (I've nothing to back that up besides MHO!).
  • Humble? nope. don't think so. none of us are!! :roll:

i also like it. got to make a trip tomorrow but unfortunately i must ride with someone else.

i think 5.1 is a wonderful skin. it appears to be clean-with the excetion of the switching from car to taxi or bicycle or something else. now that my wife is back for the day, i need to check her unit to see if it's back to normal or do i need to do something to set it.

otherwise "Mikey Likes it!"

My (Mikey) Camel

WELL!! seems to be back to the stupid triange. who woulda known! :?
  • WELL!! seems to be back to the stupid triange. who woulda known! :?
    Hey the triangle is 3D after all, and a much better shape than say a box, circle,hexagon,paralellagram etc...... lol
  • gawd. all you positive thinkers. of course it's 3d that's what the engineers made. but why didn't they make a car? because they're lazy. they were told to make an icon. so they did. stupid, stupid stupid.

make me a car. make it a porche or a model t but make it a car for gawd's sake-or my sake

My car Camel
  • This is what I came up with after suggestions of wants and needs.
    Lost the bar for more Map space and shadowed the fonts for better visibility. added AM/PM for ETA TIME --Altitude--Latitude and Longitude Larger Speedo at Top bar Kept the warning icons for Travel Modes --Tap Time for Volume Levels --Tap Distance to Destination for Avoidances. Thanks again to SciFi for starting this mess and all others for input.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BxLFSMPz25ohOWFmMDI0OWYtMDIzYy00OWUxLWJjNDEtYWM0N2NjMzhjZTZl&hl=en&authkey=CMrB5L4J

Enjoy, Let me know what you think.

Ramrodsr :D 8) :lol:
  • dhave 0 Points
    edited January 2011
    Really nice release, RAMRODSR. You're hitting the right form/function balance, I'd say. In fact, I like *everything* the way you've set it up, with the possible exception of maybe wanting to turn off Lat-Long coordinates. (I know ... nag, nag, nag.)

Now, here's a possibly related question: After this last skin-mod installation (DATA.zip v. 6 from RAMRODSR), the Motoextras Toolbox thinks I need a BT/OS and SW update. The SW update is to v. 8.5.4.139160.

When I disconnected from Toolbox, I checked my "About" info and found that I already have 8.5.5.139160 (and OS v. 5.11.00).

Do I let Toolbox do what it wants to do? Will it zap RAMRODSR's Data.zip (v. 6) that I just installed? Will it send my coordinates to Al Qaeda?

Has anybody else experienced this, or is this just a local fluke?

Thanks.

Edit: I see that the version difference (8.5.5.139160 vs. 8.5.4.139160; an apparent typo?) is discussed elsewhere on this forum. Still, I'm wondering if I should let Toolbox go ahead and do its thing just so it won't nag me. What do you guys think? Thanks.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I agree that RAMRODSR has done an excellent job with V6.0. I won't be able to use it in the real world, for a couple days as the snow has started falling in earnest here.

Right up front though I find the LAT/LONG first a distraction (color is doing that), but I also have never had a need to know my coordinates while I was rolling down the highway and it will be constantly changing adding to the distraction factor - IMHO. (Feel like I am tip toeing on eggs here and certainly don't want to offend). We can always get coordinates a couple different ways with the Moto: on the Dashboard view for current location and in the Explore Map mode for any point on the map you choose.

One other issue I see is that the ETA time is going to show 12:00 AM constantly if one is not routing to a location. Can that be set to disappear when not routing?

Also - have you explored what might be done with the font color when one is using either Smooth or Minimal screen settings? Maybe slight adjustment of same white color making it a little darker for each mode so it stands out a little better for weaker eyes.

Isn't constructive criticism wonderful? :roll: :roll: :) "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving." or "Having the critics praise you is like having the hangman say you've got a pretty neck." :lol: :lol:

Keep up the good works Steve.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    edited January 2011
    but if you set it for 24 hours it will always be zeros (00:00) with a colon inbetween but in 24 hr time you don't use the colon (:).

i have to agree with the spyder man 100% all those things i also noticed.

also noticed that when the left split is up the height is a bit chopped off.
    additionally....what if the lat/lon were on the left side so that when the slide screen is active it covers up the lat/lon and when slide is not up, it's displayed. but again, he's right in that it can be a bit distracting-especially in red--like a warning.

My open eyes Camel
  • Spyder63 331 Points

Now, here's a possibly related question: After this last skin-mod installation (DATA.zip v. 6 from RAMRODSR), the Motoextras Toolbox thinks I need a BT/OS and SW update. The SW update is to v. 8.5.4.139160.

When I disconnected from Toolbox, I checked my "About" info and found that I already have 8.5.5.139160 (and OS v. 5.11.00).

Do I let Toolbox do what it wants to do? Will it zap RAMRODSR's Data.zip (v. 6) that I just installed? Will it send my coordinates to Al Qaeda?

Has anybody else experienced this, or is this just a local fluke.

Thanks.
    Have not tried to connect to Toolbox since installing V6, but you have just discovered another piece of Moto sloppiness. The disparity of the update version being v. 8.5.4.139160 and after doing the update you find that your PND version is v. 8.5.5.139160. Happens to all of us, I think.

Re-installing should not hurt anything - just have a decent/recent backup restore point. Doing that seemed to fix my vehicle chameleon problem.
  • my taxi/bike/ped came back but i just change them several times, left them in the car mode, plugged in and unplugged and it seems to have disappeared.

my (HUH?) camel
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    but if you set it for 24 hours it will always be zeros (00:00) with a colon inbetween but in 24 hr time you don't use the colon (:).

i have to agree with the spyder man 100% all those things i also noticed.

My open eyes Camel
    Well, heck, why don't we just ask for UTC time. Now, if RAMROD could give us the Maidenhead Grid Location coordinates in the upper R/H corner we could be the hit of the magic band for all the grid chasers. :twisted:
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    my taxi/bike/ped came back but i just change them several times, left them in the car mode, plugged in and unplugged and it seems to have disappeared.

my (HUH?) camel

Blind hogs and acorns, Camel. :wink:
  • dhobi 0 Points
    Got it...
    Thanks Thunder for your help...
    I installed v6 works fine but connecting to toolbox it seems work w/o showing
    any remain update of course i can see installed updates....and don't having any issue for Car/taxi.....
  • WHERE'S MY CAR ICON?? :shock: :(

My car Camel
  • Hello guys, Seems like you have so many Skins you don't whether to spit or $#!+...LOL It takes some time to add the script and correct numbers to have the things in the place and spaced out for the things that are happening on the screen. However, once they are in place the colors can be changed and just turning certain items off are simple if you know which lines they are. So I gave you something to play with and if you need something turned off or a bar of color at the bottom or font colors changed. Don't be afraid to play with it. or ask me about it. Just keep an extra DATA.zip stored on your computer.Also you can go back and forth with several different Skins until you find the one you really like. I know I sent some information about which files to open in some emails. If you want to know more just let me know. If the coordinates need to be turned off not a problem or colors changed. and when a line is turned off it has ;sf in front of the line. I hope this helps. Let the fun begin.

Ramrodsr 8) :lol:
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Down, Camel! Rome wasn't built in a day!
  • LOL I think that a record might be broken before long for the amount of post on this forum in a short time .I am going to release another version of the Skin that will omit the red coordinates at the top for those who don't want it .. you know, some want more, some want less, so her I sit in a pile of mess.....LOL I Personally like it without the coordinates also. From the main screen just hold your finger on the screen and the current address and coordinates will appear at the top left of the screen. SciFi set that in motion I believe. My internet is slow tonight the file should be uploaded shortly and I will post it. DATA(6.1)

Ramrod 8)
  • now that's cool. good ideas.

gosh i really like this group. youre all friendly and----and-----and-----nice.

My Happy Camel
  • Italians are inefficient.
  • works like a dream. thanks ram-rod-Sr. you're a very capable guy!

is the altitude a fixed or floating position? i can't tell indoors and it is too cold to go out to get a more accurate position. i know it started out as 0ft, then switchd to 800 something with the last 0 at the right edge of the screen.

but no matter what, it's a work of art thanks to you and that scifi lover.

My other one shifted one character to the left and showed 1076 with 1/2 of the 6 showing.

NOw if it could shut off the ETA unless it's in trip mode. That'd be cool!

(ask for the moon and get a metorite)

My (Happy) Camel

My (content) Camel.
  • dhave 0 Points
    Version 6.1 is the bee's knees, Ramrod. Thank you. I'd like to buy you a drink, but, instead, I raise a toast to you (and SciFi, too).
  • Thanks for all of your hard work. Is it possible to post a mini tutorial on modding skins. I recommend starting a new thread for the how-to.
  • dhave 0 Points
    Now, if one of you guys can just change the voice (which actually is pretty good as is) to that of some doll who has a breathy way of talking (young Lauren Bacall, Scarlett Johansson), and have her say things like "You're 'da man, Baby" and "Pull over and let's hop in the back" and "Wanna know my coordinates, Big Boy?" when there are no turns or via points for 60 seconds, we'll have the perfect GPS. For fellows, anyway.
  • dhave 0 Points

Thanks for all of your hard work. Is it possible to post a mini tutorial on modding skins. I recommend starting a new thread for the how-to.
    +1
  • Now, if one of you guys can just change the voice (which actually is pretty good as is) to that of some doll who has a breathy way of talking (young Lauren Bacall, Scarlett Johansson), and have her say things like "You're 'da man, Baby" and "Pull over and let's hop in the back" and "Wanna know my coordinates, Big Boy?" when there are no turns or via points for 60 seconds, we'll have the perfect GPS. For fellows, anyway.
    That would probably be to hazardous for the driver. So we better leave it as is.

Ramrod
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Now, if one of you guys can just change the voice (which actually is pretty good as is) to that of some doll who has a breathy way of talking (young Lauren Bacall, Scarlett Johansson), and have her say things like "You're 'da man, Baby" and "Pull over and let's hop in the back" and "Wanna know my coordinates, Big Boy?" when there are no turns or via points for 60 seconds, we'll have the perfect GPS. For fellows, anyway.

Get TurboCCC's. TTS Voice Editor......Oh, wait! Only works with those darn Garmins! :roll: :lol:
  • dhave 0 Points

That would probably be to hazardous for the driver. So we better leave it as is.

Ramrod
    As an option for the ladies, you could just have it say things like "Um, hm" and "That's right" and "I know just what you mean" -- just little fillers so the (female) driver could chat away and feel like she's got somebody to talk to. This would be appropriate for solo females or for a woman traveling with a husband to whom she's been married for more than, say, two years. He could zone out; she could happily converse.
  • Well, heck, why don't we just ask for UTC time. Now, if RAMROD could give us the Maidenhead Grid Location coordinates in the upper R/H corner we could be the hit of the magic band for all the grid chasers.
    i haven't seen a maidenhead for 49 years at age 18. once i hit that, they were all used.

My (one hump) Camel
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    This is NOT good!

I just installed RR v6.1. Did not do anything differently than previous versions and when the Moto booted I heard the startup sound, which I had turned off and had stayed off in all previous versions.

I then quickly realized that the Moto was booting into "brand new out of the box" mode and it essentially did a Master Reset. That is the last thing I wanted to happen. I lost all my Favorites and Trip Planner routes.

Crap!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

EDIT: Removed DATA (6.1) back to original DATA.gro and no change. Master Reset is permanent.

Talk about a Bad Day at Black Rock!

EDIT (2): Also got all the standard warnings that my maps were over 1 year old, my MotoExtras trial subscription had expired, my SpeedCam subscription had expired, and the IRS was calling me in for an Audit!!

Fortunately it appears my 1 year extension of MotoExtras purchase is still valid although I have not gone through the process of pairing my cell phone as yet. Oh, also lost all my favorite Weather cities.

So, has this happened to anyone else or RR do you have any thoughts on why this may have happened? I am now going to reinstall v6.1 and see what happens before I start to rebuild my Moto stuff.

EDIT (3): Reinstalled v6.1 and this time it went in without any problem. No master reset. Boy, it sucks to be me! :roll: I'm gonna go fire up the snow blower and work off some of this frustration. :lol:
  • sussamb 800 Points
    Too late now I guess :( but I always do a back up prior to an update. Hope the snow blower helps :)
  • geezy whiz arach. sorry to hear it. i have never seen that, prior to or as of now.

sounds like your web is colapsing around you.

wish i could do soemthing for your.

i'm leaving for a day of meetings with a bunch of idiots so my bottle will await me upon my return this evening.

i hope you can ressurect your history.

good silking!

My Camel
  • dhave 0 Points
    This is NOT good!

I just installed RR v6.1. Did not do anything differently than previous versions and when the Moto booted I heard the startup sound, which I had turned off and had stayed off in all previous versions.

I then quickly realized that the Moto was booting into "brand new out of the box" mode and it essentially did a Master Reset. That is the last thing I wanted to happen. I lost all my Favorites and Trip Planner routes.

When I installed RR v. 6.1, I didn't get a master reset, but I did have to reinstall OS and map updates, just as I did when I first powered up the device after purchase. Strangely, the About screen showed that the system and maps were already updated, but Toolbox still wanted me to update. I did the update with no apparent ill effects.

The only thing I possibly did differently when I installed RR v. 6.1 is that I renamed the DATA(6.1).zip to DATA.zip *after* moving it to the device from my computer's hard drive. With other mod-skin installations, I had done the file renaming prior to copying the DATA.zip file over to the device, and just let it overwrite the existing DATA.zip. I don't see how that could have changed things, but it's the only thing I can think of that was different, other than the actual content of the reworked DATA.zip.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I have been doing it the way you have mostly. I rename the zipped file while still on my HD then move it to my Moto, but I have done that a couple different ways so not sure if that (different ways) was a factor, but I don't think so. In some instances I deleted the DATA.zip from the Moto before copying the new version over and at least one other time I simply let the new version replace the old version. I also have been keeping DATA.GRO on the Moto as it was not behaving badly and MotoExtras would not recognize the 765 if it was not there. I am thinking just creating a "dummy" text file named DATA.GRO would suffice if the Moto is looking for it for any reason.

Oh well, it's not IF you will lose data, it's WHEN.

Silly me thought I had a backup more current than last JUL 26. Maybe I will keep looking.
  • Sorry to hear about the Reset Spyder. I had mine do a reset a couple of weeks ago but it had nothing to do with the DATA.zip . At the time I was working with MioPocket I had been playing around with it. I actually got it to boot up and work with the TN765T for a while. On starting you would go to a screen asking which program to run. I tried it with each and thought It was cool each one booted and seemed to work fine then after a couple of hours playing with it in MioPocket looking at different programs and changing the Miopocket Skins. turned it off the next day went to turn it on and every thing went down hill would not open either program. hooked it to the computer and all of the files for the Motonav had been renamed and everything looked like symbols. At that time nothing else to do but restore. Tried that and did not work well had an error, that is when I formatted the drive on the Motonav and started over with a clean slate. Instead of just doing the most recent backup I started with the very first as the unit was fresh out of the box, then installed the two updates and the map. I have no idea why you experienced the problem with the DATA.zip. I delete the old zip from mine each time before installing. Instead of copying over the old one. Sorry again I hope no one else has had this problem. Strange events seem to happen at times for no apparent reason.

Ramrod :(
  • Hey RAMRODSR~

Don't know if you're aware of this, but though you have successfully removed the coordinates, it appears that you left the lone directional arrow and red compass heading sitting all by itself in the upper right quadrant! :shock:

Not sure if that was your intent (as opposed to putting the heading arrow on the top or bottom bar) but I wanted to let you know. I love the font and teh speed in the top bar! Keep the improvements coming! :wink:
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Sorry to hear about the Reset Spyder. SNIP Sorry again I hope no one else has had this problem. Strange events seem to happen at times for no apparent reason.

Ramrod :(
    In my old age I've come to accept these "Great Mysteries of the Universe". Life will go on. :?
  • Hey RAMRODSR~

Don't know if you're aware of this, but though you have successfully removed the coordinates, it appears that you left the lone directional arrow and red compass heading sitting all by itself in the upper right quadrant! :shock:

Not sure if that was your intent (as opposed to putting the heading arrow on the top or bottom bar) but I wanted to let you know. I love the font and teh speed in the top bar! Keep the improvements coming! :wink:
    Yes, I left it there intentionally. In the bottom I had it centered and when I got rid of the colored bar it was sitting right in the middle of the white road making it very hard to see as it is so small. Now it is centered below the speed. If too many things are moved to the top bar information diplayed on the left side such as (North market St. FM 377 I 45) may overlap the speed. Some streets with extremely long names may do this anyway. So far I have not had this happen. If so get off the Street with the long name and problem will be solved. LOL

Ramrod
    :wink: :wink:
  • Things such as what happened to you Spyder give us the opportunity to exercise our brain. Just have to be glad your brain didn't do the Master Reset.

Ramrod :lol:
  • Hey RAMRODSR~

Yes, I left it there intentionally. In the bottom I had it centered and when I got rid of the colored bar it was sitting right in the middle of the white road making it very hard to see as it is so small. Now it is centered below the speed. If too many things are moved to the top bar information diplayed on the left side such as (North market St. FM 377 I 45) may overlap the speed. Some streets with extremely long names may do this anyway. So far I have not had this happen. If so get off the Street with the long name and problem will be solved. LOL

Ramrod
    10-4...and it works great, so no complaints here! :P
  • dhave 0 Points
    If too many things are moved to the top bar information diplayed on the left side such as (North market St. FM 377 I 45) may overlap the speed. Some streets with extremely long names may do this anyway. So far I have not had this happen. If so get off the Street with the long name and problem will be solved. LOL

Ramrod
    I really like the 6.1 layout, RR. You're right about the current speed getting overlapped by next street. When I was on the Internet just now, that happened, since the device displays an Interstate exit number along with the highway name and number. But I can live with that.

I thought about maybe asking if you could put the speed just above the zoom - and + buttons, but that's where the mute symbol shows up.

How about at the bottom right next to where the speed limit shows up (which is admittedly very rare)? I would gladly sacrifice elevation, then miles-remaining could be moved to where elevation is presently. I imagine the speed would disappear when the left panel is open, but maybe that's not a dealbreaker.

A lot of variables to consider!

Hey, thanks again. This is great work you and SciFi have done and are continuing to do.
  • Just as I thought. If you do have a really long Street Address it will cover the speedo. I can move the speed just below the bar and solve the problem. let me know your thoughts. Ooops I posted this after doing some testing today, before reading your post Dhave. The mute button could be moved back to the top and put the speed there and slide it far right. Going to the small screen it would cover it but then you can access the speed on the Dashboard from that screen. I had moved the mute button and locked the other icons battery / blue tooth from interfering with the speedo. That can be changed. remember how they moved?

Ramrod 8)
  • dhave 0 Points
    The mute button could be moved back to the top and put the speed there and slide it far right.
    That sounds like a good compromise.
    Going to the small screen it would cover it but then you can access the speed on the Dashboard from that screen.
    Right. I agree. Also, my guess is most people just open the left panel for brief periods, right?
  • The mute button could be moved back to the top and put the speed there and slide it far right.

That sounds like a good compromise.

Going to the small screen it would cover it but then you can access the speed on the Dashboard from that screen.

Right. I agree. Also, my guess is most people just open the left panel for brief periods, right?
    That is what I do. I will not be at home tonight until late so I will work on that later.
  • dhave 0 Points
    That is what I do. I will not be at home tonight until late so I will work on that later.
    I hope you're not letting your social life interfere with your mod-skin work for your gpsreview forum buddies. Beautiful women come and go, but it's not every day you find guys like the ones around here (unless you hang out at bus stations, homeless shelters, and public libraries, that is). :lol:
  • put a fork in the social stuff. skins are more important (read: what skins?)

i'm not sure people are concerned with continuous update of altitude on the main screen (I for one). and if it went away it would format that lower area well.

but i do like the time and eta side by side. it makes the time to destination easy-not just the ETA.

anyway. thank you---Thank you.

oh, and BTW where's my car in place of hte stupid triagle (te martuni's later)?

My (suffering) Camel
  • dhave 0 Points
    About the car icon: I figure I can either wait for Motorola to offer a selection of cartoon cars, the way Garmin does, or I can just go out and buy a blue, triangular automobile that sort of waggles from side to side a lot.
  • rgoellner 0 Points
    edited January 2011
    @ RAMRODSR,
    yes that is where i would of liked the Speed right from the get go, the font of the actual speed is a great size, but I think the K/ph, M/ph could be half the size of the number font or less, be it Canada :D or the US :roll: we know if were using kilometers, or miles, a blue box behind it would tie it into the top bar nicely and if it could stay locked, as the + and - do when the Dashboard is extended, then we would have it just right lol, I bought this GPS because I could have a standard 4:3 map view and still have room for the trip info, aerial view, etc....
    I don't need the foolish microscopic arrow (need a magnifying glass to see) wasting space on the map when I have a compass in the dashboard. just my thoughts and wishes RAMRODSR sir,
    again thankyou for the time and effort
  • This DATA(6.1).zip has the red coordinates removed.
    In 5 or :shock: 10 years when version (6.00000597521.07) is released I think we'll get it just right :lol: lol, hey thats half the time it took Bill Gates to get to Windows 7 :wink: Then the Camel will only need to wait for another few updates for the car/triangle improvments lol