This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Motorola MotoNav TN765T Skin

Comments

• I think Camel is trying to get some new bmp files to work and they are the extra ones we are seeing. Pretty sure he has "old" Moto as well so should only have the two zipped files, like I do.
    well, i'm sure as heck glad you know what i'm doing. i'm deathly afraid i'll foul (read: ....) something up royally.

My .... .. Camel
  • i love how the 765 tells me when it's searching for GPS satellites. as if at times, it would search for Laser emitting satellites.

My (ex Army Security Agency) Camel

• RAMRODSR~ I noted that when I added 6.2, it changed my triangle from blue to gray. Is that a glitch with me, or is that intentional?

Pretty sure RR has not released an "official" RR v6.2 as yet unless I missed a link to a new download zip, so maybe we should not refer to the adjustments as 6.2....just yet?

I was not planning on posting any individual file modifications that members are doing on their own since they are personal preferences to the original skin(s). If/when somebody comes up with something entirely new or different the Sticky will be SciFi's and RAMRODSR version only. Any other thoughts on how to keep track of personal mods?
    Ya know, I'm trying to remember where I got the notion to download the latest! :shock:

I've been laid up sick as a dog the last two days, so who knows - maybe it was a fit of dillerium! :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, I REALLY did download a 6.2. Not sure if it was legit, but it was out there on a RAMRODSR link... :shock: ...and the car is now gray (booooooooringggggg!) :roll:
  • @Ramrod Thanks again!

Did it work?
    It did work. Apparently I have to work with the files directly from the zip rather than unzipping it. Looks like I may have to go through and manually convert all the resolution parameters by hand. Im sure there is a better way but I am not a programmer.
  • This is the way my directories look.

Open Motonav

Open Content

Open Car

Open Moto_Car

This is what mine had and where I did the changes to install the spaceship. The .bmp files you have are for 2D and the .mdl files are for the 3D.

This says .spr files are for 2D but I found the .bmp files worked. However if you make any changes to the file in paint ,corel, whatever & reinstall you will not have a symbol. It disappears, this tells me the file is going to be in another directory or several others it would have to be copied to.

I hope this helps

Ramrod 8)
  • Well, Lizzie, we all hope you get well soon!

My (not sick-physically) Camel
  • RAMRODSR 41 Points
    edited January 2011
    Also the ghost files are used when the gps is searching for satellites. Switches to the other filles when locked on signal I believe.

Has anyone else had their triangle go gray in color, the way ThunderLizard described?

Ramrod. :?
  • @ ThunderLizard, are your files set up as mine are? I just reinstalled the 6.2 version on mine. I had the gray triangle while searching for satellites. When locked on mine went to the spaceship. I am assuming and (you know what that means) if I change my car file back to the one named motocar_orig.mdl take out the orig leaving it motocar.mdl and rename the one as this now back to spaceship, iwill get the blue triangle again.

I wonder if I were to send out a zip with mine loaded with the spaceship if it would affect others? The files I changed were not in the zip. They were accessed through motonav/content/car/moto_car. HMMMMMMM......

Ramrod
  • I've been lurking this thread and enjoying (and appreciating) the UI tweaks to our 765's.

This might be a silly contribution, but WTH...
    I have a theory as to why there is some confusion to use .zip or not on the data.zip file.

In Winders, there is a view option to where you can hide the extension of known file types... such as .zip's. So, if you have that view setting enabled, the data file will have the zip icon next to the name and hides the .zip extension. If you add .zip in that scenario, you are really making the file name to be DATA.zip.zip. Of course, our Motonav doesn't know to look for that file name and ignores it.

Just a thought....

And, thanks again to those for making the time to tweak the UI and then share them with us!

-Dave
  • Hi all,

I just ordered one of these and hope to have it by the end of the week. I look forward to sharing your pain/pleasure. Switching from a Navigon 2100Max and all of it's shortcomings I'm guessing this should be an improvement, If not, I couldn't go wrong for the price!!

I just wanted to say these posted mods are nice and its good that someone took the initiative to improve where Moto has failed. TTYS
  • I've been lurking this thread and enjoying (and appreciating) the UI tweaks to our 765's.

This might be a silly contribution, but WTH...
    I have a theory as to why there is some confusion to use .zip or not on the data.zip file.

In Winders, there is a view option to where you can hide the extension of known file types... such as .zip's. So, if you have that view setting enabled, the data file will have the zip icon next to the name and hides the .zip extension. If you add .zip in that scenario, you are really making the file name to be DATA.zip.zip. Of course, our Motonav doesn't know to look for that file name and ignores it.

Just a thought....

And, thanks again to those for making the time to tweak the UI and then share them with us!

-Dave
    Good theory, Welcome to the Forum.

Thanks for your input. I hope you like the Modifications.

Ramrod 8)
  • Also the ghost files are used when the gps is searching for satellites. Switches to the other filles when locked on signal I believe.

Has anyone else had their triangle go gray in color, the way ThunderLizard described?

Oh Crap! Yeah, it was because it wasn't locked on satellite! (DOH! :shock: )

Now she's back, in all of her bluey-triangly regalia! (*PHEW!* that was a close one!) Ha!

Still want to note, when I use Notepad++ to try and open the .mdl file, all I get is some Bulgarian -looking stuff. No discernible Kings English that I can see?! How do you get it to speaka da English?
  • Hi all,

I just ordered one of these and hope to have it by the end of the week. I look forward to sharing your pain/pleasure. Switching from a Navigon 2100Max and all of it's shortcomings I'm guessing this should be an improvement, If not, I couldn't go wrong for the price!!

I just wanted to say these posted mods are nice and its good that someone took the initiative to improve where Moto has failed. TTYS
    I had a Navigon 8100T and though there were things about that unit that I loved, I still like the MotoNav better. Hope you do too!

Welcome to the forum, 1st time poster!

(BTW - whereabouts in upstate NY?)
  • Just some pics of my screens for today. Sorry the first one is a little out of focus. The Second one had just lost current street info, the shaded bars seem to work well. They do not cut out any of the map Real estate only shade it and it seems to look well in other modes smooth/minimal while making it easy to read the fonts. They blend well with the Voice recognition and other icons.

Not easy to drive while taking photos of gps.........or take photos while driving.

Ramrod 8)

• ...This says .spr files are for 2D but I found the .bmp files worked. However if you make any changes to the file in paint ,corel, whatever & reinstall you will not have a symbol. It disappears, this tells me the file is going to be in another directory or several others it would have to be copied to.

I hope this helps

Ramrod 8)

Interesting. I made some changes to try and dress up the blue Triangle bitmap, then replaced the original with my modded one in the MotoCar zip file. It's there, I can pull it up, but it has had absolutely no impact on the way the triangle looks! It acts as if there was no mod done at all. Yet, if I pull it up in Paint, all my changes are there. I almost wonder if the bitmap is just a snapshot of what the other files were built around or modeled after.
  • Just some pics of my screens for today. Sorry the first one is a little out of focus. The Second one had just lost current street info, the shaded bars seem to work well. They do not cut out any of the map Real estate only shade it and it seems to look well in other modes smooth/minimal while making it easy to read the fonts. They blend well with the Voice recognition and other icons.

Not easy to drive while taking photos of gps.........or take photos while driving.

Ramrod 8)
    I like the looks of the shading a LOT. Really blends well with the other shading but still makes it stand out. (Not too fond of the casper-looking blue thing though... :wink: ). Can you post the Skin?
  • Also the ghost files are used when the gps is searching for satellites. Switches to the other filles when locked on signal I believe.

Oh Crap! Yeah, it was because it wasn't locked on satellite! (DOH! :shock: )

Now she's back, in all of her bluey-triangly regalia! (*PHEW!* that was a close one!) Ha!

Still want to note, when I use Notepad++ to try and open the .mdl file, all I get is some Bulgarian -looking stuff. No discernible Kings English that I can see?! How do you get it to speaka da English?

I didn't I couldn't do anything with it but rename the file from whatever it was spaceship to the motocar.mdl and rename the origial one so I wouldn't lose it and pasted back and Poof I had a spaceship..LOL

Glad you got your blue triangle back had me puzzled why you were the only one with a gray triangle.......MYSTERY SOLVED.. :D
  • Yeah, for them to call it a spaceship? Looks more like a blue wart or a pimple.
    I'm not fond of it but I was tired of seeing triangles.

I could send it as a Skin. I am still wanting to fix the font, resize mph, ft, ect...
    but that can still be done later. I know some have done the mods to bring back the lower bar per instructions posted. But just because there is a new skin posted if they like what they have they don't have to use the new one. You know Viewer Discretion is Advised.....

Ramrod 8)
  • is that "ram rod Senior" or ram rod Senor (with a tilde) :P

no matter: thanks for what you're creating.

i do like the bar colors. could you post a 6.3 version with the bar colors and layout that you're using?

i'm not sure how you got the "wart" or spaceship or whatever it is. did you edit the triangle or make a bit map .bmp file or what? i'm really confuddled. you've been able to change the triangle to something so you should be able to change it to anything you wish. and if that's the case, how about a detailed step by step? (or am i asking too much)?

My Camel
  • Hi all,

I just ordered one of these
    and WELCOME new poster.

you will appreciate the 765 more and more as you use it and become familiar with it. i recommend you read over the past posts in to last year-mid year and before. you'll get all the tidbits!! IMHO, it's an incredible tool!

My Camel
  • @ mahammel
    if jpeg images is what you found, it is very simple to change them to bitmaps, just open them in a paint program and under file click "save as" bitmap, it will have a whole array of different file formats for images just select bitmap and save to a new folder.
  • yep. it was done and i had .bmp files but this forum won't display images in .bmp format. just jpg, me thinks. i tried all four (the small images) in jpg and bmp and i could only display the jpg's. interesting

My Camel
  • ok, since were tweeking code, we realy need to do something about Samantha (TTL) she sounds like my mother in law, quick to bitch at me for going 1 mph over the speed limit, lol. I think she is a heavy drinker too, for the love of God what does "rurchering calculation mean?"
    this girl needs to speak english lol
  • dhave 0 Points
    edited January 2011
    With help from Ramrod, I managed to shift the current speed over to the upper right corner of the map display. I put in a shaded background, too.

The bottom has the two-tiered shaded bar, which I prefer even though the street name sometimes extends beyond the shading. I'd rather have that happen some of the time than have unneeded shading most of the time.

Here's a photo:

If anyone's interested in this barely modified mod, I can upload it, though I don't know where to do that.

EDIT: This modified DATA.zip file is currently on echofoxx's site (see info below). The filename is DATA_dh01.zip.

EDIT #2: If echofoxx's site doesn't work, try this link (courtesy of Thunderlizard): http://www.easy-share.com/1913691279/DATA_dh01.zip .
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Echofoxx probably can host it. Just keep the filename unique so you are credited with "ownership". Maybe dh_v1.0 ?

Original path for SciFi was:

upload to below:
    FTP Username: gps@echofoxx.com
    FTP Server: ftp.echofoxx.com
    FTP Server Port: 21
    SFTP Server Port: 22
  • hey dhave that is where I'd prefer the speed too, one question, does it dissapear when you revert to dashboard view? if not thats where I would like it, with its own distinct background colour, it seems distracting at times with all the white font, floating and one constantly changing numbers, need to make it highly visible like the speed warning, and in a constant location.
  • @ Spyder63 that FTP site is password protected
  • dhave 0 Points
    hey dhave that is where I'd prefer the speed too, one question, does it dissapear when you revert to dashboard view? if not thats where I would like it, with its own distinct background colour, it seems distracting at times with all the white font, floating and one constantly changing numbers, need to make it highly visible like the speed warning, and in a constant location.
    Yes, it disappears when the left panel appears. This doesn't bother me, as
    I rarely have the left panel open while I'm driving, though I guess if you were following turn-by-turn instructions that would pose a problem. I just find it much easier to notice in the upper-right corner..
  • Yes, it disappears when the left panel appears. This doesn't bother me, as
    I rarely have the left panel open while I'm driving, though I guess if you were following turn-by-turn instructions that would pose a problem. I just find it much easier to notice in the upper-right corner..
    I realy like to have the trip info open, I know it almost the same as the bottem bar, but i't has one important thing for me, the address of the next drop off or pick up I'm going to, after 4 or 5 diffferent locations in a day back and forth across the border the address and shipper warehose is important, so I travel with the dashboard open, would love to find a way to lock the speed bar in that top right position.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    @ Spyder63 that FTP site is password protected
    It was:

User:gps
    Pass:gps

• [I had a Navigon 8100T and though there were things about that unit that I loved, I still like the MotoNav better. Hope you do too!

Thank you all for the warm welcome, my new toy has an eta of Friday which gives me the whole weekend to play. I guess the one thing I will miss the most about my Navigon is the speed alerts. I wonder if a script can be written to play a sound if you exceeding the speed limit by 10 MPH.

BTW- my whereabouts is about 30 miles west of Buffalo in a little town nobody ever heard of called Elba.
  • dhave 0 Points

BTW- my whereabouts is about 30 miles west of Buffalo in a little town nobody ever heard of called Elba.
    As in "Able was I ere I saw Elba"? (aka Napoleon's Palindrome)

• [I had a Navigon 8100T and though there were things about that unit that I loved, I still like the MotoNav better. Hope you do too!

Thank you all for the warm welcome, my new toy has an eta of Friday which gives me the whole weekend to play. I guess the one thing I will miss the most about my Navigon is the speed alerts. I wonder if a script can be written to play a sound if you exceeding the speed limit by 10 MPH.

I thought 30 miles west of Buffalo was somewhere in the middle of a Great Lake! :lol:
    (I graduated from Albany State). :wink:

I thought 30 miles west of Buffalo was somewhere in the middle of a Great Lake! :lol:

Oops, sorry for the brain fart, That is 30 miles east, centrally located between Buffalo & Rochester...

You can see why I need a GPS now....lol

Oops, sorry for the brain fart, That is 30 miles east, centrally located between Buffalo & Rochester...

You can see why I need a GPS now....lol

Byah-ha! :lol: :lol: (you've come to the right place!)
  • i just returned from a 3 hour trip. I'm using what i call 6.2 (the 6.1 as modified by-oops.forgot who it was). anyway, i really didn't pay attention going up in to TN but on the way back it occured to me to check the 2d screen.

the changes i tried making to the triangle must have worked to some degree. now i have no vehicle. i think i tried loading a hot rod file over the triangle file. and from what i just read, it was probably a 2d triangle that i replaced. it may not have displayed a triangle or vehicle of any kind, but i certainly changed it from something to nothing in 2d.

i am not sure this makes any sense but i will tell you that i ain't messing with it no more. i have to figure how to get it back to normal, with the 6.2 skin. sheesh. i'm too old to be messing with this stuff. i used to be an active ham, but i've become so complacent now, i will call myself an "appliance" operator. no more development for me (literally and figuratively speaking!!!).

My (boring) Camel
  • @ Dhave , good work on the Mod. I had mine that way for a while, I never released it as a zip. I Released 6.2 with the speed on the left so it would work with both screens. Glad to be able to help get you started with the fun of making your own modifications to share.

@ mahammel, the .bmp files are for 2D mode, to get your triangle back reinstall this file back and let it rename the file you originally replaced it with. (The Car Photo). Let me know, this should work.

I do hope you renamed or saved the original file.

Ramrod 8)
  • I do hope you renamed or saved the original file.

yeah me too :oops:

i'll look in to it tomorrow.

thanks for your guidance, ramalama

My (ding dong) Camel
  • @ ThunderLizard, have you checked your PND in the 2D mode, I read you made changes to the .bmp file you may have the missing triangle also.

I will release this last mod for DATA(6.2) with the shading. Several people have expressed they would like to use it.

For those who may wish to modify the Bars.
    Changes were made at lines 171 and 175 in the script. Look for alpha=5 this is the current setting as you see it lower the number to lighten the Bar increase the number to make it darker. Search earlier post to see what folders and files to open to do this Mod.

The new Skin is DATA_RR(6.3) This is the Link.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BxLFSMPz25ohZjhlNjFkODQtNGY1Ni00OTllLTg4NDAtZDdhN2JhMDcxYzAz&hl=en&authkey=CK_IuoAE

Ramrod 8)
  • @ RAMRODSR:
    was looking at the screen today and it dawned on me, the +plus -minus squares on the right don't slide with the screen :idea: if we can find the code lines for them, we should be able to add a line to the speed code to match and lock it into position on the right over the +- boxes, as in dhave's screen, I think that is one of the most natural places to look for the speed box, now if we could only get a smart guy, :shock: wait I know one "RAMRODSR" maybe we can fix this thing,
    Sorry McCamel, the roadster's gona have to wait :wink:
  • Sorry McCamel, the roadster's gona have to wait
    yeah, yeah, i hear it all the way home. even my wife says
    the roadster's gona have to wait
    . and we're in bed when SHE says it.

My (depressed) Camel
  • With help from Ramrod, I managed to shift the current speed over to the upper right corner of the map display. I put in a shaded background, too.

The bottom has the two-tiered shaded bar, which I prefer even though the street name sometimes extends beyond the shading. I'd rather have that happen some of the time than have unneeded shading most of the time.

Here's a photo:

If anyone's interested in this barely modified mod, I can upload it, though I don't know where to do that.

EDIT: This modified DATA.zip file is currently on echofoxx's site (see info below). The filename is DATA_dh01.zip.
    I cant seem to get echofoxx's site to come up. I'd like this skin. Anyplace else you can post it?
  • dhave 0 Points

I cant seem to get echofoxx's site to come up. I'd like this skin. Anyplace else you can post it?
    I could try sending by e-mail as an attachment. Gmail seems to permit files this size. You could send me your e-mail address by PM.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Seems your are correct, Sir! It worked just a day or two ago. Even the ftp link and passwords are not recognized. Guess he folded up his tent and slinked off into the night. :o Guess we will have to kick him out of the stomach, 'er sticky, club and make him turn in his belly button. :lol:
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    You could send me your e-mail address by PM.
    OH boy, here we go..... you have PM capability to send? TL can you receive? And the coin toss is...... :lol:
  • dhave 0 Points
    You could send me your e-mail address by PM.

OH boy, here we go..... you have PM capability to send? TL can you receive? And the coin toss is...... :lol:
    Um, does this forum not support PM for all registered members?

If it doesn't, TLiz, you could send me your e-mail address via PM on the Moto support forum.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    A few "old" users still have PM, but it was abused by a few (or more) and new users do not get PM capability on this forum. Good idea to go to MotoSupport forum.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Every member can receive PMs, only some members can send.
  • dhave 0 Points
    Every member can receive PMs, only some members can send.
    Looks like I'm a non-sender. If you're a non-sender, too, Thunderlizard, just send me your e-mail address via PM on the Motorola support forum. It's been pretty slow over there lately, anyway.

Also, I'm assuming I can still send an 11Mb file via Gmail. I think I did this very thing a few weeks back for someone else. Your e-mail service needs to support files this size, obviously. (And any e-mail service that doesn't isn't worth its salt, since an 11Mb file ain't nothin' anymore.)
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Somehow I missed that point in the discussion. :idea: :oops: