This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

TN765t Freezes sometimes

tr59210 0 Points
edited November -1 in Motorola MotoNav
Hello, I bought a tn765t about a month ago and updated all the system software. I have my GPS setup in a way where its always plugged in and turns ON/OFF with the car automatically and no, I don't use the car kit, I just have it plugged in all the time. Recently, every so often, the gps would start and about a second or two later would freeze and would have to reboot it. It has happened three times now. Getting sort of frustrated, otherwise a great GPS if motorola would only update the software and MAPS!

sorta thinking about going back to my gramin 265wt...

any help would be great. thanks.

Comments

• gatorguy 326 Points
    Every winCE-based gps I've ever used had a lockup/freeze now and then. The TN765 is one of those. Seems like doing a hard reset every few days was beneficial.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    But a hard reset will lose all user data. Back to factory, out of the box status. I'd try soft reset. Unless Gator and I are having semantic confusions here.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Not really a semantics problem. . .

just a poor choice of words. :oops: Yes, shutdown and restart by holding down the power button and rebooting. A soft reset.

IIRC I had to do this on a regular basis with an iPaq, and one of the Magellan's had the same problem. I recall at least one reset was necessary in the two weeks I had the TN765. Just not unusual with winCE models.
  • Though some may question the validity of this, take a look at my post on the Moto forum:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/291759#291759

I do this about once a month and have never had a freeze. Maybe just coincidence, but it certainly can't hurt. My thinking is that this is a Windows device, and therefore prone to some of the inherent windows shortcomings (such as the need for reboot!). I try to maintain this device just like I would my PC, and that seems to work.

Good luck.