This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

First thoughts on TN765t

blueTOOTH 0 Points
edited November -1 in Motorola MotoNav
I picked up my TN765t today and after the manditory updates...tried to have a little fun.

I thought this was CE 5.0...turns out CE 6.0!

(please don't repost on mfg!)

...I'll add some more later...

Comments

• Cool!
    How did you unlock it? :D
  • blueTOOTH 0 Points
    edited December 2010
    Cool!
    How did you unlock it? :D
    Just looked inside.
  • dhave 0 Points
    One good thing about the recent price drop of the TN765 is that more wizards like SciFi2010 and blueTOOTH will be getting their hands on this PND that has so much potential. I'm expecting great things ahead! I only wish I had the brains to do the kinds of things they do.

• (please don't repost on mfg!)
    Got it
  • Just wanted to thank you guys...I really only wanted to explore a little to share...and hope the Moto team comes through for us. From what I'm now seeing at the MFG. site...I guessing it won't be long for that forum. It's OK to express your feelings...but, I really want a legit GPS with support. This is a very good machine ARM11/256RAM/w/RDS and I hope others will not get too overboard with their postings. It's a fine line...try to stay on the right side. (for awhile :lol: )
  • dhave 0 Points
    Just wanted to thank you guys...I really only wanted to explore a little to share...and hope the Moto team comes through for us. From what I'm now seeing at the MFG. site...I guessing it won't be long for that forum. It's OK to express your feelings...but, I really want a legit GPS with support. This is a very good machine ARM11/256RAM/w/RDS and I hope others will not get too overboard with their postings. It's a fine line...try to stay on the right side. (for awhile :lol: )
    Understood.
  • Just wanted to thank you guys...I really only wanted to explore a little to share...and hope the Moto team comes through for us. From what I'm now seeing at the MFG. site...I guessing it won't be long for that forum. It's OK to express your feelings...but, I really want a legit GPS with support. This is a very good machine ARM11/256RAM/w/RDS and I hope others will not get too overboard with their postings. It's a fine line...try to stay on the right side. (for awhile :lol: )

Understood.
    Hey dhave~ 1:14 am? yeesh! either you're on the west coast, or you're a night owl! :wink:
  • dhave 0 Points
    Hey dhave~ 1:14 am? yeesh! either you're on the west coast, or you're a night owl! :wink:
    The latter. I crashed at about 4 a.m. My daughter's home from college and we sit up late every night.
  • Hey dhave~ 1:14 am? yeesh! either you're on the west coast, or you're a night owl! :wink:

The latter. I crashed at about 4 a.m. My daughter's home from college and we sit up late every night.
    That's awesome! I'm sure you cherish that time. I have twin 16-year-olds and I love to just hang with them. They share a large room (our former "Bonus room") so I just sit with them while they do whatever and we have a blast! I have to say though, you won't be seeing me up at 4:00 am, unless it's for my 2 year old! ;)
  • Well, I just got my gps back after the return....and completed mapping the drives.
    Flashdisk:
    GPSPARAM
    and ta da
    SDMMC
    I've got a good unlock set up (good and stable) I'll post when I've got all the kinks worked out (need an exit button on motonav to exit back to unlock)
  • Cool! Looking forward.

P.S. I see Opera Mini and IE on the screenshot. How are you getting web access? Via bluetooth?
  • That is my plan if it works LOL...main problem so far is the 854x358 resolution.

I've checked and SDMMC is callable so we now have 16GB of more space to play with. :wink:

As I said earlier, the resolution is creating problems with Opera Mini display
    Anyone know how to force resolution/display? Here is what it looks like actual/emulator. Once the resolution exceeds the 800 wide limit...it goes into stretch mode and we loose top and bottom (menu). Hope someone knows more than I do...

update Fixed it!
  • It seems the next roadblock is trying to force the bluetooth on. Does anyone have a solution? I've tried most of the (miopocket, internet) solutions to fire it up...no luck. Without it active, you get error "no bluetooth controller found" and you can't establish DUN or PAN connection.

I've extracted the .bin files from the GPSPARAM, hopefully the boot will provide answers.

Also, GPSPARAM contains the save files for Motonav_pna. It should be real easy to redirect this folder to Flashdisk so that you don't loose saved data on Hard reset. User.upoi (where favorites/contacts are stored) can also be edited just like other IGO products.

My plan is to also move the content folder (maps and such) to SDMMC (sd card like my old navigon). This will free 2 gb of flashdisk space.
  • Well...still no success with turning on BT. But, the BT.dll files are all in the window folder (as hidden files) and the settings for DUN are in the motonav/bluetooth folder. Does anyone have thoughts on how to turn it on? I really want to go surfing!
  • Since this is more tips stuff I thought I'd post here rather than extend the skin thread:

Several people have been trying to modify contacts/favorites...The main problem is that the software does not really give you all the options you would like. Here is one easy solution....

WARNING: This will be like resetting since you don't have access to your save data in GPSPARAM disk...I'll show you how to get access to this tomorrow.

Connect to your pc and in /flashdisk/motonav/ you will find sys.txt This can be opened by clicking (should open in notepad).

Change this line:
    [folders]
    data="/GPSPARAM/"

To this:
    [folders]
    data="/flashdisk/motonav"

Your save files will now be in the motonav folder and safe on reset! Plus, you can now edit the user.upoi (place where favorites are stored) Just rename it to user.txt and edit with notepad. Rename it to user.upoi and away to go

Default user.upoi looks like this:
    @My POI.@Favorites.@Business
    @My POI.@Favorites.@Dining
    @My POI.@Favorites.@Entertainment
    @My POI.@Favorites.@Family
    @My POI.@Favorites.@Friends
    @My POI.@Favorites.@School
    @My POI.@Favorites.@Sports
    @My POI.@Favorites.@Travel
    @My POI.Home
  • Good to know, thanks again for your help. My GPS is better than it was new. New skin working and The iphone windows to play with also.

Ramrod :D
  • This pack contains items to unlock your tn765t. Please see the readme files before making any changes. Have fun.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B5zpi5jfqWIyMDAwZjljMjItOWQ1Yi00YzkyLWIyMzItYmRkZWY3YzRkNmY2&hl=en
  • Outstanding work! Thank you for your contributions!
  • This pack contains items to unlock your tn765t.
    Being the ignoramus i am, what is meant by "unlock"?

i've d/l the files, but now what?

My (stupid) Camel
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    Good luck. So far it does not work for me. Need more direction for sure. Seems pretty cut and dried, but.....

According to the readme - Rename /flashdisk/motonav/motonav_pna.exe to motonav_pna2.exe - (this disables the normal Moto boot file.)

copy iphonetoday folder to /flashdisk/ (I think the contents of the folder need to be copied over, not the entire folder with contents left inside and then iPhoneToday.exe becomes the executable/boot file and all should work. ????

Check the ReadMe text files and start there. Make sure you have a good backup. :)

OH.....unlock means that you will be able to access WindowsCE on the PND. The redirect to other applications from the skin is still questionable if I am understanding BT correctly.

EDIT: The one thing I did do prior to trying the new BT skin was to create the redirect to move the "save" file(s) to preserve my personal/favorites data and that seems to be working OK.

Another interesting fact is that when I tether the PND via the USB cable I can now open the inserted SD card and see files in it which could not be done before I tried the "unlock" process. I have taken the PND back to "normal" state and am not running RRods skin anymore either. FWIW.
  • Yes, this is set up to be a very basic unlock (just so you can access the ceshell and explore...transfer files) There are no registry edits. To change paths to the icons in the iphone skin you can open the icon.xml or settings.xml with xml notepad on your pc and copy over via usb. Since there is no exit in the Motonav_pna software, I've just been using this to play

Copy the iphone folder to /flashdisk/

The redirection script in the .exe is set to /flashdisk/iphonetoday/iphonetoday.exe
  • Spyder63 231 Points

Copy the iphone folder to /flashdisk/

The redirection script in the .exe is set to /flashdisk/iphonetoday/iphonetoday.exe
    That is what I originally thought was the path, but I guess I need to try it again. Just copy over the entire folder intact.

Now my new question is about the name "flashdisk" in the path. I do not see anything named "flashdisk". My PND shows up under Computer as Removable Disk (F:). Is "/flashdisk/" some defacto name for the PND and invisible yet discoverable by the embedded script?
  • @ Spyder
    The program would not work for me at first either. Read and try this.

The original TN_fix.rar that blueTOOTH sent me so I could get my PND up and running again, when unzipped everything was open and not in folders. I had to make separate folders for each path. example: ( iphonetoday / icons / opera mini ) and other paths and then move the appropriate files to those folders so when the program loaded it could find the files needed in the appropriate place. example, the program loaded and I had not moved the icons to a folder and none were showing, only text with blank space where icons should be. Made the folder, moved the appropriate files and icons now worked. This may be a problem you are having if you can't get the program to work.

I am currently running DATA_RR(6.4) all is working fine and also have the iphonetoday program working so I can explore and play around with it.

Good Luck,

The removable disk F: is your flashdisk. Mine is E:

Pay attention to paths, make folders ONLY if needed and move files to appropriate folders. Then follow blueTOOTH'S instuctions.

Ramrod 8) :lol:
  • Just so everyone understands...I was planning to share once I got all the links and everything else working...but people were asking...so I'm willing to share. The iphone skin works (you can explore, run motonav, run opera mini) The rest of the links to the icons are a work in progress and will require you to modify via an xml editor. It's basically for those that want to play or need to fix something they messed up...it's not a plug-n-play ready set-up.

The picture above lays out the file system on the Motonav when you connect via usb...you should see something like (drives lettering depends upon you PC) drive E: and drive F: (where E: = Flashdrive and F: = sdmmc) The flash memory GPSPARAM can only be accessed internally...therefore if you need to fix something on it(like a corrupt save file from playing with your data.zip :lol: )....you have to unlock into ce to gain access.
  • Just so everyone understands...I was planning to share once I got all the links and everything else working...but people were asking...so I'm willing to share. The iphone skin works (you can explore, run motonav, run opera mini) The rest of the links to the icons are a work in progress and will require you to modify via an xml editor. It's basically for those that want to play or need to fix something they messed up...it's not a plug-n-play ready set-up.

The picture above lays out the file system on the Motonav when you connect via usb...you should see something like (drives lettering depends upon you PC) drive E: and drive F: (where E: = Flashdrive and F: = sdmmc) The flash memory GPSPARAM can only be accessed internally...therefore if you need to fix something on it(like a corrupt save file from playing with your data.zip :lol: )....you have to unlock into ce to gain access.
    Thanks blueTOOTH,

That should clear up things a bit. This may not be for everyone at this point in time. It is not as simple as installing a DATA.zip. Others having problems with the install may need to wait until it has progressed to the ease of plug and play.

Ramrod
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    Thanks, guys. Got it working. Have not set up any redirects as yet. Mini Opera is interesting to explore. Left hand physical buttons do have some control with Opera - but does not seem to work consistently.

Rotate screen works! In 90 degree increments.

Did copy my GPSPARAM folder to the SD card successfully.

I find that using an old Palm Pilot stylus helpful in exploring although a toothpick will do too. :)

A push of the Reset button on the bottom of the Motonav will "stop" Motonav software and get you back to iPhone skin. Only way I have found to get back to WinCE is to do a "hard" reset by holding the ON/OFF button in the OFF position for the needed 8-10 seconds.
  • Thanks, guys. Got it working. Have not set up any redirects as yet. Mini Opera is interesting to explore. Left hand physical buttons do have some control with Opera - but does not seem to work consistently.

Rotate screen works! In 90 degree increments.

Did copy my GPSPARAM folder to the SD card successfully.

I find that using an old Palm Pilot stylus helpful in exploring although a toothpick will do too. :)

A push of the Reset button on the bottom of the Motonav will "stop" Motonav software and get you back to iPhone skin. Only way I have found to get back to WinCE is to do a "hard" reset by holding the ON/OFF button in the OFF position for the needed 8-10 seconds.
    Hey Spyder,

Glad you got it working. The stylus does help alot. That was the first thing I had to find so I could set the time zone and the clock. My fingers were just too damn fat. LOL
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    Is anyone having any success on building redirects to other Apps? I have managed to get Core Player (a media player) to run, but so far have not been able to actually find a video that will run. The demo from MioPocket (a MP4 file) does not, nor does the Moto demo video (an .avi).

I would like to get World Clock running, but so far it does not. Maybe ScreenShot too.
  • @ spyder

I used (you should see the link) pocketcapture to make screen shots...it dumps the .bmp in the windows/temp folder...you just need to cut/paste to flashdisk or sdmmc before next reset.

If this was a different site...I could help more with SW. Are you having trouble running software...or just linking to it. If it's linking...you just have to understand the file structure.

Example: You have the program solitare on your SD card in a folder games.

Open the icon.xml

root-Folder Screen-icon-
    name-solitare
    image-\flashdisk\iphonetoday\icons\solitare.png
    animation-1
    exe- \sdmmc\games\solitare.exe

If the icon does not have an exe line...just copy the exe line from another icon and paste it to the new icon
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    I understand the path structure but some just don't work even when path is correct. I assume that is a registry problem??? Or since I am grabbing apps from MioPocket there is incompatibility with the Moto. ???

Still can't get World Clock to run. Screen goes blank for a couple seconds and then returns to iPhone menu/buttons. Same with Windows Media Player.

In XML Notepad I see there are different "Type" numbers associated with different entries, such as Type 1, Type 15, etc. Where can I find what the different types mean?

I have also just been copying an existing entry in XML Notepad and modifying because I don't really understand how to start a new entry since I don't know if I should start with an Attribute or Element or one of the other choices. I assume I need to read more on the XML structure. :roll:

Did get some simple games to run but just from within WinCE.
  • I had the same crash problems with coreplayer. I tried directdraw and GDI. This may be due to the 854x358 screen size or some other system thing. I know that many of the programs that are set to expand to fullscreen seem to have problems on this unit.

The type numbers you see in the xml go with some of the advanced features that are preprogrammed. Example: 1 is just execute the .exe path type 14 will display the battery % on the icon. There are some threads on this google iphonetoday settings...xda...developers

This skin was developed for WM and is set up to use menus (so you don't have to use xlm editor) Osprey uses this in Miopocket...but there are lot's of mortscript changes to get this running...I've installed miopocket...but there are still problems with CE6.0 machines...But as more GPS systems move to CE6.0 there will be more development...so this is more a simple tool right now and works with some programs.
  • this is brogue to me!

My (greek) Camel
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    I had the same crash problems with coreplayer. I tried directdraw and GDI. This may be due to the 854x358 screen size or some other system thing. I know that many of the programs that are set to expand to fullscreen seem to have problems on this unit.

<snip>

This skin was developed for WM and is set up to use menus (so you don't have to use xlm editor) Osprey uses this in Miopocket...but there are lot's of mortscript changes to get this running...I've installed miopocket...but there are still problems with CE6.0 machines...But as more GPS systems move to CE6.0 there will be more development...so this is more a simple tool right now and works with some programs.
    Roger. I did get MioPocket to install as well, for the first time. I did the SD card install and when it went screwy on me it was easy to go back.

Other than getting a few extra utilities on the Moto I don't think I will pursue this much. I can wait for Osprey and all you smarter guys to get things running well with CE6.0.
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    this is brogue to me!

My (greek) Camel
    Camel, how long can you tread water? :lol: :lol: :roll:
  • forever. remember: i'm 2 humps-not one (my wife and girlfriend appreciate that).

My (dry hump) Camel
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    Good. Hang in there. I'm sure there will be a PhD install system before too long. :roll:

Your wife and girlfriend must both be Saints. :lol:

"Riding a camel is different from riding a horse or most any other four-legged creature. And riding a camel the wrong way results in bruises, soreness and embarrassment. They Are Mean. They Spit. They Smell."
  • YEAH. That's them. i met my peer on one trip to Morocco. it was like meeting a twin (you know, two 765's, side by side). big, ugly, spits, smelly and most of all, embarrassing. (that comes from my girlfriend).
    and you know, it's worse with 2 humps. it's not linear-it's logrithmic.

My (smelly) Camel
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    @Mahammel - You forgot to turn out the lights and close the door after you killed this thread! :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:

• To get the Control Panel button to work change the line to:
    <icon name="Control Panel" image="\flashdisk\iPhoneToday\icons\Settings2.png" animation="1" exec="\Windows\Control.exe" />
  • Thanks all of you for getting this figured out. Okay where to start...

Now I'm in Win and I will explore a cleanup and how to better start Win. This is a great start.

I really don't care for any fancy skins. I want to add some features to the original Moto skin (MS). Particularly running Win easily/easier.

I see a lot of work being done for setting up the skin. Believe it or not I like the MS. So for me to add/update/upgrade the MS would be great. Besides, I originally bought this for my wife and she has to be able to use it too.

I'll have another one in a few days. That one I can torch.

When I get that one comes in, I will work on the BT DUN over my phone.
    I can do it on my Laptop. Hopefully the hardware support is here to let me do this from the moto. While I'm waiting for the new moto, I will do some research on this subject. Also backing up over USB from the moto to my laptop/PC. It would be a lot easier.

Again, thanks for the help in getting this up and running. If I can
    contribute, I will.
  • Making this possible on the 565t would possibly enable a 565 owner to run certain things that are helpful to one whose gps vendor no longer sells maps. There's that helpful standard resolution. Help me make this possible.
  • So I guess this isn't needed on the tn5xx series, as the last 2 revs of miopocket sd-free work. I've even got primo to run well (with much new TA maps!), but w/out BT or DUN, it's not nearly as cool as it could be. Anyone have any more ideas regarding activating BT?
  • blueTOOTH 0 Points
    @lastdeadmouse
    Are you on the Moto forum?
  • @lastdeadmouse
    Are you on the Moto forum?
    Not really. I've browsed over there a bit, but the tone is a little too "let's not do anything to piss of Motorola" for me. :twisted:

Joking aside, why?
  • blueTOOTH 0 Points
    I think it would be great for you to join and make some random comment in a post...you could then get PMs from moto users to help you with problems that you may have. :roll:
  • Okay so I'm jumping on this thread a little late. I just stumbled across this great find after spending the day trying to get miopocket on my TN765T. This method is very easy to modify my gps but what I really want to do is run a different gps program like igo, ndrive, navigon, or tomtom. Something with more current maps to revamp Motorolas forgotten project. Has anybody had any luck doing this. I tried modifieing the xml file and did get my igo logo to show up but fail to get it to load.

on a side note my battery is completely shot on my gps. I have used it extensively at work for the last year or so and it won't last more than 60 seconds now without being plugged from a full charge.

Thanks for the assistance.
  • Don't know if the internal battery is easily exchanged (moondog has experience tearing it apart)

As far as other software....yes and no. Yes other programs will run on this machine. However, that would require special built resolution files for the 854x358 screen size. (That's why you get crash).

You can modify the sys.txt (igo versions) to use 480x272 resolution files in stretch mode (although the display looks like crap)

[rawdisplay]
    screen_x=854
    screen_y=358
    highres=0
    stretch=1

.....can't help more than that here as it is not allowed
  • nitz 0 Points
    Hey,

I've got a TN765 a couple of weeks ago on Walmart for $98 which sounded like a good deal compared to other offers and worked great in the U.S.

I would like to use this GPS in South America but there are no maps available and since Motorola is out from the GPS business I have been trying to get it working with other maps, it wont "see" there is a map there but the U.S. ones.

I thought it would be easy since it's based on iGO software so I swapped the map files from my malfunctioning Magellan Maestro with no luck.

Some files like a few voices from my Magellan worked fine.

I would give iGO a go, but I'll probably run into resolution issues like everybody else and I don't like wasting the TN765's beautiful screen with a lower fuzzy resolution.

Any ideas? Thanks
  • Okay so I'm jumping on this thread a little late. I just stumbled across this great find after spending the day trying to get miopocket on my TN765T. This method is very easy to modify my gps but what I really want to do is run a different gps program like igo, ndrive, navigon, or tomtom. Something with more current maps to revamp Motorolas forgotten project. Has anybody had any luck doing this. I tried modifieing the xml file and did get my igo logo to show up but fail to get it to load.

on a side note my battery is completely shot on my gps. I have used it extensively at work for the last year or so and it won't last more than 60 seconds now without being plugged from a full charge.

Thanks for the assistance.
    If you give your email address, I`ll give you some info on how to get inside your unit to replace your battery, if....you can find a replacement battery........
  • If you give your email address, I`ll give you some info on how to get inside your unit to replace your battery, if....you can find a replacement battery........

Or.....go sign up at https://supportforums.motorola.com/community/accessories/motonav then moondog can PM you and you him. Keeps your email off the ethernet. Just a thought.