This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

can we move saved address from unit to unit

admirer 0 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
ok Guys here is the problem: i have a xl340s, and i recently got a xl340TM. i want to move all the "favorites" and "recent destination" addresses from the old unit to the new one. is it possible to do? if yes, how? pls help.. thanks!

Comments

• dhn 336 Points
    All the favourites and recent destinations are kept in a file called mapsettings.cfg which resides in the specific map folder on the 340S. It may be possible to use Explorer to copy that file to the specific map folder on the new unit. If you do so and find the new unit rebooting, one method to stop that (sometimes) is to connect the new unit to Home and make a change to one favourite by adding one, deleting one, editing one, it doesn't matter.

Then, disconnect the unit properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon on the bottom right of Home's screen. See if that helps.

Also, many have foregone the use of favourites and, instead, have made a custome ov2 file out of the favourites. This ov2 file for sure can be copied from map to map or unit to unit.

For further info how to do that, see here
  • thanks for the quick reply. i followed the instructions, i transfered the mapsettings.cfg file from the old unit to my pc, used poiedit to make the _favs.ov2 file and then dropped that file in the usa_canada_mexico map_p folder in my new device. but, when i restart my new device and go to favorites , i see that icon greyed out, cannt access the favs.. (it didnt have any fav manually put as i got it yesterday only)..
    where is the problem?
  • dhn 336 Points
    No, as a custom ov2 file, you'll want to Manage pois, Show on Map. The file you created will show there. Check it and then look at the map.
  • No, as a custom ov2 file, you'll want to Manage pois, Show on Map. The file you created will show there. Check it and then look at the map.
    ok i found it when i went to "search nearby poi".. but here is the problem, when i click on the "Fav" that shows up in the poi list, next i see the list of all transfered favorites. I selected one of them and asked the gps to draw the route, and it just rebooted ! did nothing else :(
    i didnt try second time thinking again it will reboot..
    what to do now?
  • dhn 336 Points
    Was that poi location on a mapped road (as contrasted to a location off-road)?
  • Was that poi location on a mapped road (as contrasted to a location off-road)?
    that was a saved favorite (in my older unit) for a Grocery store that i had transfered to the new unit by making the ov2 file using poiedit..
  • dhn 336 Points
    Sorry, I don't know what the problem is, then.
  • Sorry, I don't know what the problem is, then.
    once we give a name to a favorite, lateron it only shows the name, not the address, do you know how to display the full address again?
    i guess i will now transfer all favs manually..
  • mvl 191 Points
    once we give a name to a favorite, lateron it only shows the name, not the address, do you know how to display the full address again
    Addresses aren't stored with favorites. It just stores the coordinates, you'd have to do "browse map"/"Find favorite" to get a nearby address.
  • dhn 336 Points
    What some do is name is as, for example, "(address) - Doctor's location", "(address) - Grandma's house", etc.