How much internal memory does the Nuvi 1450 has?

I got myself a Nuvi 1450 and I already came accross an issue even before starting to use it.
I copied approx 36Megs of a POI file into the internal memory along with a 1Meg veh file.
I then proceed to copy the Elfred voice file and the device has run out of memory.
So the available space out of the box of this unit is less than 50Megs?
Does this sound about right?
Im concerned for new map updates as it came with 2011.10.
This thing is going to run out of space!

Comments

• t923347 214 Points
    Yes there is not a lot of free space on the Nuvi's internal storage drive. My 1490 came with 128MB of free space but it's a year old now so has had a couple of map updates so one purchased today could be down to 50Mb of free space.

Map updates will delete the old map file and replace it with a new one so the only additional space requirement is the difference between the size of the old map file compared to the new one.

What is recommended is that you take a full backup of the Nuvi drive and then delete all voice, text and vehicle files that you will not need. For example if you will only be using English language then you can delete all of the other language files. Deleting all unneeded files will free up many MB of space and leave you lots for any future map updates.
  • sussamb 291 Points
    You can also delete all the unwanted keyboard and EULA files :)
  • jonnop 41 Points
    It looks as though t923347 has a problem with his old JCV files not having been deleted when doing map updates.

My 1490- was down to about 90mb available due to this problem - but then after reading other posts on the forum I dived into the .system area and deleted the olds ones and now have nearly 1 gb of space available.

Make sure you take a backup of your Nuvi before doing this though.
  • sussamb 291 Points
    Yep, good thought. Details in this thread:

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/21189/x/p1/
  • t923347 214 Points
    It looks as though t923347 has a problem with his old JCV files not having been deleted when doing map updates.

My 1490- was down to about 90mb available due to this problem - but then after reading other posts on the forum I dived into the .system area and deleted the olds ones and now have nearly 1 gb of space available.

Make sure you take a backup of your Nuvi before doing this though.
    No JVC issue with my 1490 as the 128MB of free space was the total free when I opened the box the device came in and connected it to my PC. No updates of any kind had yet been performed.

After deleting all unneeded files I have 371MB of free space on the 1.76GB of total space (formatted 2GB internal storage drive).
  • sussamb 291 Points
    Noted, I was really aiming my reply at the OP, he might have a .jcv file issue. Also worth noting that European models come with 4GB of internal memory, whereas the US ones AFAIK have only 2GB. This is why jonnop has about 1GB still free, as opposed to t923347 having just over 100 MB.
  • Another bummer. I liked the British voice Serena and it doesnt come with the 1450.
    I copied it from the 255w to the 1450 and it doesnt work the 1450 says its incompatible. :(

I want my voice back!!
  • sussamb 291 Points
    Unfortunately AFAIK the 255 uses a different speech engine to the 14xx series which is why it doesn't work. Don't know if there is a work around :?:
  • I find that the voices on the 1450 sound more mechanical than on the 255w.
  • Now that I've used the unit on the road I can say that I really dislike all the female English voices. They just dont sound natural at all. :(
    Besides that I really like the unit and love the 5" screen.
  • my 1450 just said there wasn't enough memory for the firmware update. i see in a post above to delete files.....is it as easy as bringing up the files once the unit is hooked up to your computer and deleting them from the folder? i don't want to crash my garmin :cry:.

also, it has been posted that i should make a back up folder. how do i do that?
  • Why not just add a microSD card for more space. The newer (updated) maps are bigger, and you'll probably need it anyway.
  • popej 57 Points
    Because all Garmin programs save firmware update to internal memory first. And this is the easiest and less risky way to update.
  • Yep thanks Garmin.

As a forum. not much help. a place to post, nothing more

Back up. and worry bout the important stuff first. anything else added is your wasted space. you have enough room for a new icon, and your own POI added. Once you start to delete files you are asking for troubles.