This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Tried to update a 2nd 2505 and it says no update available?

MTurbo 91 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
I have two 2505, and when I try and update the 2nd unit it says no update available.

I check the unit and it has the older maps 855 vs the 860 I did.

I called tomtom this afternoon and they suggested try a different computer

I loaded the My Tomtom software on two new computers same problem.

On hold with them now. Man there support is the best I asked the lady that answered today around 1pm how late are they open 11pm. wow :shock:

She said they are even open tomorrow New Years day, guess those calls must get routed to India. :roll:

Comments

• dhn 336 Points
    Nope. TomTom support is in northern New York State.

Did you use a separate email address to register your second unit in MyHome? If not, do so.

It doesn't even have to be a real email address, just one in the proper aaa@bbb.com format.
  • MTurbo 91 Points
    Yes I have tried a different email address and also 2 more different computers.

I called Tomtom and they for some reason show that the unit I have with the old maps shows on there web that its updated.

This is using a complete different computer and email address.

They said they would let me know in 5 days via email as they would escalate this to corp for a solution.
  • dhn 336 Points
    Tomtom has stopped the map update as it has bricked too many units.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    They seem to have so many issues across the board right now, where do they start? From the outside looking in they appear in disarray at the moment.
  • dhn 336 Points
    You think? :roll:
  • rbirk 0 Points
    I finally got me replaced 2505 from TomTom last night and as you guys say, there are no updates for it. At least it will keep me from breaking another GPS :)
  • MTurbo 91 Points
    I did file a problem and tomtom does acknowledge now with using my TomTom software it is not showing correct update map status.

I got a email and tomtom said they are aware of the issue and it should be solved in a few weeks.

Lets hope so as I like the 2505.
  • If you've got a 30 day exchange where you bought it I'd keep exchanging and getting another one till the issues are solved if you want to stick it out.
  • mvl 191 Points
    If you've got a 30 day exchange where you bought it I'd keep exchanging and getting another one till the issues are solved if you want to stick it out.
    The 2505TM has lifetime map updates, so there's no need to do constant exchanges for to keep LMG active.

Tomtom did promise a custom-POI update by end of January. Perhaps that will be rolled out along with a bugfix so that maps don't brick devices.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Personally I'd wait to buy the 25xx's until the fixes are actually in. The promised map update deadline was only technically met and has apparently been an unanticipated problem requiring new plans. They haven't demonstrated yet that they have a handle on the new system and more "unanticipated problems" wouldn't be a surprise.
  • mvl 191 Points
    It all depends on features. If you want a high-end subscription-free GPS and don't really care for all the customization that Tomtom is known for, the GO2505TM pretty much meets your needs out-of-the box.

Former Tomtom owners will probably be disappointed, as Tomtom's computer connectivity and customization was one of it's big draws. If you want some of those old features, it's probably good to hold off on the GO2505TM until Tomtom finishes building them.

With all technology, I would never purchase based on a "promise of a future feature". If it doesn't meet your needs today, it'll be cheaper tomorrow, so just wait or find something else that already meets your needs.
  • I'm sorry did I mention lifetime map updates as the reason to keep returning it?

If someone buys one and they also buy 'its coming' from TomTom they may no longer be able to return it if 'its coming' is still the customer service mantra in a year or so.

Promises mean nothing to retailers.
    If you've got a 30 day exchange where you bought it I'd keep exchanging and getting another one till the issues are solved if you want to stick it out.

The 2505TM has lifetime map updates, so there's no need to do constant exchanges for to keep LMG active.

Tomtom did promise a custom-POI update by end of January. Perhaps that will be rolled out along with a bugfix so that maps don't brick devices.
  • Yeah they had map updates for these for what a week?

Ooops! Your device is a door stop now so just go a few days/weeks without one while we send you a refurbished unit. Don't worry we'll pay for shipping each and every time this happens.

Just what every consumer is looking for.
  • mvl 191 Points
    Sorry if I misread.

Using a 30-day return policy just to loan a product seems exorbitantly expensive and time consuming. TT doesn't sell the 2505 in brick&mortar, so it's a lot of shipping just to rent something that you wouldn't want anyways.
  • I agree that would be a huge problem. It can be shipped to store at Best Buys and returned there but that wouldn't work really. Well its Gators don't buy it till it works.

I thought they were going to use the webkit to have more advanced services etc but they can't make the basics work. Someone must have sold them on this, it would be interesting if we could see a resignation from an engineering head or something.

I've never owned a Garmin but its the only good choice right now for me.