This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

TomTom 1005 first look.

infama 0 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
Happy new year to all, especially Tim, Gator and DHN.

Last month I saw the new TT in action in the middle of a blizzard and traffic tie up that cost me 3 hours to get home from across town which would normally take 20mins.

I went to chill out in an electronics store for half hour to allow the traffic to ease off (to no avail).

I got a demo of the Hi-Def traffic on the 5 inch screen and WOW. It was great. Showed where the hot spots were. Didnt help much, as that evening was just a disaster. However, I got to see the potential of the new TT and would consider getting one in the future.

Comments

• dhn 336 Points
    Hey! Good to see you here, infama and Happy New Year to you as well.

You know the old adage, "You can't tell a book by its cover"?

That, in my opinion, applies to the 1000, 1005, VIA and the North American 2405 and 2505 models (neither have a LIVE component) at this time.

Why?

The feeling is that tomtom rushed the models to market too soon and full implementation of features isn't available as yet.

For example,
    The Latest Map Guarantee originally didn't work at all, then it was offered for a little while but finally stopped since too many users were winding up bricking their units with a faulty install.

Although promised by the end of January, at this time you cannot add custom poi files to the unit.

Although promised by the end of Q2 in 2011, there is no Itinerary Planning at this time.

You cannot do your own backups of the unit's contents since the user has no access to the file system on the unit.

All the above mentioned models require the web based MyHome3 interface. And, trust me, there are issues with that as well in terms of the information (often faulty) it shows to the user.

While all the models may be fine in the future, now is not the time to be getting one, in my opinion. To be fair though, some UK users with the 100x models do say the LIVE traffic works well; further, the routing algorithm is much faster in the models as a rule since TomTom has imbedded a multitude of routes within the data so searching for the correct one goes quicker.

And I DO like the magnetic mount! :lol:

As I remember, you have (or had) a 930. Though a smaller screen than the 1005, it does pretty much everything the 1005 does plus MUCH more!
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Infama. . hmmm, name's kinda familiar :lol:

Great to see you stop by buddy! Have meant to call you the past several weeks. You shopping for a new pnd? Figured you for a smartphone navigator by now.
  • infama 0 Points
    Hi guys.

I hear what you say about rushing the market but it seems the HD traffic works and from what I saw, it is da bomb. This is what traffic was supposed to be in the 1st place. Almost DASH like.

Routing seemed great as well.

Gator, its my wife who has the iPad. Setting up a mount for that in the car would be like the ultimate GPS...though she has the wifi and only the 3G version has the GPS chip in it. Perhaps with iPad2???

Still cant get over HD traffic though...wow.
  • dhn 336 Points
    TomTom has just announced that there will be a HD Traffic model in the States this summer. But, unlike European models, the US version will not be using cell phone info.