This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Satellite connection speed related to temperature of unit

designengineer 0 Points
edited November -1 in Motorola MotoNav
I have noticed with my 765T that if the unit is physically warm, it connects to satellites quickly. If I leave it in the car and it gets cold, it can take 10 minutes or more to connect, but when I keep it in the house, it connects almost instantly when I am ready to use it. Today it is about 10 degrees where I live, and the unit took 15 minutes to connect after setting in the cold car all day. Anyone else notice this?

Comments

• The connection to sats has more to do with your position when the gps is turned on than temp. And, I don't advise leaving your GPS in the car when it's 10 outside...remember what your screen is made of LCD.

The unit keeps a log of the position of sats from last known location when it was active....when reactivated. It will scan the sky to map the position of sats. If it finds it is in or near the last recorded location and time (sats are always moving) it will quickly lock on. However, if you are in a new location or the sats have moved since last use. It will begin to scan the sky to set the position of available sats. This is when it takes the most time to lock on.

With that being said....the most important factor in the speed of lock on is the ability of the GPS to see the sky. You may think that being in your house is worse than your vehicle....but, it may be better. Many of the vehicles now use metals and other coatings in the windshield that actually hurt reception. So, you may just be getting a better view from the house.
  • While everything you have said is true, my point it that if I make no other changes, it connects faster warm than cold. I am not talking about in the car or out, I can take it from a cold environment, stand on my patio and it will take a long time to connect. Take it from a warm environment, and it connects within 30 seconds.
    Also, I owned a Toyota Prius with an LCD screen on the dash, and no warnings were ever given about cold, nor did cold ever affect it. Heat will make them turn black if they get really hot, but cold, not so much. The temperatures required to harm an LCD are typically -40 or above 130, so I have no worries about hitting the low end of that range. Cold might make the screen slow to respond, but that is about it.
  • You know, there is a distinct possibility that these units may vary in architecture, depending on whats available at what price when they are produced. I assume as long as they meet a certain spec, that's all that matters.
    The reason why I say this is that my device stays in my car overnight and will get as cold as ambient (lately down into the teens). Even with this, I've noticed no degradation in satellite lock time (quite fast, especially since adding the SciFi skin!??).

I'm not disagreeing with you about the way yours performs, but rather saying that if it is a newer unit, it may have different architecture/components inside. Certainly not unusual for manufacturers to sub in components.
  • That could be true. i posted the original question because it was wierd for it to do this, and I wanted to know if anyone else has run into the same problem. It looks like I am the only one.
  • ...I am the only one.

You sound like Tigger. :lol:
  • I am not Bouncy Bouncy Bouncy though.