The 'Mark Viewed' options have been temporarily disabled due to a performance issue.

The NEW nüvi 2460LMT or the Gamin 1490LMT???

I see that Gamin has a NEW gps out within a few weeks,its called the
nüvi 2460LMT...I went to the Garmen website and it says the price is $299
and able to order one.
I also went to Amazon and its the same $299 price.
I think once it hits the market the Amazon price should come down a bits........
It seems that the nüvi 2460LMT has more features then the 1490LMT
and only about $100 more.
Only problem as of now is the nüvi 2460LMTI, went to Garmins website and it does not show the nüvi 2460LMT able to use the ecoRoute HD....
I think maybe because the 2460 is so new that Garmin didnot update their site.......
Was thinking of the 1490LMT buttttt I feel a tad more money will get me a
better GPS.....What do you good folks think????The 1490LMT or the
2460MLT??????....................JT

Comments

• Personally I think you will be waiting awhile to actually get your hands on the 2400 series. They announced the 2300 series many months ago, and it still isn't shipping. Amazon doesn't even list a projected ship date for the 2300 series, let alone the 2400.

New models of the Nuvi generally sell at list price for quite awhile before dropping. I got the Nuvi 3790 immediately after it started shipping and had to pay the full list price of $450 on Amazon. That was over 6 months ago. It's only dropped by $50 since then on Amazon (currently selling for $400).

It could be 6 to 9 months before you see discounts on the 2400 series IMO. Could be 3 months before you can even get one. Just my opinion though.... maybe somebody else has a better sense of when they will ship?
  • I see you can order a 2460LTM on the Garmin website.(they don't say anything about waitting}
    You might be right,maybe there might be a tad of a delay
    in shipping these.
    Buttttt maybe its worth the wait then buying a 1490ltm?
    I would put my order in as of now,,buttttt I am
    not sure if this unit will be able to use the ecoRoute HD option.
    Maybe its best to get on the pre order bandwagon so I can get mine when they first come out..(I keep just thinking that I almost bought the 1490ltm}............................JT
  • So cruel from Garmin to announce the 2400 and now gonna make us wait for months.
    This is a mistake from their part.
    I am all excited and ready to fork the money *NOW*.
    In two months time I will have cooled down and more than likely will ponder if its worth spending that kind of money or if I need the unit at all.
    Also more than likely Garmin will be ready to announce new units anyway. :roll:
  • I can agree with that
    I enjoy wasting money lol,but I have read a few websites that the
    2460LTM will be in stores sometime in FEB
    I have been seeing prices from $285-$299 with free shipping.
    I can wait atads,Knowing I am not wasting my money for
    a outdated 1490????}
    Only problem nobody can tell me are 2 things
    1st
    I keep my GPS on a bean bag and not the Mount,,I heard that the Power is from the Mount(Not good if you use the Traffic feature}
    2nd
    Will this Gps will be able to use the ecoRoute HD OPTION???
    Says nothing on their website as of yet
  • 1st
    I keep my GPS on a bean bag and not the Mount,,I heard that the Power is from the Mount(Not good if you use the Traffic feature}
    I believe you posted this in that other forum so I'll repost my reply here:

The "mount" consists of two main parts...the suction cup base and the cradle that actually holds the GPS. The suction cup base has the ball-end on it & the cradle snaps onto the ball. As long as the bean bag has the ball-end (I don't see why it wouldn't), you can snap the new unit's cradle onto the existing ball-end on the bean bag mount. These are all interchangeable & compatible. The power cord (opposite the 12v lighter plug) will then plug into the cradle. When you mount the unit to the cradle, all necessary connection are made through the interface connectors on the cradle mount and the GPS unit. You should have no problems.
    2nd
    Will this Gps will be able to use the ecoRoute HD OPTION???
    Says nothing on their website as of yet
    I don't believe anyone has the answer to this (yet) as the units have just been announced. But know that the 2450 does NOT have Bluetooth which is required for the ecoRoute HD. The 2460 apparently DOES have Bluetooth so it may in fact be compatible with the ecoRoute HD...Also realize that the 2300 series DOES support ecoRoute HD on it's Bluetooth capable units. I don't see why the 2400 series would not support it as well. But like I said, no one really knows for sure right now.
  • As for the ecoRoute HD OPTION,I think it will work since it
    uses bluetooth and I am sure Garmin will want the ecoRoute HD
    to work with future Garmin Gps's,,,,But I will wait a tads and see......

Yes I was on the other website with this question

Thanks for your input..............JT
  • What features does the new series offer over the the 1490LMT? Are those worth the hundred dollars difference?
  • Compare & decide right here:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134

Check mark the units you want to compare, then click the "Compare" button at the top or bottom of the page. The differences between the units will be highlighted within the comparison grid. This will show the basic differences but will NOT show system software differences between the units. These kinds of differences are pretty much only revealed by hands-on usage by users who may report these "new" features on this and other forums. For the whole story, wait for these hands-on user reviews/reports.
  • For your information they 1490 is an obsolete unit
    if you upgrade maps they capacity of unit is to small you will need a memory chip

they 1490 is 2 gig compare to a 2460 is 7 gig

:roll:
  • 1490 can hardly be described as obsolete, but the 2460 is a newer unit. The OP was concerned about the $100 price difference and whether it was worth it. As Serg says above, you can compare here:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134
  • Sorry, but when at your first map upgrade you need to buy an additionnal chip
    because"lack of memory" I call they unit OBSOLETE

With a chip, your unit is much slower in his reponse!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Map upgrade will always need additionnal memory,make sure they capacity
    of unit will be available
    ex: unit nuvi 255 when you do an upgrade you have to chose witch part of
    US, you want to install !!!!!!!!!!

P.S $100. less price of chip........plus above

:wink:

Compare apples with apples
    1490LMT against 2460LMT a $40 difference
  • Yes you're right the differential is less now, I was simply referring to the original post.

Never-the-less there is always likely to be a 'memory limit' no matter which GPS you purchase (incidentally the EU versions have 4 GB of memory) so defining 'obsolete' simply because of a memory problem is hardly reasonable, I can think of many phones, mp3 players etc that could do with more memory even when first new, it's down to consumer choice to ensure their needs and future reqirements are met.

There are various steps you can take to free up a considerable amount of memory on the 1490, which should enable you to load the complete mapset into onboard memory ... there are numerous posts on that topic.

Finally, and to answer the OPs original question, if I were buying now I'd choose the 24xx series over the 14xx series.
  • They EU unit his 4GB because of they Europeen maps
    If a consumer wants to make they proper choice they memory size should be part of Garmin specs.......
    If after 4 months and a first upgrade,they unit processor is slower
    and to slove they capacity problem I have to by an extra chip........
    this is an OBSOLETE unit !!!!!!!

Speak to Garmin tech they will tell you to solve that problem look at they 24XX to 26XX series

Just return my 1490 today ,back to COSTCO (seem to be adware of they problem)
  • Well I guess then you'd buy a camera and moan about having to buy a data card as you like taking a lot of photos, or a phone that has the ability to take a memory card to enable you to store more phone nos, photos etc.

You obviously feel that the best way forward for you is to return the unit, fair enough, but we could have easily suggested ways to solve your problems with the 1490.

Hopefully if you get a 2xxx series GPS it will suit your needs, but be prepared ... even those models may not do things exactly the way you want :)
  • IF IT WOULD BE ONLY FOR THEY MEMORY CARD :roll:
    GARMIN CHANGE THEY PROCESSOR(FASTER) IN THOSE UNIT,

ON A CAMERA YOUR MEMORY CARD IS USED TO STOCK UP YOUR PICTURES
    NORMALY IF YOU WANT TO PROCESS THEM YOU USED A LAPTOP :idea:

On a GPS you have to process they info... on they card, if they info is to big to process,your GPS slow's down

Is your solution to reduce my car speed :roll:
  • I don't know ... Depends how fast you drive :lol:
  • Just got my New 2460LTM last week
    I am not sure if I had a problem with the Unit or not
    I thought the Traffic Icon should always have a Icon on the screen all the time with signal or no signal?
    Many said that the Traffic Icon would only go on if you are near a big city only.
    Garmin told me that the Traffic icon should always be on the map all the time .
    Well I was in Brooklyn last sat and the Traffic icon pop up but after I got home
    to Pa area (Poconos}and restarted my car the next day the Icon was gon.
    I am not sure who is right the folks on here or Garmin?
    But Garmin paid for the return shipping and I will have my replacement 2460LTM later today.
    I am glad to have spent the extra $100 for the 2460 since I know its new to the
    market place not like the 1490...............JT
  • I am not sure who is right the folks on here or Garmin?
    Guess you can tell us after you've had a play on your new one ... my bet's on the folks here :)
  • The Folks on here are righttttt
    and the Folks at Garmin is wrong with the Traffic Icon staying on.
    I guess I would never have known if I didnot exchanged the 2460 at garmin.
    EcoRoute hooked up quick and as of now I am very happy with the 2460.
    Very strange how they can screw up on this.
    As for the latest Free map upgrade,I think I will wait atads before I install it since these things as still kinda new and should have the latest maps........JT
  • Don't count on it ..

You can see what map version you have by going to Tools>Settings>myMaps.
  • Don't count on is for sure. I got my 3790 the first week they were available in North America and it was one map update behind already.

These things aren't made one day and go on sale the next. :?
  • Can someone confirm that the 2450 has 8GB of internal memory??
  • Well you could, hook it up to your PC and see what it says :wink: :roll:

But AFAIK yes, it's 8 Gb.
  • I would if I had it... Amazon was late last week getting it out so I will only be able to get it this saturday.
  • OK, hope it arrives soon :)
  • Can someone confirm that the 2450 has 8GB of internal memory??
    Was watching johnnytuinals video on youtube for the 2460 and it shows it has 8 gb, I would guess the 2450 is the same.
  • Got my 2460LMT Monday, so far so good after a couple of snags. Nice upgrade from the 1390T. More later...
  • How much does a memory chip upgrade cost for the 1490LMT?
    Is it user installed?
  • A "memory chip upgrade" would simply be a microSD Card inserted into the card slot on the unit. The prices can vary widely...~$10 for a 2GB, ~ $15 for a 4GB
  • Thanks. After the chip is installed does it really slow down the GPS?
  • I have clear evidence that maps on an SD card are accessed more slowly than the same file in internal memory. This is contrary to the "common wisdom" however, and most people will tell you there is no difference.

But let me qualify this a bit. I make my own topo maps and they have a very high data density - much more so than Garmin's City Navigator. So they are real torture tests for any GPS.

Using one of these files on a Nuvi 5000 with a 2GB class 2 SD card, the unit just couldn't keep up with drawing the map in either track-up or 3d mode and it basically choked while I was driving at 50mph. At first, portions of the screen would not be updated as I moved. Then the position of my car wandered off the road and the GPS reported that it lost the satellite signal. This was a bogus error message which seems to have been caused by overloading the processor. I had to remove the card and reboot the unit to make it functional again. I saw similar results on a Nuvi 1350. The same map file works as expected when copied to internal memory.

Wondering if this had improved, I tried a new (even larger) version of my map on a 4GB class 4 micro SDHC card on a Nuvi 3790. Same thing happened, the unit just could not draw the map fast enough and eventually acted as though it had lost the satellites, requiring a re-boot.

City Navigator maps have much lower data density, so I'm not sure that you will notice a difference in performance. If there is one, I suspect it will be pretty slight but you would need to try for yourself. If you're concerned, buy the fasted micro SDHC card you can find (class 4 or better). I'm not really sure if it will matter, but it can't hurt to use a faster card.
  • Sounds to me more like a memory bus issue/bottleneck to the SD Card. I don't see why Garmin would be using higher speed memory than what's currently out there on SD Card already. Garmin almost always tends to use older hardware in units...look how long it took them to move to the SD Card format (from their proprietary "Data card" format) along with the move from USB 1.x to USB 2.0.. I believe some of their current units are *still* using USB 1.x :lol:
  • edited March 2011
    I've always been underwhelmed with the nuvi hardware I've used (760 & 660).
    I believe these products are under engineered and use yesterday's technology.
    I also believe they issue too many different models which ties up their capital.

It's always baffled me to look at the bewildering number different models on their website. My eyes glaze over.

I'm a die hard Garmin customer but would like to see them cut back on the number of models they develop, stock and sell then use the freed up money for hardware\software upgrades the the existing and future products.
  • Yeah, Sergey, you're probably right. Perhaps the card slot even uses a USB interface? But it's interesting that this can cause the unit to act like it's lost the satellites.

If you would like to choke your own Nuvi, put this map on a card:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/294/

I don't know if you would see the same issues in simulation mode. Probably not, since it the gps receiver would be turned off. I am working on a new version of this map that is more complex, using the really high resolution 1/9 arc second LIDAR DEM data available in my area. This creates very complex contour lines. :)
  • Here is atad of my Nuvi 2460LMT,,,,I like the EcoRoute......JT

• Comparing my new 2460LMT to my 1490LMT I can safely say I am very happy with spending a bit more to get a gps I really like.
    Things it does better than the 1490: No recalculating voice(no need to hack it out), color screen choices so the big 5" screen doesn't show so much empty glaring white area some times, very good voice controls, back to the beloved powered mount, AWESOME advanced detour abilities, great main screen customization, touch screen seems more competant in use, bluetooth with my phone now is fully funtional and glitch free, plus other small details.
    A downside: when tapping the navigation screen to bring up the 2D there is no scale or zoom level info. (ie 300m zoom). Voice control can get confused easily with searching for names of places, probably due to the millions of choices it is faced with.
    VERY HAPPY, it's a keeper, the search for my gps is done, over and out. :D
  • For your information they 1490 is an obsolete unit
    if you upgrade maps they capacity of unit is to small you will need a memory chip

they 1490 is 2 gig compare to a 2460 is 7 gig

:roll:
    The 2460 appears to be 8G.

Don
  • Sorry, but when at your first map upgrade you need to buy an additionnal chip
    because"lack of memory" I call they unit OBSOLETE

With a chip, your unit is much slower in his reponse!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Map upgrade will always need additionnal memory,make sure they capacity
    of unit will be available
    ex: unit nuvi 255 when you do an upgrade you have to chose witch part of
    US, you want to install !!!!!!!!!!

P.S $100. less price of chip........plus above

:wink:

Compare apples with apples
    1490LMT against 2460LMT a $40 difference
    Your math doesnt add up.

1490LMT + 2 minutes removing the languages you dont speak + installing new map = ?
  • @dcnuvi
    As you've been comparing the two units, I would like to ask you to comment on the "lack of detail" issue. That is, how much info is displayed on the 2460 unit as compared to the infamous lack of detail of the 1490 gps? This issue was more pronounced on the 1490 when driving on a highway, where you could see only a worm-net of roads, with no side info about upcoming roads, geographical features, even nearby cities. Is this still an issue for the 2460 unit, or things have quite improved now? I would appreciate for your answer.
  • Can anybody confirm that the only difference between the 2460LMT and the 2460LT unit is a lifetime maps and traffic subscription, otherwise the two units are virtually identical?
  • LT is lifetime traffic, LMT is lifetime traffic and maps.
  • Thanks sussamb.

Can anybony comment about the level of detail of the 2460 as opposed to the 1490? Any progress?
  • I'd suspect the detail on the 2460 is more in line with the 3790, which is very good. The 1490, along with the most of the other models in the 1xxx line have little to no street name detail. The streets are there but few of them show their name on the map screen.
  • That's improved slightly with the latest FW update on the 13xx and 14xx series but still poor compared to the 16xx and 37xx series, and also it seems the 2xxx.
  • Can anybody post some screenshots of 3D driving maps at various zoom levels, having set the level of detail to highest? That would help decide whether to order this unit or not.
  • I recently purchased a 1490LMT to replace one of our two 2720 StreetPilots. Overall I am very disappointed with this device, mostly due to the very poor map display. Streets are ridiculously wide, the size of the icon depicting my car is so large it looks silly, and street names are too sparse (due to limitations of the much too large font). Also, the few street details that do exist disappear when zooming out well before they need to. The display has a clunky cartoonish appearance rather than the crisp detailed I believe the hardware is capable of providing. I intentionally purchased a unit with the largest available screen thinking the map display would include a larger geographical area for the same zoom level. Instead, Garmin simply provides exactly the same map as available on the units with smaller screens, only bigger with even wider streets and no more detail.

Unfortunately, I perceive all the GPS OEMs have made the proper business decision to market their devices to widest possible population. That means providing simply to use units with easy to interpret displays, the antithesis of a really usable map. In other words, my 1490 is obviously focused on providing excellent turn directions but on little else.

When making the decision to purchase either a 1490 or 2460, I compared the features of each, side by side, on Garmin's web site. The table indicated the only consequential difference is the addition of voice commands, traffic trending, and the Garmin locate feature; none of which matter to me. Therefore, I went with the less expensive 1490. Some of the posts above seem to imply the 2460 has a more detailed display and possibly better performance in some areas. If this is the case I feel cheated as I would have quickly opted for the 2460 had I known these other improvements existed.

At this time I am thinking of sending the 2720 back for a $99 refurbish and selling our new 1490. It is just disappointing to see the outstanding features of some great GPS units (the 2610 the best) be constantly deleted even though the technology inexpensively exists now to make these units orders of magnitude better than they already are. My experience with the 1490 is exactly opposite of that when I purchased our first two 2610s.
  • Garmin would argue that you've purchased a naviagtion device and if, in your words, your "1490 is obviously focused on providing excellent turn directions" then they'd suggest it's doing what it's intended to do.

I also have a 1490, and a 1310, and find both very accurate 'navigation devices'. I'm very happy with them and don't have any concerns about street widths, display or size of icon depicting my car (you presumably know you can select different ones?).
  • I believe that the only way to find out is to have screenshots of the 2460 navigation maps. Since the user dcnuvi owns both units (1490 & 2460) he could provide this critical info (if he pleases).

I agree with RhoXS; the 1490 has proved a great disappointment for map detail (I was one of the first to buy this unit when it came out). I really miss my 250W that I gave away soon after I bought the 1490. Despite the numerous FW updates no real progress on map detail was made. Garmin ignored all pleas about this.

Obviously I disagree with Garmin's ridiculous argument that these are 'navigation devices' as sussamb reported. When I drive I want to know what this city to the left is, or what that upcoming junction is. The 1490 is not giving even a clue of this information, keeping the driver blind about his position on the terrain. This effect can be termed 'zero awareness'.

I am not going to order the new 2460 if not convinced that some progress on this department is at least made.

Garmin's promotional screenshots of 2460 show nothing less that 'dead' images'. Nothing to deduce from that. That is why we need real screenshots before we order the device (or be cheated again).
  • Also, the few street details that do exist disappear when zooming out well before they need to. The display has a clunky cartoonish appearance rather than the crisp detailed I believe the hardware is capable of providing. I intentionally purchased a unit with the largest available screen thinking the map display would include a larger geographical area for the same zoom level.
    The lack of map detail on the 1300/1400 series has been discussed here and elsewhere at great length. I think you will find more labelled streets on the 2400 series, but can't say for sure. I have a 3790 which is also a new(er) model and Garmin made an obvious effort to show more detail in this series. Have also used a 1695 and it was similar.

Your assumption about screen size was, unfortunately, just plain wrong. The physical size of the screen has nothing to do with what it is capable of displaying. The significant spec is the screen resolution, not size. If you look at that, you'll see the Garmin's 5" models have 480x272 pixels which is exactly the same as the 4" models. So the field of view is exactly the same - pixels are just bigger.

I also had a StreetPilot 2620 and the Nuvi's are completely different beasts. They have been "dumbed down" considerably - another fact that has been discussed extensively here and elsewhere. If that's what you want, frankly none of the nuvi's will please you. Garmin's handheld models are much more similar to the old Streetpilots, but they have smaller screens and lack features like 3d view and voice guidance.