This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

340XL-S Doesn't Speak Spanish Well (in English)

mike rivers 0 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
Many annoyances, and today when driving between Phoenix and Los Angeles, it nearly drove me batty by saying Las ong-HELL-less.

There's a thread about fixing the pronunciation of "zero" or "o" in a highway number (like 405) which I've implemented and it worked fine. I wonder if I can do something like that to make it say "ann-guh-less." For reference, that thread is here. Or perhaps there's another thread I missed with a solution to the bad Spanglish. I'm using Susan since I find her easier to understand than Dave. But I'll switch to Dave and see if he does any better.

Is it my imagination or does it try to cram everything into two syllables?

Comments

• dhn 336 Points
    Have you tried renaming the cphoneme.dat file to cphonememe.old and see if that helps?
  • Have you tried renaming the cphoneme.dat file to cphonememe.old and see if that helps?
    I'm pretty sure I tried that when I was trying to fix the "zero" problem and it didn't work. This is a hard fix to test, though, since I can't think of a way to make it say "Los Angeles" without planning a short enough route that would include that in the directions, and have it run a demo. I'd reather have a fix that I can see why it works.
  • Viseguy 81 Points
    Try this (but only after you've done an Explorer, not Home, backup of your device):

Connect your TomTom to the computer. In a text editor, open a file named "roadnrEnglishUS.lex" located in subfolder DATA in folder LoquendoTTS. (Fully-qualified path and filename is "x:\LoquendoTTS\DATA\roadnrEnglishUS.lex", substituting for "x:" the actual drive letter of your TomTom.) Edit that file to add a line something like this:

"angeles" = "ang uh less"

Then save the file to your TomTom. You may have to experiment a little with the phonetic spelling. I've had pretty good luck correcting the pronunciation of location names this way.
  • mvl 191 Points
    I'd reather have a fix that I can see why it works.
    cphoneme.dat is the map's pronunciation hint file. For some weird reason, it actually makes pronunciation worse in the southwestern US. Unfortunately, the file is heavily compressed and/or encrypted, but bottom line is that no one has figured out how to edit it.

If you rename the file to cphoneme.old, the hints all go away, and Loquendo's default processing takes over. The default processing can be edited, by following viseguy's steps.