This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

about xl340TM

admirer 0 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
have 2 questions about my new xl-340TM

1. this unit looks slower than my xl-340s (which has map & softwae updated in Nov 2009), specially during rerouting. it has the latest map and softwares updated 2 weeks ago. why so and whats the solution?

2. this unit is lifetime traffic capable. how do i use that feature?

pls help.. thanks..

Comments

• dhn 336 Points
    1. The issue may be the number of pois you have selected to show on the map. The more you have, the longer to refreh the screen. More than 4 or 5 categories is probably too much.

2. Your model should have come with a combo rds-tmc/car charger. Once you plug it into the unit, the screen should say 'rds-tmc antenna conneted'. You should then see the vertical line on the right side with the symbol for attempting to grab a traffic signal (from fm).
  • thanks dhn for the reply. how can i change the poi shown in map?
  • dhn 336 Points
    Manage pois, Show on Map, check or uncheck the categories.
  • oh i guess i messed up. i sold my old xl340s and included the car cigarette adaptor cable that came with my xl340TM. i guess the traffic receiver is with that cable, right? so, m i in trouble now? i wont be able to get the traffic info? pls help guys..
  • dhn 336 Points
    The traffic reception is part of the combo charger/rds-tmc antenna.
  • mvl 191 Points
    The new app 9.056 is needed to read the traffic antenna, but has all the bloatware of the GO950 in Europe, and therefore severely slows the XL340 down.

If you don't have the traffic receiver any longer, I recommend you downgrade to app 8.415 as it is much much faster.
  • thanks mvl for the helpful tip. so if i want to get an older version of app where can i get it?
  • mvl 191 Points
    Follow the steps in the link below to remove/reinstall your application.

It will reinstall 8.415, then ask you to restart the Tomtom and install 9.056. Decline the second installation and you'll remain on 8.415.

One issue: With app 8.415, you'll lose all your favorites on the initial install, and you'll also lose your favorites each time the map updates.

http://www.tomtom.com/9091
  • thanks mvl..
    2 things:

1.what about installing version 9.022? my old 340s had that version and that unit was not slow.. which i had installed in late 2009 i guess.. does that problem with favs exist with this version too?

2. the link you gave talks about how to uninstal and reinstal the app through HOME. but if i try that way, HOME will show me the latest version of the app only right? how do i get a specific previous version?
  • I'm wondering this as well. I keep hearing to install different app versions, but where do you get the different versions?
  • dhn 336 Points
    What version were you seeking?