This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

GPS availability....FAA NOTAM......

Oem User 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Discussions
The FAA has released a NOTAM concerning the availability of the GPS signal..

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/notices/2011/Jan/GPS_Flight_Advisory_CSFTL11-01_Rel.pdf

This link will explain in much better detail and also give an affected area map.....

Wasn't sure where to post...so here it is....the admins will hopefully move and place accordingly....

Comments

• gatorguy 326 Points
    Yes, it was reported earlier today in several tech blogs. Oddly appears to be centered over the "Bermuda Triangle". :shock:

GPS users in the SouthEast US and Caribbean can expect periods of up to an hour of unreliable or unavailable gps sat reception due to tests. What type and why wasn't mentioned. Issues may be ongoing for the next several weeks.
  • I would suspect that the gps manufacturers are going to be getting more than a couple of calls from unhappy users.....wondering what the...
  • Oh, and thanx for placing the post in the appropriate forum...
  • zee 97 Points
    If my Garmin is right, then the testing time will be from 7 PM to 9:45 PM in the Eastern Time Zone.
    I can see it now.... millions of GPS dependent drivers in the SE USA getting "lost", and having to do things the "old fashioned way". Pity the companies like, Garmin and Magellan, the next morning when their phones crash from overload. Wonder what the receivers will look like while the testing is going on? No Sat signal at all, or just scrambled, or???
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Times when we've seen similar announcements before about expected possible GPS degradation... almost nobody will notice anything and those who do will only see strangeness for a second or two that otherwise wouldn't have caused a flinch. But who knows, maybe this time will be different.
  • sviking 141 Points
    Also, be sure to note the altitude "cone". Most of it will be irrelevant for ground users. Well, those not at sea in the affected area...
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    The NOTAM's (Notice to Airmen) have been expanded today. . . A LOT. I'm really curious what the deal is. The following are just some of the regions that may be affected by unreliable or non-existent gps:

ZAB ALBUQUERQUE (ARTCC),NM.
    ZDC WASHINGTON (ARTCC),DC.
    ZDV DENVER (ARTCC),CO.
    ZJX JACKSONVILLE (ARTCC),FL.
    ZLA LOS ANGELES (ARTCC)PALMDALE, CA.
    ZLC SALT LAKE CITY (ARTCC),UT.
    ZMA MIAMI (ARTCC), FL.
    ZNY NEW YORK (ARTCC) RONKONKOMA NY.
    ZOA OAKLAND (ARTCC) FREMONT,CA.
    ZTL ATLANTA (ARTCC),HAMPTON,GA.