This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Ready to throw XXL540 under the bus! Help!

DeepSnap 181 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
This nuvi 670 user decided to take advantage of the Thanksgiving Black Friday sales and bought the XXL 540 S WTE as a Christmas present to my self.

I controlled my desire to open the box upon arrival until Christmas and after doing the obligatory TomTom Home installation on the home PC, either get the Black Logo Screen of Death after the opening boing and a very rapid download screen. Then it freezes. I don't think I've ever even gotten a Menu Screen.

Is there anything I need to do? Plug it in & ignore it for a couple of hours? Go to some website (MyTomTom?) and register the serial number? Call Customer Service and ask for a Restocking Number? Go back to Garmin?

Appreciate any pearls of wisdom. The wife hates the 670 & was looking forward to my using the TomTom.

Comments

• Viseguy 81 Points
    Sounds like a lemon. Is it too late to take it back?
  • DeepSnap 181 Points
    ...I expect a restocking charge..... I'm so fed up I'm willing to eat the restocking charge & send the whole thing, the bean bag and special voice voucher back & keep my old 670.

I've got it plugged into TomTom Home hoping some overnight miracle (Santa Claus?) fixes it.

But I suspect this time tomorrow I will have called Customer Service and will be on my way to sending the aforementioned schtuff back to TT.
  • dhn 336 Points
    For starters, make an Explorer, NOT Home backup of your unit's contents. If not sure how, see here

Press the power button for about 10 seconds till you hear the drum roll. Does that help?

If not, AND you have made the backup, delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.

Then, connect to Home and accept the application offered. Install. Disconnect the unit properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon.

Any better now?
  • DeepSnap 181 Points
    Doing the WinEx Backup now.

By "If not, AND you have made the backup, delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents," do you mean everything in the root directory, EXCEPT the folders, to include everything (*.ico, *.bmp, PNDNavigator, system files, etc.) BUT the Directories?
  • dhn 336 Points
    Correct, delete anything not in a folder.......
  • DeepSnap 181 Points
    Well, that didn't work. Stuck on the Black/Red Hands of Death Log-In screen.

Tried multiple times, lather-rinse-repeat-lather-rinse-repeat-lather-rinse-repeat to get it to work, but still no basic menu.

???????????? What next?

Doing the WinEx Backup now.

By "If not, AND you have made the backup, delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents," do you mean everything in the root directory, EXCEPT the folders, to include everything (*.ico, *.bmp, PNDNavigator, system files, etc.) BUT the Directories?
  • dhn 336 Points
    Once you deleted all the loose files in the root of the unit, did you connect to Home and, if so, were you offered an application?

If so, did you download and install it?

If yes to that, did you disconnect PROPERLY from Home using the Device Disconnect icon?
  • DeepSnap 181 Points
    Yeah, I know where you're coming from.... did all that just like you wrote.

I get the "HOME is re-starting your device," and the status icon in the lower right hand corner goes from connected to unconnected.

The device just shows the boot-up black screen. "My Computer" in WinEx shows no connection for the device.

And it's as responsive as ever. Plugged. Unplugged. Unplugged. Plugged. Zero. Zip. Nada. Zilch.

??????????????????

Once you deleted all the loose files in the root of the unit, did you connect to Home and, if so, were you offered an application?

If so, did you download and install it?

If yes to that, did you disconnect PROPERLY from Home using the Device Disconnect icon?
  • dhn 336 Points
    Return it........... :(
  • DeepSnap 181 Points
    Thank you for your patience, expertise, and advice.

If you do this stuff long enough, occasionally you get a bad one, be it cars, computers, or GPS.
    Return it........... :(
  • DeepSnap 181 Points
    Very responsive and understanding - I suspect they've heard this before - and the bad unit goes back to them Monday.

We'll see how it plays out and I'll get back to this forum.
  • DeepSnap 181 Points
    ...finally got the new XXL540 S WTE in yesterday. 31 Jan - 09 Feb with a winter storm hitting DFW, then where I'm located. All in all not bad.

Did the "first thing out of the box" Windows Explorer "all files visible" backup to my desktop hardrive.

Drove to/from work today just to warm it up. Works fine.

My new question now is doing the updates in TomTom 2 Home. The North American map(s) updated fine, but now to simply overwrite the Western & Central Europe map(s), I am out of storage room and need to delete some things?

I ran into this in mid-November with my trusty old Garmin nuvi 670 and was part of the list of reasons I decided to try this one out.

Is that a work around? Some procedure I need to follow to avoid messing things up just trying to load updates? Or just buck up & live with it?

Your help would be appreciated.....
  • dhn 336 Points
    The complete European map WILL download to your computer but cannot be installed in the (4 gig) internal anymore since about half is needed for North_America and all of Europe takes 2.2 gigs.

So, Tomtom has gone to Zones that can be installed on the unit. For example, I have (on my 540 WTE) Europe_West which includes countries such as UK, Italy and France.

But, if I needed Germany, for example, I'd have to go to Home's Manage my Unit, Device tab, map, and you'll see a link for 'Change Zone'.

What happens is that Europe_West gets moved to the computer and replaced by Europe_Central (I think that's the one which includes Germany).

Candidly, I'd be inclined to trust myself and use Explorer to copy the Europe_West to the computer and then delete it from the unit before having Home install the new Zone.