This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Roadmate 3050T Question

g8toruss 0 Points
edited November -1 in Magellan Vehicle Forum
Anyone that can help wioth a question on a Magellan Roadmate 3050T?

If I enter an address, the unit plts a route and begins to give me directions. The map will show route by indicating the course on the map. Is there a way to see a text version of the proposed couse (sort of like you get with MapQuest)? I'd like to see in advance what the GPS has selected as a proposed course.

Thanks.

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    Yes, I think what you are looking for is the "Maneuver List Screen". On the map screen click 'View' which will bring up the list of turns. Clicking 'view' twice more will return to the map screen, or it will auto go back to the map screen after a few seconds.

The Maneuver List will show turn direction, distance to the next turn, and the associated street name(s).
  • Thanks! That was very helpful.

The routes that the unit suggests seem odd. I live in Orlando and as an exercise I plotted a route to my in-laws in north Tampa. The proposed route for shortest distance seems reasonable. It is a direct trek across state via backroads - that would have been my guess for shortest distance, but the shortest time was definitely not what I would think the shortest time. I really do not think that anyone familiar with the trip would have picked the route that the GPS selected.

Just found this interesting.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I'm curious where it sent you? (I lived down there for a short while and did the Tampa to Orlando I-4 trip too many times.... I hated that road.)
  • You will find that "shortest time" will use the posted speed limits. So if there are back roads with a speed limit of 50 - but stop lights and stop signs make that impossible - "Maggie" will still route you on that road if it comes up best.
  • I'm curious where it sent you? (I lived down there for a short while and did the Tampa to Orlando I-4 trip too many times.... I hated that road.)
    My in-laws live in Lutz (north Hillsborough county). To get to their house, I usually go west on I-4, north on I-75, then west on Flether (past USF campus). They live a few miles north of Bearss, off of US 41. Magellen sent me west on I-4, then north on I-275 to Bearss.

P.S. After I submitted my prior post, I chatted with my father-in-law about the two routes. He thought they were "six of one, half dozen of the other," with the diference being traffic....In his opinion, you were more likely to hit traffic on the I-4/I-275 route than the I-4/I-75 route, and the traffic would make I-4/I-275 route take longer.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Got it. Interesting. Of course that area is covered by traffic reporting services so you might be able to plan for one and subscribe to the traffic service and get alerted on the best way to go.

In my experience with Tampa traffic, I would agree with what your father-in-law said. I got hung up a few times in traffic on I-4 between 75 and 275 and would avoid that stretch when possible.

• Tim, do you have a link where traffic net coverage for other cities/location can be researched?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Yes, if you are looking for Magellan based traffic, look here at the bottom of the page. Click on the city name nearest you.
  • Yes, if you are looking for Magellan based traffic, look here at the bottom of the page. Click on the city name nearest you.
    Thanks!