This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Navigon Screws Us Again

srm 81 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
I just checked with Navigon and received the following in response to my question about map upgrades:

"Dear *********

Thank you for your e-mail. We are glad to be of assistance.

Regarding your inquiry, we regret to inform you that, as NAVIGON has left the US market on the PNA segment, we no longer offer software or map updates to US customers. Also, we can inform you that your FreshMaps subscription is still available until the 17 of January 2012, but, unfortunately, after this period you won't be able to renew your subscription.

We apologise for the inconveniences this situation might have created.
We hope we have been helpful with the information above and we are at your entire disposal for further assistance.

Sincerely,
Corinne Meyers"

Our GPS units are scheduled to become bricks, And we are supposed to recommend them for phone navigation? I think not even for garbage collector.

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    Many, if not perhaps most people seem to think that Map update useless, so I'm not sure I agree that your GPS is scheduled to become a brick. I understand the frustration if you're someone who wants and needs map updates, but your GPS will continue to work the same way. I'm actually surprised that they continued to provide map updates for as long as they did.
  • We agree with Tim. You may have a 2 year old map, but how do you know if there were any changes to areas within 500-1000 miles of you on the more current maps? We still find our 7200T to be one of the best available, so if the 4th Qtr 2010 update is the last we get, We will still trust it for at least a few years to come. It has more Lane Assist/Reality View locations than any current GPS (as they got these from a different supplier than everyone else), and has not failed us yet. I did get another brand with many of the features I loved from the Navigon at a great price, so my wife is now happily using the 7200T. The traffic has saved me from many jams.
  • Just to throw my 2 cents in on the discussion, even though our Navigon GPS units will still be usable after January of next year, I still think map updates are very important and a GPS unit without map updates is pretty useless IMO. Just to give some examples, I live in an area where there has been a lot of changes in regard to new roads being built, exit numbers changing, and route numbers changing. Also, businesses open and close all the time so that affects the POI greatly. Without updates, I could be routing myself to a gas station that no longer exists, or try to take a road that no longer exists, or get confused about an exit number or route number that recently changed. It's a shame about this because Navigon is by far my favorite GPS over all the others. I just like the layout of the maps better and I think they provide more features than the others. I'll still continue to use my Navigon through the rest of the update period, but once the updates run out, I'm going to move on to someone else. Hopefully, I'll find someone that comes close to what Navigon has offered with their units over the past several years. Again, this is all just my opinion.