This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Navigon 2100; Screen froze up. nothing worked.

homebrew1994 0 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
I bought the Navigon 2100 at the Staples Black Friday sale for $99 or $79 (I have not figured the rebates yet).

Anyway,
I messed around with it at home for a while, checking the Points of Interest (POI) and all of a sudden the screen froze up.

I could turn it on and off using the power button, but the screen would not respond. I figured that maybe the battery needed charging so I plugged it in in the car and went to sleep.

In the morning I had just a blank black screen with no response at all.

There are only two buttons, POWER and RESET

I tried the resent button (pressed with the blunted end of a toothpick) and nothing happened.

Eventually I tried pressing the Reset while holding down the Power and vice versa (holding Reset then pressing Power).

One of these combinations (sorry I don’t know which it was) made the system restart and all is well again.

I have no idea if this will happen to anyone else, or if this fix will work for you, but it did for me.

Other than that, I like the unit and will try my hand at a review later.

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    Thanks for posting this. No doubt someone else will have the same issue someday and stumble upon the solution.
  • I could turn it on and off using the power button, but the screen would not respond. I figured that maybe the battery needed charging so I plugged it in in the car and went to sleep.

In the morning I had just a blank black screen with no response at all.
    I'm curious if you ever got it to work. I heard privately that some of the Navigon 2100 units that Staples got had bad SD cards with the maps on them. Apparently all it takes is a call to Navigon to get the SD card replaced and then everything works great.

The unit looks very sharp and the graphics are excellent. The text to speech is so good it sounds recorded.

My biggest problem is its lack of POIs and I wish the sound level went a little higher. I still haven't been able to activate the free traffic feature on their web site hut I haven't been anywhere yet that had traffic info.

I still have to print the manual and read it but I sure hope there is a way to add POIs.

Are there enough Navigon users out there for Tim to create a separate Forum?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Are there enough Navigon users out there for Tim to create a separate Forum?
    Yes, hopefully later today.
  • I'm curious if you ever got it to work.
    Yep, the combination of the reset button and power button fixed it. Did not have the problem again. I have not had any probelm with the SD card.
    My biggest problem is its lack of POIs and I wish the sound level went a little higher.
    I will not argue with you there. The POIs seemed more oriented to the European market. It really does not get loud enough if I am blasting the radio.
    I still haven't been able to activate the free traffic feature on their web site hut I haven't been anywhere yet that had traffic info.
    I got it activated but so far it has not registered any traffic alerts. I even tried making a route that ran right into bad traffic.
    I wonder how it decides if it will notify you? I live in the Philly suburbs. Maybe you have to be closer to the city than I am.
    I still have to print the manual and read it but I sure hope there is a way to add POIs.
    It really is a long manual. I'll use the printers at work. :twisted:

I'd love to find a way to add all the Wawa's (a regional convenience store) and give them little icons like Burger Kings.
  • THERE IS A SITE THAT YOU CAN GO TO FOR POI'S (EG;WAWA).THE SITE IS WWW.POIFACTORY.COM .LOOK FOR WAWA UNDER THE STORE HEADING.
    PHILLY 8)
  • Thanks Philly, I'll check it.

Hey, which model do you have?
    Does your traffic work?
  • I'm not so sure that you CAN add POIs. Since I still haven't gotten around to reading the manual, I asked factory rep Blake in an e-mail about something else if there was a way to add POIs and his reply was that "they are working on it."

I finally got traffic activated but haven't really tested it. I do know that the traffic receiver is in the power cord so don't be running off of battery and expect traffic to work.
  • I OWN A MAGELLAN RM6000T.I JUST PURCHASE A NAVIGON2100 FOR MY SON IN LAW FOR X-MAS . I WAS CHECKING THE FORUMS ON ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE NAVIGON AND CAME ACROSS YOUR QUESTIONS . THAT IS THE BEST PART ABOUT THESE FORUMS PEOPLE CAN HELP EACH OTHER WITH THIER PROBLEMS .TIM ALSO KEEPS PROVIDING GOOD INFORMATION ON THE VARIOUS GPS SYSTEM'S OUT THERE.LET ME KNOW IF THE INFO I PROVIDED IS HELPFUL .
    PHILLY 8)
  • I still haven't been able to activate the free traffic feature on their web site hut I haven't been anywhere yet that had traffic info.

I got it activated but so far it has not registered any traffic alerts
    How were you able to do this, as the 2100 does NOT come with free TMC traffic. It's a 99.00 option as shown here.
  • I still haven't been able to activate the free traffic feature on their web site hut I haven't been anywhere yet that had traffic info.

I got it activated but so far it has not registered any traffic alerts

How were you able to do this, as the 2100 does NOT come with free TMC traffic. It's a 99.00
    option as shown here.
    On Black Friday, Staples had a $99 special that included free lifetime traffic as a special promotion. Unfortunately the Navigon just doesn't live up to expectations. Since I rarely drive in an area with traffic, I haven't had a chance to check that feature out.

My biggest issue besides sluggishness of inputs is lack of POIs. Their material says "thousands" compared to around 5 million for the TomTom but even there more are needed and they can be downloaded from various web sites or you can create your own. Navigon doesn't seem to think you need or want any more.
  • On Black Friday, Staples had a $99 special that included free lifetime traffic as a special promotion.
    WOW, that's an incredible deal! It's like getting the 2100 for free when you consider they sell the TMC traffic for 99.00 by itself. Staples had some really incredible Navigon deals this past year. I hope they repeat them every now and then :)
    My biggest issue besides sluggishness of inputs is lack of POIs.
    From what I understand Navigon will be addressing this in the next few weeks. I also found a way to add POI's to our 7100 and I'm pretty sure it would also work for the other models too. Toward the end of the month I maybe making a 'Navigon Tips and Tricks' thread.
  • I bought a legal CD off ebay for the 2100 (had all the Navigon copyright stuff on it) and made the 2100 just like the 5100 with about 6 million POI's plus the extra maps.

• From what I understand Navigon will be addressing this in the next few weeks. I also found a way to add POI's to our 7100 and I'm pretty sure it would also work for the other models too. Toward the end of the month I maybe making a 'Navigon Tips and Tricks' thread.
    That would be great. I bought mine because my TomTom LE cannot have a traffic adapter and if it could, it would cost more than $100 AND I'd still have to pay for traffic. I don't know how the Navigon can offer free lifetime traffic (or more precicely how everyone else is able to charge for free traffic info) but at $99 I bought it strictly for the traffic capabilities in case I ever need that.

I've actually only used it a few times since I prefer the TomTom capabilities but it is a very nice looking unit and the text to speech is great as is the graphic display.

If I used my Navigon, I would be most interested in updates to fix the sluggish responses, and the ability to add POIs. Also curious about the details of the CD bought on E-bay that virtually upgrades it to a 5100 with more maps and more POIs. I notice that it requires an SD card so I wonder if upgrading wouldn't require a larger SD card too.

The way I see it, if Navigon really gets their act together and updates the operating system so it works better and offers a full set of US and Canadian maps on their entry level system, and includes millions of POIs and has some way to easily add and import POIs, the lifetime free traffic would put some real pressure on the other companies to do the same thing. It all seems doable if they work at it.
  • I don't know how the Navigon can offer free lifetime traffic
    Navteq is one of their companies, at least for the time being. They are in the middle of selling it to Nokia. The shareholders have already approved the sale. I agree about Navigon, with a few tweaks they could be on top. Hopefully they won't choke because I really like what I see by them so far, and their pricing is getting lower and lower all the time. I've seen the 7100 sell for as little as 260.00 :shock: This puts considerable pressure on all the other companies, plus other markets like cell phones are offering GPS services too. Autopage is coming out with a GPS unit that you install in your car like a radio. Companies that charge an arm and a leg for every little thing (like Garmin) will be hurt the worst in the future. You should be seeing bigger screens, and better screens (like organic screens) sometime in the near future. I'm betting that Apple is the first to come out of the gate (this month) with laptops that use this technology, and everyone else will follow suit soon behind :)
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Navteq is one of their companies, at least for the time being.
    No, I don't think so. NAVTEQ used to run two different business divisions. One developed maps, and the other produced navigation software. NAVIGON purchased the navigation software part of NAVTEQ a little while back. While NAVIGON still purchases maps from NAVTEQ, they no longer have any business ownership of each other.

• From what I understand Navigon will be addressing this in the next few weeks. I also found a way to add POI's to our 7100 and I'm pretty sure it would also work for the other models too. Toward the end of the month I maybe making a 'Navigon Tips and Tricks' thread.

That would be great. I bought mine because my TomTom LE cannot have a traffic adapter and if it could, it would cost more than $100 AND I'd still have to pay for traffic. I don't know how the Navigon can offer free lifetime traffic (or more precicely how everyone else is able to charge for free traffic info) but at $99 I bought it strictly for the traffic capabilities in case I ever need that.

I've actually only used it a few times since I prefer the TomTom capabilities but it is a very nice looking unit and the text to speech is great as is the graphic display.

If I used my Navigon, I would be most interested in updates to fix the sluggish responses, and the ability to add POIs. Also curious about the details of the CD bought on E-bay that virtually upgrades it to a 5100 with more maps and more POIs. I notice that it requires an SD card so I wonder if upgrading wouldn't require a larger SD card too.

The way I see it, if Navigon really gets their act together and updates the operating system so it works better and offers a full set of US and Canadian maps on their entry level system, and includes millions of POIs and has some way to easily add and import POIs, the lifetime free traffic would put some real pressure on the other companies to do the same thing. It all seems doable if they work at it.
    Navigon does offer a full set of US and Canadian maps plus others, but not for the 2100.

I upgraded my maps and POI's with the 2gb card that came with the 2100. I bought a 4gb card because it's larger (for future upgrades) and faster as it's a SDHC card.

I'll PM you the info for the CD that I purchased.
  • So you're saying that Navteq split into two companies? That would explain a lot but the articles that we've read said that both divisions were included in the sale, which is confusing. Nokia will be paying 8.1 Billion dollars for the company. Both Nokia and Navteqs stock have more than doubled since Feb. In October 06 Nokia also bought gate5, a Berlin company that makes navigational software applications for cellphones. Why would Nokia do this if they already would own Navteq software division? So I'm thinking that some of the articles were incorrectly reporting the sale of both divisions. Nokia may have overpaid for Navteq, but they understand the companies real value in putting them in a better position market wise for the future. Navigation will be much different in 5 years as more and more products use the navigational chipsets. Many analyst predict that in 5-10 years there won't even be a PND market. Navigon can offer "lifetime" free traffic because they already know that "lifetime" is probably only a few years. This market is moving really fast. It will be interesting to see who ends up with Tele Atlas.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    So you're saying that Navteq split into two companies?
    Essentially, yes.
    Why would Nokia do this if they already would own Navteq software division?
    NAVTEQ doesn't have a navigation software business anymore since that part was sold to NAVIGON. I think Nokia is snapping up NAVTEQ in order to have better access to the mapping data that will be critical to their future navigation plans for their phones as well as future LBS applications.
  • Yeah that all makes perfect sense. Overseas few people want to use a GPS in their phone. For one reason its screen size is non-existent, plus they are harder to use than PND's (except for entering in addresses). Nokia is playing it smart. By the end of next year they should be in a very good position. Some of these other companies need to wake up and smell the LBS coffee. Garmins really dropping the ball, which is a shame because I really like them. I read one article which compared them to being on the Titanic and rearranging the deck chairs. One thing is for certain, in the next few years a lot of very interesting things will be happening in this market. Nokia seems to be the only company (right now) that is looking at the big picture.