This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Questions about 740 and LIVE traffic service

perkinbr 0 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
So after getting stuck in traffic jams 4 times this week, and getting limited help from my Garmin, I think it's time for a GPS upgrade.

It looks like it's possible to get a TomTom 740 with "lifetime traffic and maps," but it's not clear to me whether this is FM or LIVE traffic. I assume it's FM traffic.

It's also a bit difficult for me to determine how much it will cost for LIVE traffic subscription. I don't particularly care about the other LIVE services, but I see some information that indicates that I'll have to pay for it anyway.

Finally, I just wanted to confirm that the 740 is the way to go and that there aren't other alternatives I should be considering.

I live in South NH and commute to northern Mass.

Thanks for any help you can give.

-Brian

Comments

• dhn 336 Points
    The 740LIVE is not the rds-tmc traffic but true LIVE via an imbedded sim card in the unit.

Be advised the 740 has been pulled from TomTom's lineup just this week and many on line sellers and brick and mortar locations are running out or have already.

One frequent member here, mvl, lives in Boston and really speaks highly of the LIVE traffic feature.

So, if you are thinking of getting one, snap one up if you see it.
  • mvl 191 Points
    In my experience the Tomtom LIVE system has the best traffic routing in the Boston area right now.

You can get it on the 740LIVE, 340LIVE, and Tomtom iPhone app.

Beware that on the 740TM, the lifetime traffic is the lower-quality FM antenna traffic. You can add LIVE traffic to a 740TM, but have to pay a subscription of $10/month.
  • Its great when it works. Reliability is a whole other issue.
  • mvl 191 Points
    I've heard that the iPhone app is very reliable.

The GO 740LIVE is reliable if you downgrade to app 8.312. Newer software versions have a number of bugs.

The 340LIVE doesn't seem to be downgradable to an 8.x version.
  • That's not the version with the bluetooth reset issue?
  • mvl 191 Points
    No, the bluetooth bug was app 8.350 through 8.371. The startup reboot bug was 9.054-9.058.

The original app 8.312 on the GO 740 is surprisingly fast and stable.
  • That's probably the software that I originally had in my now dead 740. Upgrades aren't always a good idea.
  • dhn 336 Points
    Did you try downgrading back to the 8.312 application?

The link is here
  • esander3 0 Points
    How do you downgrade the software?

I have a Go 930 that I love, which inspired me to buy a 2nd TomTom and I got the Go 740 Live TM and have had nothing but problems with it. I even had it replaced by TomTom, but it still freezes up and reboots.

I would be interested in rolling back my software if it fixes the problem. Thanks.

Ed
  • dhn 336 Points
    1. Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of the 740's contents.
    2. Delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.
    3. Download the 8.312 application from the link in my previous post.
    4. Use WinRar to extract the files in the link to the unit, overwriting existing files if prompted.
  • mvl 191 Points
    Note that you cannot use the lifetime FM traffic cord on the earlier firmware.

You can use the cord from your 930 and it will work fine. LIVE (modem) traffic will work with the cord, assuming you have an active subscription.