This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Google Maps vs. Navteq

edited November -1 in GPS Discussions
Hey there!

First off, forgive my ignorance if I posted this in the wrong area. I thought it would be the most fitting location based on the description.

I have a question regarding the mapping systems. A while back, I was discussing Garmin's upcoming 2011.40 map update and how I personally looked forward to it as I hoped a new ramp would be installed in my area.

Just out of curiosity, I played around on Google Maps on my iPod Touch, looked around and, much to my shock, the ramp was on their grid...but no one else's (yet).

Is this because Google Maps is in the cloud, where they can get updated access at any time, or do they have another source of information? I'm just curious. I know of GPS features and how they work, but I still am learning the fine art of map making.

I thank you all for your time.

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    Google stated with a basemap and is updating it themselves with their own data sources. Garmin uses NAVTEQ (a digital mapping company) for their maps. Most GPS companies in North America use either NAVTEQ or Tele Atlas for their digital maps. They typically release new maps to their customers (such as the GPS companies) four times per year.

So a change could make it to Google's servers faster-- but you can also find decades old errors in their maps (as well as the other suppliers too) so just because it is in the cloud doesn't necessarily mean it will be faster.
  • From my reading, Garmin's newest maps are at least 6 months behind (2-3 months on Navteq processing the maps and another 2-3 months for Garmin) for major roadways, and even longer an smaller streets.
    Probably similar on Tele Atlas.

Google's updates go "live" as soon as they are entered.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Yes, but if they still have streets wrong that were built decades ago that doesn't matter much. :)
  • ...and if it's any consolation, Mapquest = Navteq. Considering the popularity of Mapquest, that's a pretty good endorsement AFAIC. :)
  • CynicX 0 Points
    From my reading, Garmin's newest maps are at least 6 months behind (2-3 months on Navteq processing the maps and another 2-3 months for Garmin) for major roadways, and even longer an smaller streets.
    Probably similar on Tele Atlas.

This may be true I dont know. But for my area (Maryland) Navteq is light years beyond Teleatlas. Teleatlas is up to date but has SO MANY errors its nearly useless to me a lot of the time.
  • ...and if it's any consolation, Mapquest = Navteq. Considering the popularity of Mapquest, that's a pretty good endorsement AFAIC. :)
    Are you saying that Navteq provides the maps for Mapquest? If so, that's very intriguing.

Their map updated a few weeks ago showing the ramp as on the grid...and accurately.

Again, thanks for the heads up. :)