This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

2350LMT - My first impressions

It all started when I realized I needed a map update for my 755T a few months ago. After poking around a bit, I saw that a number of new Garmin units were about to be released "any day now" (this was back in November).

As the owner of a Garmin 755T, proceeded by a Garmin 350, (not to mention Garmin GNS 430W in aircraft I fly) I knew I was generally pleased with the Garmin units. I decided I liked the size of the 4.3 inch units, which lead me to the 2350LMT.

I've had the new unit for three days now, and have used it side by side with my 755T. Other reviews of the 2350 are starting to show up on the web, but I wanted to note some differences from the 755T.

First off, the unit is lighter and thinner. Overall, I like that. The new car adapter has the traffic receiver a few inches up the cable from the adapter end, which reduces the size of the connector which fits into the outlet. I like that too.

The UI has been polished a bit. The maps have better, less cartoony colors for water and other features. I noticed that railroads are now displayed. Not sure if that is a feature of the unit, or the maps, which are two years newer. The map display seems to have a higher granularity than the 755T. individual lanes are more often displayed. If you activate the option to show your track, the track going to work is offset from the track on the same road driving home, for example.

The speech seems almost identical between units.

The 2350 seems slightly faster in screen re-draws than the 755T.

Traffic information on the 2350 seems to be received in shorter intervals than with the 755T. I'd say I had traffic info within a minute of starting up, whereas it often took four or five minutes with the 755T.

The unit made two routing differences right off the bat on my daily commute compared to the 755T. Both are very simple, but already approximated the "better" route, based on the way I drive. I'm anxious to see how the ability to learn my driving habits changes things.

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase. It isn't a huge leap forward from the 755T, but it has just enough difference (plus the newer maps) that I'm happy. I've already got a buyer for my old unit lined up too.

If anyone has a specific question, I'll try to find an answer.

John

Comments

• Boyd 1999 Points
    Nice report - thanks for posting! I assume you are talking about myTrends with regard to learning your driving habits? According to Garmin, for this to work you need to be navigating to one of your favorites. That will cause the unit to notice where you typically go at different times of the day and suggest the best route.
  • Nice report - thanks for posting!
    Thanks.
    I assume you are talking about myTrends with regard to learning your driving habits? According to Garmin, for this to work you need to be navigating to one of your favorites. That will cause the unit to notice where you typically go at different times of the day and suggest the best route.
    Yes, I am referring to the Garmin myTrends feature here.

I am curious why it made a tiny routing change on my route home when it was the very first time I had entered that destination from that starting point on this device. Basically, the street where I live is a semi-circle that is intersected in two places by a slightly busier road. Imagine the US Cent symbol ¢.

The 755T used to direct me to turn off the main road at the first intersection even though my house is closer to the second intersection. The 2350 now suggested the second intersection.
  • sussamb 829 Points
    Probably due to a newer map version rather than myTrends. My 1490 took me a different way home after the last map update, and chose the route I always used.
  • Boyd 1999 Points
    Do you have trafficTrends enabled? Turn it off, and you will probably see the same kind of routing you got on the 755. The unit uses a database of historical traffic data to make routing decisions, and it often leads to rather "goofy" routes...
  • I just unboxed mine a couple hours ago. I got the basic 2350 as I don't live in a very large city to need the traffic.

Boyd, you asked if the other member had the traffictrends enabled. But I don't see this option in my settings.

I am taking the time now to program a bunch of locations into my favorites in the hopes this feature will be a nice addition. Once I do a bit of driving around I will report back and might just write a review.
  • t923347 532 Points
    Your unit should have traffictrends. You should be able to enable or disable it from Tools - Settings - Navigation - nuRoute - trafficTrends
  • Many thanks.
    I couldn't find those options for anything.
  • Do you have trafficTrends enabled? Turn it off, and you will probably see the same kind of routing you got on the 755. The unit uses a database of historical traffic data to make routing decisions, and it often leads to rather "goofy" routes...
    Yeah, I'm starting to notice this. I have the Nuvi 2360 and have been trying to decide whether to use the Nuroutes/Traffic functionality or just turn it all off for faster recalculations.

I've had a situation where the Nuroutes picked a smarter route, but then I'll have another situation where it makes a goofy choice. I'm kind of leaning towards turning it all off because I understand how the Nuvi *thinks* with it all turned off and I can compensate for it.
  • Can you tell me which is better? - Nuvi 1450LMT or Nuvi 2350LMT