This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Error message connecting XL340 & TomTom Home

DarrylJ 0 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
I get a popup box with an error message when I connect my unit and start TomTom Home (ver. 2.8)

I'm attaching the details, since it means absolutely nothing to me.

I did try removing the map from the device, since the error seems to relate to an issue with Illinois, but then my only option appears to be to purchase a new map -- and I've already paid for a year's subscription to the maps, so that option isn't going to fly.

Here is the detail error message. I hope someone can inform me what it means -- and more importantly, what I can do about it.

ERROR: Internal/Malformed#createItemFromDLL/Internal/Malformed: Exception: We're sorry, but HOME can't complete that task. Please try again later, or contact customer support. For problems with items that are stored on your device, we advise you to remove and re-install the item.
Malformed Item info:
name = USA, Canada & Mexico
id = USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P
version = 840.2568
locationType = 1251
metadata =

Severity: 1105
-
Internal/Malformed: Malformed: We're sorry, but HOME can't complete that task. Please try again later, or contact customer support. For problems with items that are stored on your device, we advise you to remove and re-install the item.
Bad character in alpha
Bad value: "USA IL Illinois" (type: string)
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/logic/model/ttItemFactory.js:43
let wrapper = new Exception(null, newId);
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/model/ttItemFactory.js:90
var modelitem = this.createItemFromDLL(dllitem, onlyType);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/model/ttItemList.js:56
var models = gApplication.itemFactory.createItemListFromDLL(dllItemList, onlyType);
3. chrome://tthome/content/ui/subtask/manageItems/manageItems.js:64
localItems.addItemListFromDLL(gApplication.homeServices.localNavItems());
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:79
return func.apply(obj, arguments);
5. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:776
} catch (e) {

CAUSE: Internal/Malformed: Malformed: We're sorry, but HOME can't complete that task. Please try again later, or contact customer support. For problems with items that are stored on your device, we advise you to remove and re-install the item.
Bad character in alpha
Bad value: "USA IL Illinois" (type: string)
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/logic/serverinput.js:91
throw new Malformed("Bad character in alpha", uc);
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:79
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/serverinput.js:197
arrayOut.push(itemCheckFunction(arrayIn));
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/model/subtype/ttMap.js:144
this._coveredRegions = makeSafe.list(xml.region, makeCallback(makeSafe, makeSafe.alpha));
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/model/ttNavItem.js:317
this.importFromXML(xml);
5. chrome://tthome/content/logic/model/subtype/ttMap.js:158
ttNavItem.prototype.importFromDLL.apply(this, arguments);
6. chrome://tthome/content/logic/model/ttItemFactory.js:39
result.importFromDLL(item);
7. chrome://tthome/content/logic/model/ttItemFactory.js:90
var modelitem = this.createItemFromDLL(dllitem, onlyType);
8. chrome://tthome/content/logic/model/ttItemList.js:56
var models = gApplication.itemFactory.createItemListFromDLL(dllItemList, onlyType);
9. chrome://tthome/content/ui/subtask/manageItems/manageItems.js:64
localItems.addItemListFromDLL(gApplication.homeServices.localNavItems());
10. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:79
11. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:776
} catch (e) {

Time: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 23:49:43 GMT

Thanks in advance,
--
Darryl

Comments

• Since the error is related to the map. Removing it is the best bet. But call customer support so that they can add a map to your account to redownload.
  • dhn 336 Points
    It's a faulty error in the latest Home version. You can simply X the error message every time it appears and things will proceed (until the next error message, X again....).

Another thing:

The error is a result of Home digging into what's installed and having an issue with a map (probably an earlier version once downloaded) This one:
    USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P
    version = 840.2568

If you do have that in the
    C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\ folder, then move it to another location and the error will probably no longer occur.
  • Thank you. I moved the apparently offending map to another location and restarted both the GPS and Home. I still got the error message (although I did not bother to check the detailed message) but clicking the "OK" button seemed to let me carry on with the map update.

As an aside, does this mean that I could move all, or all but the last, of the *large* map update files from the ...\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\maps? I have an external USB drive that I could store these files on if they were ever needed again, but my main drive is getting reasonably full and it would make a difference if I could remove these old files.

Thanks again for your help. Is it safe to assume that TomTom is aware of the problem with this version of Home?

--
    Darryl
  • dhn 336 Points
    You can store all the cab files somewhere (usb drive, dvd, etc.)

Being aware is one thing. Doing something about it is quite another .... :cry:
  • I entered some information regarding this error message here:

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/21726/x/p1/