Can you update maps with Magellan Roadmate 1200 ???
  • I am completely new to GPS purchasing.

The clerk at Circuit City told me you can never update the maps in the Magellan Roadmate 1200.....is this true?

The price is only $124.99 and it only lasts for another 1 1/2 hours today.

Any clarification on this would be greatly appreciated.
  • Tim

The clerk at Circuit City told me you can never update the maps in the Magellan Roadmate 1200.....is this true?

No, that isn't true. Sometimes I wonder where they come up with half of the stuff they say. :roll:
  • For a first time buyer (that just wants the basics), how would I purchase future updated maps?
  • Tim
    Register your device with Magellan and they will typically send out an email when new maps are available for your device. They generally make them available once per year.
  • How are the new maps installed (from a cd into your pc via usb cable, card insterted in the GPS, etc.)......I told you I was new to GPS!

Thanks.
  • Tim
    Typically a CD into your computer will install the maps to your device while it is cinnected via USB. You got it right.😃
  • Do you know if the Magellan 1200 comes with the USB cable?
  • Tim
    I believe it does. The only reason I don't know for sure is because the one I have was handed to me as a bag of the parts at a tradeshow. If it doesn't come with one it is often the same USB to mini USB as comes with many digital cameras so you might already have one if it doesn't come with one.
  • Your help - on such short notice - has been unbelievable. One last question to bother you with: my Circuit City store is only open for another 45 minutes and the sale price ends today.

For a first-time buyer that just wants the basics, is the Magellan Roadmate 1200 a good product/price? Or should I wait and see if something like a TomTom One 3rd edition goes on sale for a similiar price....even though I don't think it will ever go down to $124.

Thanks again.
  • Tim
    It isn't a bad choice for the price.
  • Tim said:

I believe it does. The only reason I don't know for sure is because the one I have was handed to me as a bag of the parts at a tradeshow. If it doesn't come with one it is often the same USB to mini USB as comes with many digital cameras so you might already have one if it doesn't come with one.

I purchased it from CC. It does not come with a USB cable, but I can confirm that I can connect it to the computer using my mini USB camera cable.

Dirk
  • tomj03

Maybe he's thinking of MapShare a la TomTom ?😞ry:
    If you used the term BUY/Upgrade maybe he would be less confused.
    My rule: Do the homework, wait for the sale, buy and leave, never ask + discuss anything with salesmen. Never let them talk me into buying Prolonged Warranty.
↑ Top

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!