This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

1490t Volts ?

Need to replace cig plug, what is the voltage from cig lighter plug to the 1490t ?
is it 5V or 12V

Comments

• sussamb 655 Points
    5v, 12v will fry your nuvi!
  • Beg to differ I use my Nuvi regularly in trucks with 24v output without any problems. if you look at the small print on the "Garmin" Power lead you will see it is dual 12v/24v rated.

BMcL
  • sussamb 655 Points
    Don't think you read the OPs post properly :roll:

He's talking about whether his nuvi runs DIRECTLY off 12v and, as I said, that will fry the nuvi :twisted:

Incidentally so would 24v :evil:
  • Don't think i did misunderstand, the cigar lighter outputs 12v or 24v the change is made in theoutput voltage by the power cord as long as he used a genuine "Garmin" plug there would be no problem as it would step it down to the correct output voltage.
  • sussamb 655 Points
    OK ...

He says he needs to replace the 'plug', he asks if the voltage FROM the plug is 5v or 12v. The answer is 5v.

Simples.

I agree a genuine Garmin cable steps the voltage down to 5v, but that wasn't his question, and in any case it still makes the answer 5v.
  • Whatever!!! :twisted:
  • sussamb...you tried. Some folks listen but don't hear, read but don't understand. :(
  • rus 0 Points
    I guess I don't listen, read well either.

1. Why would anyone need to replace it?
    2. If it is dead than isn't there a fuse that needs replacing?
    3. If it was stepped on and is broken shouldn't the owner buy a new Garmin power cable for the cigar lighter?

MY first read was the poster's female cigar lighter receptacle went bad; not his Garmin plug. If the plug needs replacing and the fuse is not open than a new Garmin power unit is needed.

4. Where do you ever buy a 5V male cigar plug?
    Isn't the voltage step down voltage regulator part of the Garmin 12V power cable?

Me dumb!!!

:roll: :wink: :lol:
  • kenp 92 Points
    Where is the voltage regulator physically located? In the cigarette lighter plug? Somewhere else in the cable?

If it's in the plug and it's ruined, he can always pick up a 7805 while buying a new plain plug.

Ken
  • rus 0 Points
    Isn't the 7805 just an electronic chip? How is one to know what do do with it if her/she is not an electronics engineer?

It's best to replace the fuse or buy a new power cable.
    :D
  • sussamb 655 Points
    OP will need to confirm it but we've had this before where folks think it's just a standard plug and a cord, so it supplies 12v ... it doesn't. As many have pointed out, just buy another cord if it's broken, but they can be expensive compared to a standard plug so I can see what the OP was thinking ... but it won't work. Neither does hard wiring to the vehicles 12v wiring as some have suggested in the past :twisted:
  • Need to replace cig plug, what is the voltage from cig lighter plug to the 1490t ?
    is it 5V or 12V
    Alfred said he needed to replace the plug.

The Garmin male cig plug adapter plugs into the female cig receptacle on the vehicle. The large plug adapter contains the step-down circuitry necessary to convert from vehicle voltage to the approx. 5VDC the GPS requires. As mentioned earlier, that can be 12/24 VDC input (to the adapter).

As I read from my cig adapter in front of me now, the specs are:

Input: 10-30 VDC, 1 Amp (max)
    Output: 4.75-5.25 VDC 1.0 Amp
    Fuse specs: 1 Amp/250 VAC

Therefore, answering Alfred's question, the voltage output from the plug to the 1490t is approx. 5 VDC
  • sussamb 655 Points
    Think that's what I said at the beginning of this post :D

but thanks for clarifying it for everyone :lol:
  • popej 57 Points
    I can add, that output plug is mini-USB, which use 5V as a standard. Garmin plug has non standard internal connection so it is not easy to find working equivalent. Easier to buy original one.

Using 7805 for this application is a bad idea, it will get quite hot. Easier would be to buy whole supply for usb device and replace wire and plug with original from defective unit. Supply should deliver up to 1A, which is above the common value for mini-USB.
  • Thank you all, I'm in my 80s don't think as fast as i used to, have lots of power cords from other things, so I thought If I know the voltage I might be able to use one that I have, see now I have to buy a Garmin cord.
    AL
  • sussamb 655 Points
    No problem, we're here to help :D
  • popej 57 Points
    One remark more ;)

In 1490t car power supply include TMC receiver. This will be more expensive part than simple supply. And it contains all TMC subscriptions you bought, buying an new one you will have to pay for subscriptions again. I suggest to call Garmin support and ask about repair.

But check the fuse first, this you can replace yourself :)
  • Think that's what I said at the beginning of this post :D

but thanks for clarifying it for everyone :lol:
    sussamb, YOU explained it very well the first time. :)