This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

how to best hardwire TN765t

vactor 0 Points
edited November -1 in Motorola MotoNav
i want to install my tn765t on my motorcycle, which of course, does not have a cigarette lighter. any ideas on how best to wire it in? will i lose the traffic funtion if i do not use the (too) long oem power wire? any suggestions?

Comments

• i want to install my tn765t on my motorcycle, which of course, does not have a cigarette lighter. any ideas on how best to wire it in? will i lose the traffic funtion if i do not use the (too) long oem power wire? any suggestions?
    The power cord contains the traffic antenna so you will lose traffic if you don't use it. Other than that, the power cord must be used to transform your 12VDC bike power to the 5VDC USB spec the unit runs on. Any USB power cord will work, if it puts out enough amps (otherwise it won't keep it charged), but I believe your best bet would be to find a war to hide the long power cord. This way, you know you'll have the correct charging amps and still have traffic.

Regarding your bike, I added a 12VDC outlet right to the ignition circuit through the fuse box. I fused my line so if I goofed, I wouldn't take down the circuit fuse I was hooked to. There is almost always an AUX location in the fuse box you can tap, or you can tie into an existing circuit (you don't need much juice for the Motonav!). I added a 2-port outlet that I mounted under the seat (out of sight) in case I wanted to plug in something else, like a bike dryer, ipod, etc.

Hope this helps!
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I had a big, long reply to the OP's question but TL beat me in posting.

I agree that installing a 12v port on the bike is the best way to go. I have a fairing on my bike and it was easy to install a marine-grade 12v port. It has a special twist locking plug and snap down cover when nothing is plugged in to keep weather out. I have never used my TN765 on the bike, only Garmin units.

It's my belief that the TMC receiver is in the TN765 cradle. (on another forum the 12v plug was taken apart and only voltage reducing components were found) BUT - 12v must be applied through the small, round plug on the rear that is normally used (and not through the USB port) with the standard 12v power cord. I have experimented with applying 12v power with different power supplies. If you watch the system settings and apply and remove power you can see the TMC receiver come on and off in the settings, and frequency scanning starts and stops. Go to Settings>System>About>More and scroll down until you see RDS Receiver Available, TMC Present, TMC frequency page.

Now, as TL mentioned the antenna is another question/problem. While I see that I am getting signal without any long antenna as the gps does scan and sees RDS data. Unfortunately I live in an area where there is no traffic data that works with my Moto so I don't get any reports. (I do with my Navigons and Garmins though) Not having the gps enclosed inside a metal tin can (car/truck) the long antenna may not be all that important on a motorcycle.

So, find the correct fitting plug to insert into the cradle and use a power cord/plug that will step down the voltage reaching the TN765 to 5.0v-5.4v you should be OK. There are plenty of cell phone power cords that will do that. Finding a plug that fits and/or stays in snug is probably the biggest problem you face. Finding a Motorola branded cord would be where I would start. According to the manual max voltage to the gps is 1750 mA.

And when you come to the bottom line accurate Traffic data is hit or miss and many don't even use it. When you are on two wheels and hit a traffic jam don't you just "white line" and keep on going? :lol: :wink: :roll:

As always, "Your mileage may vary" and proceed at your own risk.
  • vactor 0 Points
    going onto my Buell 1125cr. i got this plug adapter from amazon, http://www.amazon.com/BikeMaster-Batt-ADAPTER-EUROPEAN-TC-6662GA/dp/B0031793W0 and will wire that into an outlet on the fuse box and use the motorola oem cig adapter on that ... i will keep u updated!!

• Spyder63 331 Points
    That looks like a very good solution. How much was it? Also still wondering how you will mount the TN765 on the bike? RAM mount with a Garmin ball would work, but as secure as the cradle seems to be holding the gps I would try to attach some small "safety line" directly to the gps. I've had my Garmin pop out of the supposed locked mount while going down the road and fortunately it landed on my tank and pulling my legs in kept it from sliding off. :shock: After that I devised a safety line.

The one I used (fairing mount) is by Marinco (about $23.00). In case anyone is interested here it is. Handier to plug/unplug and twist-n-lock plug. My 2 cyl. SilverWing vibrates a bit more than my GoldWing.
  • That looks like a very good solution. How much was it? Also still wondering how you will mount the TN765 on the bike? RAM mount with a Garmin ball would work, but as secure as the cradle seems to be holding the gps I would try to attach some small "safety line" directly to the gps. I've had my Garmin pop out of the supposed locked mount while going down the road and fortunately it landed on my tank and pulling my legs in kept it from sliding off. :shock: After that I devised a safety line.

The one I used (fairing mount) is by Marinco (about $23.00). In case anyone is interested here it is. Handier to plug/unplug and twist-n-lock plug. My 2 cyl. SilverWing vibrates a bit more than my GoldWing.
    In the case of his Buell, suction cup mount on the tank? the MotoNav mount has plenty of adjustment for viewing?
    I agree about the tether - really good idea for a bike - not only for reasons of losing the GPS, but also safety.