The 'Mark Viewed' options have been temporarily disabled due to a performance issue.

Things to know before purchasing a Motoextras subscription

dhave 0 Points
edited November -1 in Motorola MotoNav
If you plan to pay for a subscription to the Motoextras Service Bundle, which provides Google Search and Google Search Send-to-GPS features, here are a few things you should be aware of.

(1) If, on the Motoextras website, you have previously registered a different TN765(t) unit under your username, you should create a new profile using a different username and e-mail address. The Motoextras system doesn't reliably recognize different devices.

(2) When you enter your serial number for the device for which you want to buy a subscription, you may have to omit the initial character (a "1", in my case) if the serial number is too long for the space provided.

(3) If you use a U.S.-based credit card, your transaction may be flagged and, possibly, rejected by your credit card company. In my case, American Express sent me an e-mail message right away alerting me to the attempted charge. I had to phone them to O.K. the charge. This happens because the company that processes the charge is located in Hungary.

(4) When you log onto Toolbox, be sure to use the same username and password that you used when you purchased the subscription.

Assuming the charge is approved by your credit card company and the vendor, the license should come through right away.

If it doesn't, summon all the patience you can, as it may take you several weeks to get your license. In my case, I waited 15 days, and I never received the license in spite of many calls to lower-level and level 3 support agents. I finally started from scratch with a new username and new e-mail address. This worked just fine.

When I finally got a promised callback just now from a Level 3 support guy, I told him what I had done and requested a refund for my earlier purchase. He said he would initiate that. Earlier in the day, though, I logged on to my AmEx account and challenged the charge from the original purchase. One way or the other, I'm confident I'll get my money back eventually. My main concert at this point was to get a valid license for Motoextras, which I use a lot.

Comments

• Excellent info. I had been following your thread on the Moto-corporate forum and feel you pain (and appreciate your patience!).

Thanks for sharing this as I'm sure others will face the same dilemma. You've probably just saved some folks a lot of grief! :)
  • dhave 0 Points
    Excellent info. I had been following your thread on the Moto-corporate forum and feel you pain (and appreciate your patience!).

Thanks for sharing this as I'm sure others will face the same dilemma. You've probably just saved some folks a lot of grief! :)
    I hope so. I'm still amazed that Motorola never was able to fix my problem. Oh, well.

Here's another item to add to the list above:

(5) After using Toolbox to install the license, disconnect your device from your computer. Wait for the device to boot up, then check Main Menu / Settings / System / Motoextras / Motoextras Usage / Subscription Status. There you should see a new expiration date corresponding with your purchase.

NOTE: Actually, you'll very likely have *two* new expiration dates. One seems to represent your previous expiration date plus one year (or three years, if you bought the longer subscription). The other is your date of purchase (or installation?) plus one or three year(s). In my case, there's an 11-day difference between these two expiration dates. I assume the later date is the real expiration date. At least I hope so.

Moondog151 has been working on this expiration date discrepancy. He'll be our guinea pig, since I think he said his one-year subscription expires -- on two different dates! -- in a couple of months.
  • Spyder63 216 Points
    Moondog151 has been working on this expiration date discrepancy. He'll be our guinea pig, since I think he said his one-year subscription expires -- on two different dates! -- in a couple of months.
    As am I - 2 different expiration dates in July, 8 days apart.
  • dhave 0 Points
    Since two weeks had passed since I had been promised a refund from Motorola, I sent a quick e-mail message to the Level 3 tech guy who had helped me. He wrote back saying that my case was still being dealt with!

I told him that I had asked American Express to look into the charge, since I had never received the item that I purchased on March 1, 2011. He said he would try to expedite my request, and that I should hear soon from someone in "corporate."

Indeed, this morning (March 31) I got a call from someone in the customer advocacy department of Motorola. She asked me to send documentation of my original purchase and she would try to get a refund.

I sent a copy of the invoice to her. She wrote back saying it would be several weeks before a refund could be issued.

Wow!

I'm just glad Motorola doesn't run nuclear reactors. How have they ever stayed in business this long?
  • Spyder63 216 Points
    At least she didn't say "the check is in the mail". :lol: At least you can take some consolation from the fact that your money/loan is not earning them more than about .25% interest. :roll:
  • dhave 0 Points
    Actually, I somehow feel sorry for Motorola. Though they've been around since the 1930s, I just don't see how they can survive with their present support structure. It seems as if the different support teams are isolated from one another, with communications between them absurdly slow. We've seen the same sort of structural problems with they way've they've handled their attempts to enter the GPS market. Talking to their support people, I've felt as if I was dealing with a company stuck in the 1960s or something. They *really* need to do some streamlining of their procedures. When you enter their customer support network, it's like getting into a spider's web. There are tech and electronics companies out there that are much, much more nimble.

It's a shame, since they clearly have some talented designers and engineers. But they behave as if they're have a monopoly, the way AT&T did in the bad old days. In fact, though, they're attempting to play in some of the most competitive markets there are (cell phones, tablets, and so on).

After my experiences with their customer and tech support groups, I would never even consider a cell phone or tablet made by Motorola. That's a shame since the nicest basic cell phone I ever owned was a Motorola TracFone I bought about six years ago. Like the TN765t, it had a solid feel and was beautifully engineered. Most other basic cell phones I've tried seem like toys by comparison.