This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

GO730 Maps on a GO 740/750

Albinoni 0 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
I might be upgrading to a Tom Tom Go 740 or 750 and would like to know if the maps from the GO 730 will work on the GO 740 or 750.

Thanks

Comments

• dhn 336 Points
    Sorry, maps are locked to the device they're initially installed on.
  • Albinoni 0 Points
    Ok but cant I restore the backup ive done from my GO730 to the GO74/750
  • Tim 1480 Points
    You could-- but the maps wouldn't work and the GPS might not even work with the incorrect software. ;)
  • Albinoni 0 Points
    Ok reason here is that my GO730 is completely stuffed, dead logic board would prob cost more to fix than to buy a new GPS, but my GO730 had Australia/NZ Maps and also worldwide maps, you see its the worldwide maps that I want, will save a alot than to buy all new worldwide maps.

Unless I buy another GO730.

My other option is to get a logic board off Ebay or where ever for the GO 730 and get it fixed.

This GPS has been nothing but a lemon from day one, dont get me wrong I love Tom Tom and their maps and as a GPS overall but I got a Lemon. it has been in and out of service for almost 4 times now and finally the logic board went and died. In some ways I am very reluctant to buy another Tom Tom but my soft spot is telling me do.

Its now out of warranty but I will be writing to the manager of Tom Tom Australia a nice and decent letter asking or seeing what they can do to help me out, just have to wait and see.
  • mvl 191 Points
    Even another GO730 won't work. The maps are locked to the serial number of the Tomtom (which is probably on some chip on the logic board).

You may be able to get Tomtom to agree to activate your purchased maps on a new device. It's not their policy to do so, but as you have a documented trail of device failures, a phone rep might be forgiving.