The 'Mark Viewed' options have been temporarily disabled due to a performance issue.

How to do a screen calibration on a Nuvi 255W

I want to know how to do a screen calibration on a Nuvi 255 W

Comments

• Marc 191 Points
    The following is from
    home.comcast.net/~ghayman3/garmin.gps/page10.htm
    which seems to have a nice series of tips and tricks for Nuvis. I cannot attest to the accuracy of the information.

For the 2x5 series
    Calibrating the Screen
    1. Turn off the nüvi.
    2. Hold the upper-left comer of the screen white turning on the nüvi
    3. Release the power key when the Garmin screen appears.
    4. Continue to hold the upper-left corner of the touch screen for 30 seconds until a white screen with "Press dot" appears.
  • Marzipan 0 Points
    Calibrating the touch screen is described on page 41 of the owner's manual. It's useful to have a copy of this (and other manuals) downloaded to the hard drive.
  • Boyd 1281 Points
    The nuvi 2x5 series has a built-in help feature. Press Menu > Tools > Help > Troubleshooting > Touch Screen Not Responding
  • flhtc08 0 Points
    Thanks for your help :D
  • sussamb 163 Points
    The nuvi 2x5 series has a built-in help feature. Press Menu > Tools > Help > Troubleshooting > Touch Screen Not Responding
    So does the 13xx and 14xx series. Interestingly after the last FW update (5.0, haven't bothered with 5.1) I've noticed in the top right of some of the screens you now get a ? icon, tapping this brings up help for that screen. It may be that this was always there and my old eyes hadn't spotted it before, but I think it's a new feature. Previously you accessed troubleshooting as Boyd explains.
  • Marzipan 0 Points
    Touch Screen not Responding - I doubt the on-board help would be accessible. :D

That reminds me of when I put my 255W in my pocket so it can track me on a 2 hour ski. I turn the screen brightness down to 10% before I leave to make the battery last. The trouble is that en route in bright sunshine I can't read the screen to turn up the brightness to mark a way point or check my location.
  • sussamb 163 Points
    Do what I do, turn your body so the nuvi is in shade :wink: :roll:
  • Boyd 1281 Points
    On the 2x5, just slide the switch to the lock position. That will cause the brightness to be reduced and also prevent unwanted screen taps from causing problems. :)
  • Marzipan 0 Points
    On the 2x5, just slide the switch to the lock position. That will cause the brightness to be reduced and also prevent unwanted screen taps from causing problems. :)
    So it does! Thirty seconds after moving the switch to lock, the screen dims.

On a snow covered lake in full sunshine I've squinted at the 10% screen - shielded in the darkened recess of my jacket - trying to navigate to the screen brightness adjuster. So now I know that I don't have to dim the screen before tucking it into my pocket. Thanks Boyd.