This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

TomTom 340s -- need help

sing 0 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
When I update Home latest version, it mess up my TomTom. I found the files under \bin directory changed to total around 500G. The problem is I lost my backup and now the system could turn on. Can any one help send me files under \bin? It should be pretty small files.

Thanks

Comments

• dhn 336 Points
    When you say it doesn't turn on, do you mean it won't start whatsoever or it just doesn't boot to the driving screen?

If it does at least get to the splash screen, you can make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.

Then, connect to Home and a new application will be offered. Accept and install.

If I've misunderstood your situation, can you clarify please?
  • sing 0 Points
    Sorry for not clear. Right now the GPS can't boot up to the driving screen.
    I can boswse the content by Explorer and found a lot of files sized around 1.6g each under \bin\. I can't backup or copy any of those files because they were damage in somehow. When I used TomTom backup, it ask me over 500g of hard drive space for backup. I lost my good backup files when I reinstall my pc.So, I wonder if anyone can send me those files under \bin\.

If you can, please give me the backup directory name when using TomTom backup software. such as 720GO for TomTom GO 720 model. It may help if I need to run restore software.

Thanks.
  • dhn 336 Points
    Something certainly is wrong if indeed you are seeing many files of a size of 1.6 GIGS.

When you look at the contents of the unit using Explorer, do you see a USA_Canada map file? It should contain files similar to these:
    cline.dat
    cname.dat
    cnode.dat
    cphoneme.dat
    crpoi.dat
    cspeech_AK.dat
    cspeech_AL.dat
    cspeech_AR.dat
    cspeech_AZ.dat
    cspeech_CA.dat
    cspeech_CAN.dat
    cspeech_CO.dat
    cspeech_CT.dat
    cspeech_DC.dat
    cspeech_DE.dat
    cspeech_FL.dat
    cspeech_GA.dat
    cspeech_HI.dat
    cspeech_IA.dat
    cspeech_ID.dat
    cspeech_IL.dat
    cspeech_IN.dat
    cspeech_KS.dat
    cspeech_KY.dat
    cspeech_LA.dat
    cspeech_MA.dat
    cspeech_MD.dat
    cspeech_ME.dat
    cspeech_MI.dat
    cspeech_MN.dat
    cspeech_MO.dat
    cspeech_MS.dat
    cspeech_MT.dat
    cspeech_NC.dat
    cspeech_ND.dat
    cspeech_NE.dat
    cspeech_NH.dat
    cspeech_NJ.dat
    cspeech_NM.dat
    cspeech_NV.dat
    cspeech_NY.dat
    cspeech_OH.dat
    cspeech_OK.dat
    cspeech_OR.dat
    cspeech_PA.dat
    cspeech_PRI.dat
    cspeech_RI.dat
    cspeech_SC.dat
    cspeech_SD.dat
    cspeech_TN.dat
    cspeech_TX.dat
    cspeech_UT.dat
    cspeech_VA.dat
    cspeech_VT.dat
    cspeech_WA.dat
    cspeech_WI.dat
    cspeech_WV.dat
    cspeech_WY.dat
    faces.dat
    faces.met
    mapinfo.dat
    MapServerPatch.dat
    North_America_2GB.pna
    North_America_2GB-297.meta
    North_America_2GB-297.meta.dct
    PatchFilter.dat
    poi.dat
    profiles.dat
    Safety_Cam_US_Canada_TomTom.ov2
    Safety_Cam_US_Canada_TomTom.ov2.dct
    Safety_Cam_US_Canada_TomTomOv2.ver
    ServerLineIndex.dat
    ServerNameIndex.dat
    tables.dat
    tmccodes.dat
    traffic.dat

If so, copy this map folder to the computer

Then format your tomtom drive. Don't use quickformat.

Connect your unit to Home and install the application offered.

Then restore the map folder to the unit.

Try that.
  • sing 0 Points
    Thanks for your help.

I ran chkdsk from my win7 pc, they found lost files and fix the problem. Now I can sucessfully run backup from Home backup and the GPS boot up fine.

The map folder is very different than your list. I got the major files are as below

North_America_p
    -cline.dat 647,173KB
    -cname.dat 158,971KB
    -cphoneme.dat 219,173KB
    -poi.dat 298,574KB

I know that seems my internal memeory has problem. I should format that, but it may be too ricky because GPS is working now. Are you sure after format the hard drive I can restore software and map?
  • dhn 336 Points
    Yeah, but DON't use Home for backups/restores.

Use Explorer instead.
  • sing 0 Points
    I think I need to format tomtom drive because it will reboot itself. Can you tell me more about the procedure? I don't have CD from the box. After format tomtom drive, how I can put back the software. Seems my US map folder is fine, but how to get and install tomtom software?

Thanks
  • dhn 336 Points
    Use Explorer to make the backup, as I said. I don't have W7 here but the process should be similar in that once the backup is made and you are SURE it resides on the computer, then in Windows, right click the drive depicted by the tomtom and somewhere in the menu should be format.

Once that is done, use Explorer and copy back from the computer ONLY the map folder.

Next, connect to Home and you should be offered an application. Accept, install and disconnect from Home properly using the Device Disconnect icon.

Any better?
  • sing 0 Points
    It is fully working now.

Thank you.
  • dhn 336 Points
    You are welcome.

Now, make another Explorer backup to a different folder on your computer :lol: