This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Just purchased a used one. Is it Garbage?

JMorrison914 0 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
I just purchased a used TOMTOM One 3rd edition. I got it from a friend he upgraded and I needed one, nice. Soo I know nothing about GPS devices (I'm a rookie) Well I'm tooling around with this thing and hell, it is very slow on the response when I touch the screen, or when I pretty much do anything rather. Also I can't even get the thing to find the Caravelle Resorts in Myrtle Beach. Did I just waste my money? Or does it need some kind of reboot or something to give it a "cough to clear its lungs" kinda clean to work faster? /

Comments

• dhn 336 Points
    Tap the satellite bars on the unit and the next screen shows the application version number. Tap the version number and the following screen shows the map installed and its version number.

Can you report back the map and version number, please? The current map is 865.
  • It says v825 :(
  • dhn 336 Points
    Well, that map is about 2 years old and may explain why roads aren't accurate.
  • Nice. So now what dhn? Download TOMTOMHome and upgrade the map?
  • dhn 336 Points
    That's your choice. If you go here:
    http://www.routes.tomtom.com/#/map/?center=63.735,-96.294999999999&zoom=1&map=basic

and go hunting for some streets missing from your current map, you'll get an idea if they are in the 865 map.

If so, then indeed you may wish to purchase an updated map for your unit.
  • mdng 0 Points
    Keep in mind, this is the budget model, so there's not a whole lotta memory in it, thus there is a limit as to how many POIs (point of interests) come up when you do a search. Also, see how much the map update will cost you, you may be off buying a newer refurbirshed model. I'd just use it as is until it dies.
  • Yes there is limited amount of space left. 684MB left. The new map is 775MB, do I delete my current map and then purchase the new one?
  • dhn 336 Points
    Normally, an updated map just overwrites the exiting one so there should be enough space as is but it's always a good idea to do an explorer, not home, backup prior to a new map installation. Just in case.....
  • What is an explorer backup? I did the backup off of "TOMTOM Home 2"
  • dhn 336 Points
    Windows Explorer.

Create a folder on your computer called something like 'TomTom backup 5/3' and then, with the unit connected to the computer, highlight everything on the unit, Ctl-C for copy and then highlight the folder you created on the computer and do a Ctl-V (paste) to paste the contents of the unit to the folder on the computer.
  • okay. Done. Now what? Purchase the new map version and upload it to my TOMTOM?
  • dhn 336 Points
    Yes.
  • does it usually take a long time? i purchased the new map about 30 mins ago and it is still copying stage...
  • its updated now. thanks for the help..
  • dhn 336 Points
    Make another Explorer backup of the unit's contents. Better safe than sorry.
  • spokybob 0 Points
    A friend just bought a TT ONE at Goodwill. I bought a new SD card before I downloaded the new map for him. The unit only had the island of Guam on it when he bought it. The old SD card was labeled US & Canada, but the map was missing.
    I had fun using the TT for the last week or so. It has some nice features but it doesn't fit my needs at all. I hope he likes it.